What's new

Anna Hazare released from jail after India-wide protests, begins fasting

Jan Lokapl Bill

• Total voters
Manoj S Menon, Cochin (Kochhi) wants support to organise fast / protest march in his city, please contact him on 9020117048 or email iac.cochin@gmail.com

Chetan Bhagat: Govt must meet people's demands, India needs a clean democracy!!!

First they should accede to our demands of forming a committee with half the members of civil society for drafting strong anti-corruption law!!!- Anna

I support Anna Hazare. Our country has suffered from corruption for too long... NOW is the time we get together and do something about it: Farhan Akhtar's Tweet

Have decided to go to Jantar Mantar in support of Anna Hazare and millions of INDIANS who are sick and tired of corruption in our country.:) : Anupam Kher's Tweet

Daily protest meet in Chennai: Gandhi Study Centre, Thakkar Bapa Vidyalaya, T Nagar, contact - Mr. Annamalai-9444183198 Pls spread message and join!!!

Join the fast in Chandigarh: 7-8 April, Sec-7-18 Roundabout and 9-10 April, Sec-17 Plaza, Opp Neelam Cinema!!!

Freedom Park, Opp: Maharani College, Bangalore , Come and Join. Make Freedom Park as one more Jantar Mantar

In just three days, Anna Hazare's fight has now been joined by millions of Indians!!!

Rediff reporting this.

K'taka Lokayukta to head Lokpal Bill panel?:
Karnataka Lokayukta, Justice Santosh Hegde, the ombudsman battling corruption in Karnataka may well head the joint committee panel on the Lokpal Bill. The government is against Anna Hazare chairing the panel, while Hazare's supporters want him as chairperson. Justice Hegde may will be the man.
Rediff.com's Vicky Nanjappa spoke to the Justice, who said he was impressed with the manner in which Anna Hazare has taken on the government this time.
"We would need many more Hazares in our country and I support him 100 per cent in what he is doing. He is 100 per cent right in what he is doing and I want to tell all those persons criticizing him that what he has been doing is not a gimmick.
"Someone like Hazare has come out to fight this and all of a sudden there are hundreds who want to criticise this man. What is the point in talking ill about someone who has decided to do something.
"The fact remains that there is someone who has raised their voice against this issue," he said.
Read the full interview shortly on rediff.com

This is not against any specific political party. Its against all political vultures, whos only aim is to loot the country.

If I were in India, I would have gone and sit for a day or two for the nobble cause. Guys please provide your support to the extent possible. The Politicians and Babus of India Inc. needs to be cleansed. Its what the present time wants and so shall it be!!

For those who have not heard Anna's speech today evening in my poor translation:

The Minister was saying that the government should form the committee, why we should bring outsiders in it. Areee........He was calling them outsider....They (the public) are your masters and you (the Netas) are the servents. He was describing his masters as outsiders!!!!! They (the Netas) need training , so that they can remember they are actually the 'Sevaks' (servents)....

I enjoyed it most........

Cops, industrialists join Hazare's anti-corruption campaign

KANPUR: Anna Hazare's movement against corruption is gaining momentum. This could be gauged from the fact that scores of people from different castes, creed, religion and ages came forward to support him.

The Indian Industries Association (IIA) had also supported Hazare, who has been demanding a strong anti-corruption bill to be tabled in the Parliament. The members of association sat on a hunger strike at IIA Bhawan on Thursday. They also took out a candle march in the evening to Dada Nagar and raised anti-corruption slogans, stating that time has come to save the country from the clutches of corrupt politicians.

Extending support to Hazare's crusade against corruption, India Against Corruption, a NGO floated by the youth took out a candle march from Khalsi Line in Gwaltoli. People of all ages, including schoolchildren participated in it. Students of Indian Institute of Technology, Hartcourt Butler Technological Institute, CSMU and various other mangement and engineering institutes took part in the candle light march. They pledged that they will fight for the good cause.

"We will not let the movement die down because for the first time the masses have united for a such a noble cause. We all have been left high and dry by the corrupt politicians and now its right time to pay them back," said a student who was participating in the candle march.

IITian Amit Kumar Byahut said: "In order to get more support for Anna, we have opened a campaign on Facebook, where people are joining for the cause."

The method adopted by Hazare has given people a chance to spill their anger on the roads. Another candlelight march was taken out an NGO from LIC building on Mall Road to Phoolbagh. People from all walks of life like university teachers, doctors, engineers, social activists and commoners participated in the march.

"We have come here to support Anna who is fighting for a noble cause," said SP Singh, head of history department, Christ Church College.

Members of another NGO formed a human chain from Motijheel to Coca Cola crossing. RTI activist Mahesh Pandey said: "Initially we were just 20 people to form a human chain later the number kept on growing. Some 200 people were present at Motijheel and formed a chain. An old woman from a rural background joined us. Corruption could be fought with the support of masses."

A signature campaign which was organised near district court. Cops too arrived at the scene and joined the fight against corruption. A large number of lawyers wrote slogans. Around 1,200 people had signed and written slogans on the 60 metres long banner.

Around 300 people wrote a message on a postcard in support of Hazare. It was adressed to the President.

Which Watch Dog you want-

070411satish.jpg

I went today to Jantar Mantar and what an awesome atmosphere was there. Watching a revolution on Media and being a part of it is having different feeling. If you are around Delhi NCR do visit the place trust me, you wont regret. (PS: When I left the place, Police stopped people to enter.. what a Un democratic way to protest).

On Anna Hazare and Fasting

I am surprised at the degree to which Anna Hazare's fast-unto-death for the Lokpal bill has caught the entire Indian middle class' imagination. The internates and the blogosphares and twittervarses are abuzz with posts that either support Hazare's idealistic cause, or cynically dismiss it as something futile and/or a publicity stunt.

As someone who grew up in Maharashtra in the 90s and early 2000s, the headline "Anna Hazare declares fast unto death" is not a new one. No un-elected official, not even Bal Thackeray, has had as much impact on Maharashtra politics in the last two decades as Anna Hazare. Obviously, most non-Maharashtrians have little idea about Hazare, his track record, and so on. So I thought of writing a post to address the problems with what I have been hearing from both sides - the Anna-doubters as well as the Anna-cheerleaders.

Let's first look at what the Anna-doubters say. The talk of this being a publicity stunt is so outrageously wrong, it doesn't even deserve a rebuttal. The man has dedicated his life to social work and activisim, with a reasonable level of success, without gaining anything for himself. He doesn't need publicity. There is nothing in it for him. Even if Anna Hazare ended his fast today, and retired from his activism to spend his time gardening and watching TV, he will still be remembered as a moral and utilitarian colossus in the fight against corruption.

The other point raised by Anna-doubters merits rebuttal - that fasting or protesting against corruption doesn't really serve any purpose or solve any problems. That his heart is in the right place, but all his agitations do is give the media and the middle class something to talk about sanctimoniously for a few days, and then everything goes back to the way it was.

While Anna Hazare never has and never could "root out corruption", the record shows that his agitations and/or fasts have hardly been futile. Anna Hazare's anti-corruption agitation in 1994 or so (combined with the whistleblowing by BMC official Khairnar) played a big role in turning the public opinion against Sharad Pawar's Maharashtra government. They lost the election, bringing the BJP-Shiv Sena combine to power.

Hazare's crusade against corruption continued despite the change in guard in the Vidhan Sabha. Throughout the SS-BJP rule, Hazare exposed corruption, occasionally going on fasts to demand action. I can recall at least a half a dozen Ministers (including Shashikant Sutar, then MLA for my own constituency in Pune) having to resign or being forced out because of Hazare's agitation.

In one instance, the accused minister...I think his name was Gholap, filed a defamation case against Hazare. Our great court system found Hazare guilty and sentenced him to a few months in prison. He was sent to jail, but the public outcry was so large that Thackeray himself ordered the government to commute his sentence and let him go. Gholap's right hand man was arrested for corruption, and Gholap himself was eased out of the party. Nevertheless, Hazare's continued agitation demonstrated to the Maharashtra voters the extent of corruption even in the (then perceived as) clean Shiv Sena party. The SS-BJP lost the next election in 1999 and haven't been able to return to power since.

Who replaced the SS-BJP? Obviously, Congress-NCP, i.e. Pawar and co, against whom Hazare had first started his agitation. Anna-doubters will point to this regression-to-mean as an example of the futility of his fasts. Well, it's hardly his fault that there is no viable alternative in the Indian polity, is it? The fact remains that his agitations have caught public imagination, made heads roll, and played a big role in toppling governments.

