What's new

Ancient Greek Apollo statue discovered in Gaza

Turks don't waste their time with genetics like some people. We just appreciate our noble blood and that is about it. I won't go into food wars since it is kind of useless. If somebody visits the regions he can make his own mind which food he likes. It is personal thing.

Just saying middle eastern food solves it all.
Or this one, but be carefull it hits you like a train. :D
Ask @T-123456 how to drink, hes a Raki expert.:whistle:

Efe%2BYa%C5%9F%2B%C3%9Cz%C3%BCm%2BMeze%2BMasas%C4%B1.jpg

1) One look at the pic and I thought that the statue was a charred body or a body covered with volcanic ash.(Blame my mobile :coffee:) But the article proved me wrong.
2) I am still wondering how could that fisherman pull out such a heavy statue out of water (500kgs if I not wrong).
I do believe the theory that it was found on land and not in water.Water would have eroded the statue by now.

1) One look at the pic and I thought that the statue was a charred body or a body covered with volcanic ash.(Blame my mobile :coffee:) But the article proved me wrong.
2) I am still wondering how could that fisherman pull out such a heavy statue out of water (500kgs if I not wrong).
I do believe the theory that it was found on land and not in water.Water would have eroded the statue by now.
well lady you are forgetting a few things here....
the statue is made of bronze - an alloy of copper and tin......as from the fig.(if it's the real one) we can see the green color exfoliation on the statue...which suggest the oxidation of copper....so, it the one reason which suggest the statue was in area with lot of moisture.....copper and it's alloy do not erode easily over time.because of the formation the protective oxide covering...so, there is real chance of the bronze statue being safe under water......
+.. yes the 500Kg of weight seems a bit too much but again there is bouncy which will lessen the statue weight under water..so, that the saute can be lifted(though not easily..)..:)

the statue is made of bronze - an alloy of copper and tin......as from the fig.(if it's the real one) we can see the green color exfoliation on the statue...which suggest the oxidation of copper....so, it the one reason which suggest the statue was in area with lot of moisture.....copper and it's alloy do not erode easily over time.because of the formation the protective oxide covering...so, there is real chance of the bronze statue being safe under water......
+.. yes the 500Kg of weight seems a bit too much but again there is bouncy which will lessen the statue weight under water..so, that the saute can be lifted(though not easily..)..:)
sherlock holmes :lol: :enjoy:

the statue is made of bronze - an alloy of copper and tin......as from the fig.(if it's the real one) we can see the green color exfoliation on the statue...which suggest the oxidation of copper....so, it the one reason which suggest the statue was in area with lot of moisture.....copper and it's alloy do not erode easily over time.because of the formation the protective oxide covering...so, there is real chance of the bronze statue being safe under water.....
I liked what you said of bronze and the oxidation.Yes the oxide formed would have protected the statue from further oxidation.
And I also agree to the fact that weight of an object reduces underwater because of buoyancy.But think of it......500kgs???
Hmmmmmm...
I will have to use some old formulas and archemedes principle to calculate weight underwater. :)

I liked what you said of bronze and the oxidation.Yes the oxide formed would have protected the statue from further oxidation.
And I also agree to the fact that weight of an object reduces underwater because of buoyancy.But think of it......500kgs???
Hmmmmmm...
I will have to use some old formulas to calculate weight underwater. :)
if the fisherman boat have power lifting or even pulley driven system(which most of the boat these days have) then it won't be of much problem....:)
under water weight can only be calculated if the volume of the submerged body is provided to you.....from where will you get that... under water weight = real weight - mass of water displaced by object.....
so, mass of water need, vol. of object....which we don't have...:)

if the fisherman boat have power lifting or even pulley driven system(which most of the boat these days have) then it won't be of much problem....:)
under water weight can only be calculated if the volume of the submerged body is provided to you.....from where will you get that... under water weight = real weight - mass of water displaced by object.....
so, mass of water need, vol. of object....which we don't have...:)
I knew that...
Weight of a submerged object = weight on land - vol of water displaced.
Nohhh??

So fine fisherman is telling the truth.:)
And most probably his mom was indeed unhappy when he brought his bronze catch home.:)

sherlock holmes :lol: :enjoy:
Dont doubt demii's intelligence.
I have observed he is a very very smart guy.Very intelligent indeed!

I knew that...
Weight of a submerged object = weight on land - vol of water displaced.
Nohhh??
aaahhhh.... don't worry.....I never doubted you....:)
I was just trying to act cool,...that's all..:D:D

So fine fisherman is telling the truth.:)
And most probably his mom was indeed unhappy when he brought his bronze catch home.:)

Dont doubt demii's intelligence.
I have observed he is a very very smart guy.Very intelligent indeed!
yes maybe..he is true...:)
Thanks for appreciation, it's very comforting but plz.. delete last two line ..it make me feel like an idiot....:)

Last edited:

Someone seems to have taken metallurgy a bit too seriously. :D btw, that green oxidation coating is known as Verdigris. But I believe that coat of verdigris may have already been on the statue when it submerged, as the percentage of dissolved oxygen in sea water is usually very low, and brine/sea water is also used to prevent oxidation. :-)

Someone seems to have taken metallurgy a bit too seriously. :D btw, that green oxidation coating is known as Verdigris. But I believe that coat of verdigris may have already been on the statue when it submerged, as the percentage of dissolved oxygen in sea water is usually very low, and brine/sea water is also used to prevent oxidation. :-)
ya ,... knew that...
clear.png
:-)

ohhhh myyyyy
fainting-smiley.gif

What am I doing on this thread when we've such experts here.
kneel-smiley.gif

@Dem!god @Indischer
When you guys solve this case just inform me:smokin:.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom