What's new

Ancient Indians Practiced Plastic Surgery

EyanKhan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
481257071.jpg

Unlike the Greeks and Romans, many ancient Indian warriors didn’t wear protective helmets. Given the nature of ancient warfare, ears, noses, and other parts had a tendency to get lopped off. To address these traumas, Hindu doctors devised procedures which would not be entirely out of place in modern surgery.

With warfare and harsh punishments for petty crimes taking the noses of many Indians, Indian surgeons became adept at performing rhinoplasty procedures. Indian surgeons cut a flap of skin from the patient’s forehead, which was then folded over the nasal openings to create the new nose. Hollow tubes were inserted to form the nostrils while the operation healed. Successful operations had been recorded by 500 B.C.

A more horrifying but life-saving procedure was a form of suture Indian surgeons employed. Mending an intestinal or abdominal wound was tricky, because traditional needle-and-thread stitching might further perforate the wounded organs, preventing healing and inviting infection. The solution?Bengali ants. They bite anything they touch with clamp-like jaws. Surgeons drew flaps of the damaged organ together and carefully applied the ants, which functioned like modern-day surgical staples. The surgeon then cut away the ants’ bodies, leaving the jaws behind. The body’s immune system then slowly broke down the jaws as the wound healed.

credits; Listverse

Sources 1 Ancient Medicine: From Sorcery to Surgery - Michael Woods, Mary Boyle Woods - Google Books

2 The Book of Origins: Discover the Amazing Origins of the Clothes We Wear ... - Trevor Homer - Google Books greeks surgery noses&f=false

I really came to know about some pretty awesome and some pretty weird stuff about my country from listverse which I never read and heard anywhere else and after some cross checking I found all of them to be true.

The 2 most important texts on surgery were the Sushruta Samhita and the Caraka Samhita.

I really came to know about some pretty awesome and some pretty weird stuff about my country from listverse which I never read and heard anywhere else and after some cross checking I found all of them to be true.
you a regular reader of listverse?

Back
Top Bottom