Until about 2000, Hazare's agitation was focused on corrupt individuals. After that, he focused more on systemic problems. He started demanding, among other things, a Right to Information Act for Maharashtra. In the first half of the last decade, he went on a couple of fasts, first to demand that the Maharashtra government pass the Right to Information Act, and then to ask that it be implemented, not just kept on the books.

I remember one particular agitation in 2002 or 2003. The Maharashtra government had passed the RTI, but was not implementing it yet, citing flimsy procedural excuses. Hazare declared...no, not a fast-unto-death, but a maun vrat! A vow of silence! he refused to speak until the government acted on his demands, the chief among them, to implement the RTI.

I remember thinking that the old man had lost it. Fasts carry the weight of the "what if he dies?" question that can spur the powers that be into action. Who the heck is going to care if this dude sitting in Ralegan-Siddhi talks or not. But it worked!

The public response even to the maun vrat was so powerful that the Maharashtra government immediately passed an ordinance implementing the RTI law. Hazare broke his vow of silence only after the government took that step. And over the next couple of years, Hazare kept tabs on the RTI implementation, threatening hunger strikes, until it was fully operational to his satisfaction.

Although other states had their own RTIs several years before, it was the much-more-powerful Maharashtra RTI and the activism surrounding it that played a big role in getting the RTI passed at the Union government level too. If I recall correctly, the national RTI law was almost identifcal to the Maharashtra law.

So Hazare's impact has gone beyond just getting a few corrupt Ministers early (or temporary) exits and replacing one corrupt Maharashtra government with another. The RTI movement owes a lot to him and his fasts.

Now on to the Anna-cheerleaders. Yes, his integrity and devotion is impeccable. His zeal for fighting corruption is more intense than any on-screen Bollywood vigilante's. But his tactic of fasting worries me. As a libertarian, I believe everyone has a right to do whatever they want with their body, and that includes fasting unto death. But the tactic is fraught with ethical issues.

It is "do as I say, or I will kill myself", so is fundamentally no different from someone standing on the ledge of a tall building and threatening to jump unless their demands are met. In Anna's hands, the weapon of fasting unto death has mostly been used for the right reasons. But do you know that nation-wide prohibition of alcohol is (or at least used to be until a few years back) one of his causes? If you like your occasional drink, how will you feel if his next fast is for prohibition?

I am not saying it will be. Hazare has so far used the fasting tactic only for important issues. But imagining your own response to someone fasting unto death or killing himself demanding prohibition, or a Ram temple, or a book ban will demonstrate the ethical problems with the tactic itself. It amounts to blackmail. Blackmail in a just cause is still blackmail.

Then there is this specific Lokpal bill issue that he is fasting for. I agree with Hazare's broad sentiment about the need for checks and balances against widespread corruption, but I am not sure the Lokpal bill, or the way he demands it, is the way forward. My thoughts on the perils of such a bill closely mirror those of Pratap Bhanu Mehta so I will point you to his superb article.

To summarize, Anna-doubters and Anna-cheerleaders both have some of it right and some of it wrong. Whether you agree or disagree with me on the efficacy of his hunger strikes in the past, depends on where you set the bar for efficacy in a country as rife with corruption and a lack of accountability as India. Whether you agree or disagree with me on the ethical issues with hunger strikes depends on your moral compass and the ends-v-means debate.

One thing we can all agree on - Anna Hazare is a strong, motivated, and morally gigantic individual, whose self-control and passion for a cause is something few of us could even dream of emulating. Agree or disagree with him, you have to doff your hat to him.

Vantage point: On Anna Hazare and Fasting

Of the few, by the few

Sometimes a sense of unbridled virtue can also subvert democracy. The agitation by civil society activists over the Jan Lokpal Bill is a reminder of this uncomfortable truth. There is a great deal of justified consternation over corruption. The obduracy of the political leadership is testing the patience of citizens. But the movement behind the Jan Lokpal Bill is crossing the lines of reasonableness. It is premised on an institutional imagination that is at best naïve; at worst subversive of representative democracy.

The morality of fasting unto death for a political cause in a constitutional democracy has always been a tricky issue. There is something deeply coercive about fasting unto death. When it is tied to an unparalleled moral eminence, as it is in the case of Anna Hazare, it amounts to blackmail. There may be circumstances, where the tyranny of government is so oppressive, or the moral cause at stake so vital that some such method of protest is called for. But in a functioning constitutional democracy, not having one’s preferred institutional solution to a problem accepted, does not constitute a sufficient reason for the exercise of such coercive moral power. This is not the place to debate when a fast-unto-death is appropriate. But B.R. Ambedkar was surely right, in one of his greatest speeches, to warn that recourse to such methods was opening up a democracy to the “grammar of anarchy”.

