What's new

Andaman & Nicobar to have runways every 100 miles

CONNAN

Reaction score
Country
India
The Hindu Business Line : Andaman and Nicobar Islands to have runways every 100 miles

Andaman and Nicobar Islands to have runways every 100 miles

PORT BLAIR: After Port Blair, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are now set to have full-length ‘all weather and all aircraft’ runways after every 100 miles, an official said.

“Every 100 miles or so you will find an airfield capable of operating all aircrafts (which could include commercial ones) in all-weather conditions,” the Commander-in-Chief of the Islands, Mr D.K. Joshi, said.

At present, only Port Blair has a full-fledged runway capable of operating all kinds of aircraft but considering the height of a hill on the eastern side, it’s a uni-directional airstrip. However, it’s planned to be made bi-directional soon.

The runways in Car Nicobar, Shibpur and Campbell Bay are also proposed to be upgraded into full-length runways.

Meanwhile, Defence officials said the Taj Group is setting up a venture to boost tourism in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, even as corporates are flocking with major investments.

“Tourism and other developmental activities are poised for high growth in the immediate future,” they said.

Also on the anvil is a container transshipment hub at Campbell Bay, for which feasibility study is in progress. — PTI

Good move and a Good plan for India's natural aircraft carrier.:tup:

We need to install deep listening ports in Andaman as well as Maldives ASAP...Sometimes I think BJP has much better policy in national security matters.

I think thats agreat decision...we need to develop the area more for military operations.

We need to install deep listening ports in Andaman as well as Maldives ASAP...Sometimes I think BJP has much better policy in national security matters.

That is extremely important..chinese already have a listening post in the coco islands.

Good news as there is development as well as defense up gradation :cheers:

That is extremely important..chinese already have a listening post in the coco islands.

What steps are being taken by the India's Defence to counter this activity.....is there a way to shield our communication? What sties do th worlds greatest armies use?

I think we will need external help (Russia , Israel and maybe US) for this..

It remains to be seen how this Runway's will opeated and more importantly what will be the Logistical appartus to sustain all this runways. Runways must have been developed keeping in mind rising Airforce might in the East and most importantly Indonesians intentions of acquiring 180 Flankers.

Back
Top Bottom