BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
logo.gif
Another journalist falls
By Editorial Published: March 1, 2013

513928-malikmumtaz-1362080257-683-640x480.jpg

Malik Mumtaz was a senior journalist working with The News International. PHOTO: GEO NEWS

We already know that Pakistan has now been declared one of the most dangerous places in the world for media professionals by international watchdog bodies. In 2012, seven journalists were killed across the country, five of them in targeted attacks. As we enter 2013, more blood has been shed. Malik Mumtaz, who worked for Geo News and its affiliated newspapers was shot dead, while on his way back home from Miranshah. Gunmen, who drove up in a car with tinted windowpanes, shot at him and he died almost instantly.

The motives for the murder are unclear. Mr Mumtaz had an impeccable record amongst fellow professionals for his work and character. He was also chairman of the Miranshah Press Club. The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan has denied having anything to do with the incident, making it all the more urgent that authorities launch a full investigation into the killing of a man who had insisted on continuing to work in North Waziristan despite warnings apparently issued by his colleagues, who had suggested that he leave. His refusal to do so reflects both his courage and commitment to the people of his native area.

The reason behind killing journalists is almost certainly to prevent accurate information from reaching the people. These killings also continue because many of them have never been properly investigated, a case in point being that of Hayatullah Khan’s kidnapping and murder in North Waziristan in 2006. Authorities must play a more effective role in ensuring that the lives of media professionals are safe, given that they are performing a vital service by providing citizens with access to information, which is a basic right. If journalists are unable to perform their duty, all of society will suffer to some degree. The idea that journalists are no longer safe anywhere in the country already adds to the negative image of Pakistan in the world.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 1st, 2013.

RIP. From the article:

The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan has denied having anything to do with the incident, making it all the more urgent that authorities launch a full investigation into the killing of a man who had insisted on continuing to work in North Waziristan despite warnings apparently issued by his colleagues, who had suggested that he leave.

Say what?

RIP. From the article:
the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan has denied having anything to do with the incident, making it all the more urgent that authorities launch a full investigation into the killing of a man who had insisted on continuing to work in North Waziristan despite warnings apparently issued by his colleagues, who had suggested that he leave.
Say what?
That was my reaction, too! Why is it "all the more urgent" to investigate if the TTP denied involvement? Why did his colleagues seem to know something that the deceased and his readers did not and if the editor know what it is, why not share it with his readers?

Told you before, we don't need lecutes on humanity and civil rights from hypocrites like you (not personally but for the country you represent)

That was my reaction, too! Why is it "all the more urgent" to investigate if the TTP denied involvement? Why did his colleagues seem to know something that the deceased and his readers did not and if the editor know what it is, why not share it with his readers?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you want us to believe that TTP have no hand in this and we should take their word and trust them? since when did you start listening to terrorists, ? oH! apologies i forgot you are already negotiating with them, post 2014 withdrawal.

Coming back to the topic then yest I agree with you that if editor knows something then why not come clean, why hide behind a curtain and point fingers at Agencies (yeah i know where are you going with this). And no information has been provided that what was he working on, if you know please share the link.

If fingers are being pointed to agencies because gunmen were travelling in a vehicle with tinted window, then my dear in Pakistan 25% tint is allowed legally. However still allot of people have 75% tinted windows and travel around without any issue, unless its a Cantt area or Islamabad. Let me know when you come to Pakistan next time, I will take you out for a spin with 100% tint,

This is the reason I always say to you guys stick with your stuff and don't talk about our country and agencies because you know sh!!t about this country

Told you before, we don't need lecutes on humanity and civil rights from hypocrites like you (not personally but for the country you represent)
Apparently just my avatar is enough to inflame you as this thread isn't about me lecturing anybody.

So you want us to believe that TTP have no hand in this -
Not at all. I am wondering what the author was getting at, just like Eyeless in Gaza.[/quote]

Apparently just my avatar is enough to inflame you as this thread isn't about me lecturing anybody.

Not at all. I am wondering what the author was getting at, just like Eyeless in Gaza.
[/QUOTE]
Come'on solomon we all know what you are getting at, otherwise you wouldn'y have posted the topic,

It is very easy for these journalists to point fingers at agencies when one of them is killed, if ttp denies the responsiblity then it is the agencies, why no one points to the fact that third force or personal enemity can have a hand in this...

...why no one points to the fact that third force or personal enemity can have a hand in this...
Are there any other journalist-killing outfits known to be active in N. Waz other than TTP-associated terrorists or Pakistan's own "agencies"? Was this man known to have personal enemies? I suppose the answer to both these questions is No, which answers your question as well.

Are there any other journalist-killing outfits known to be active in N. Waz other than TTP-associated terrorists or Pakistan's own "agencies"? Was this man known to have personal enemies? I suppose the answer to both these questions is No, which answers your question as well.
And I asked earlier from you, which you didn't answer, what was this guy working on? what evidence is their that this man was shot dead by Intel people? If TTP say they didn't do it then would you also trust if Intel agencies deny any hand in this? I guess not, you will stick with intelligence agency bashing as usual.
People get killed due to small arguements on the road side it doesn't have to be a family fued, as I said please don't talk out of your bottoms.

Another Journalist Killed

Gunmen kill senior journalist in Balochistan

QUETTA: Armed gunmen killed senior journalist Mehmood Jan Afridi in Kalat town of Balochistan on Friday evening.

Deputy Commissioner Kalat, Bashir Ahmed Bazai said gunmen on a motorcycle opened fire at Mehmood Jan Afridi in Bus Addah area of Kalat.

He said the assailants managed to escape from the spot. Police and levies personnel reached the area and started investigation into the incident.

“This seems to be an act of targeted killing”, Bazai said. The dead body of slain journalist was shifted to civil hospital Kalat.

Mehmood Jan Afridi was working as reporter with Daily Intekhab. He had been a journalist for the last twenty years.

Gunmen kill senior journalist in Balochistan | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

R.I.P to the dead.

.... I suppose the answer to both these questions is No,

You suppose an awful alot, and in cases like these, suppositions based on nothing don't really carry any weight.

He was in Miranshah...you don't have to have alot of bad blood with anybody to get killed in places like these. There are literally hundreds of reasons somebody could have killed him.

Why do we always have to blame the agencies or Army or FC for anything that happens in the country? Sure the past may not be hunky dory, but that doesn't mean that every other fart by any guy has to be sponsored by agencies.

And I asked earlier from you, which you didn't answer, what was this guy working on?..
No, you didn't. You seem to be a rather confused person today. Why not grab a lassi and kick back for a bit?

Back
Top Bottom