Corruption is a challenge. And public agitation is required to shame government. But it is possible to maintain, in reasonable good faith, that the Jan Lokpal Bill is not necessarily the best, or the only solution to the corruption challenge. We should not turn a complex institutional question into a simplistic moral imperative. Many of the people in the movement for the Jan Lokpal Bill have set examples of sacrifice and integrity that lesser mortals can scarcely hope to emulate. But it is the high vantage point of virtue that has occluded from view certain uncomfortable truths about institutions.

The various drafts of the Jan Lokpal Bill are, very frankly, an institutional nightmare. To be fair, the bill is a work in progress. But the general premises that underlie the various drafts border on being daft. They amount to an unparalleled concentration of power in one institution that will literally be able to summon any institution and command any kind of police, judicial and investigative power. Power, divided in a democracy, can often be alibi for evading responsibility. But it is also a guarantee that the system is not at the mercy of a few good men. Having concentrated immense power, it then displays extraordinary faith in the virtue of those who will wield this power. Why do we think this institution will be incorruptible? The answer seems to be that the selection mechanism will somehow ensure a superior quality of guardians. Why? Because the selection committee, in addition to the usual virtuous judges, will have, as one draft very reassuringly put it, two of the “most recent Magsaysay Award Winners”. Then there is no sense of jurisdiction and limits. It is not going to look at corruption only. It can even look into “wasteful” expenditure. They can, potentially usurp all policy prerogatives of democratic governments. So many accountability institutions, in the name of accountability, are not distinguishing between policy issues and corruption. They are perpetuating the myth that government can function without any discretionary judgment.

But the demand is premised on an idea that non-elected institutions that do not involve politicians are somehow the only ones that can be trusted. This assumption is false. Institutions of all kinds have succeeded and failed. But the premise of so much accountability discourse is not just contempt of politicians, but contempt of representative democracy. This contempt is reflected in two ways. There are several mechanisms of accountability in place. They have not worked as well as they should; vested interests have subverted them. But interestingly, despite those interests, governments are being called to account. Most of us are as aghast as any of the agitators about the evasions of government. But it does not follow that creating a draconian new institution that diminishes everything from the Prime Minister’s Office to the Supreme Court is a solution. The net result of a “Lokpal” will be to weaken the authority of even other well-functioning institutions. No agitation focuses on sensible, manageable reform of representative institutions; all agitative energies are premised on bypassing them. Perhaps some version of a Lokpal is desirable. But reasonable people can disagree over this matter. To many of us, this proposal seems like the way we approached educational reform: if BA is not good quality, introduce MA; since MA does not work, have MPhil; since we can’t trust our PhDs, have a further NET exam, endlessly deferring to new institutions at the top of the food chain without attending to basics. We should, as citizens, not be subject to the moral coercion of a fast-unto-death on this issue.

But the claim that the “people” are not represented by elected representatives, but are represented by their self-appointed guardians is disturbing. In a democracy, one ought to freely express views. But anyone who claims to be the “authentic” voice of the people is treading on very thin ice indeed. It is a form of Jacobinism that is intoxicated with its own certainties about the people. It is not willing to subject itself to an accountability, least of all to the only mechanism we know of designating representatives: elections. The demand that a Jan Lokpal Bill be drafted jointly by the government and a self-appointed committee of public virtue is absurd. Most of us sharply disagree with elected government on matters even more important than corruption. But no matter how cogent our arguments, it does not give us the right to say that our virtue entitles us to dictate policy to a representative process.

In an age of cynicism, Anna Hazare is a colossus of idealism. His sacrifices should cause all of us to introspect. It should be in the service of self-transformation, not a vilification of political processes. Virtue has an impatience with processes and institutions that needs to be checked. It is a dangerous illusion to pedal that badly designed new institutions will be a magic wand to remove corruption. All they will do is promote wishful thinking and distract from the myriads of prosaic decisions that will be required to get a better politics.

The writer is president, Centre for Policy Research, Delhi

Of the few, by the few

Back
Top Bottom