What's new

Americans' household wealth rises to $89.1 trillion

My wife and I achieved our "wealth" almost entirely through our income as salaried employees. Of our four parents, only my mother had a college degree, a school teacher. I earned a PhD in physics and my wife has a Masters degree in Music but became proficient as a self-taught computer network administrator. We both worked for Fortune 500 companies and paid US, State and local income taxes on all our income. All together we inherited ~ $50,000 from our deceased parents. We accumulated wealth primarily by saving ~ 25% of our joint income for a period of ~ 10 years when we were in our mid-40's to mid 50's. We invested those savings in 401K plans that were primarily Vanguard Index Funds. We haven't gained very much in the past decade because we left the US stock market in 2007 before the big losses at the end of 2008. If we had had the courage to jump back in to the US stock market in 2008 or '09, we would have another $3M of wealth! Oh well, what we have is plenty for the rest of our lives. Our children are all quite self-sufficient.

Well many people point at the US and say "hey they have no money in the bank". If you have a nice job you probably have a 401K plan. Pretty much everybody I know maxes out theirs (which of course may not always be possible depending upon income) and with a company match that adds up quick (I think it's around $18K this year + match). So it doesn't even take 5 years to have $100K. Yes people may not have $1M in the bank but they may have it in their retirement account after years and years of working.

Last edited:
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/stanley-millionaire.html

The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of American's Wealthy

CHAPTER ONE
Meet the Millionaire Next Door

• These people cannot be millionaires! They don't look like millionaires, they don't dress like millionaires, they don't eat like millionaires, they don't act like millionaires--they don't even have millionaire names. Where are the millionaires who look like millionaires?
The person who said this was a vice president of a trust department. He made these comments following a focus group interview and dinner that we hosted for ten first-generation millionaires. His view of millionaires is shared by most people who are not wealthy. They think millionaires own expensive clothes, watches, and other status artifacts. We have found this is not the case.

As a matter of fact, our trust officer friend spends significantly more for his suits than the typical American millionaire. He also wears a $5,000 watch. We know from our surveys that the majority of millionaires never spent even one-tenth of $5,000 for a watch. Our friend also drives a current-model imported luxury car. Most millionaires are not driving this year's model. Only a minority drive a foreign motor vehicle. An even smaller minority drive foreign luxury cars. Our trust officer leases, while only a minority of millionaires ever lease their motor vehicles.

But ask the typical American adult this question: Who looks more like a millionaire? Would it be our friend, the trust officer, or one of the people who participated in our interview? We would wager that most people by a wide margin would pick the trust officer. But looks can be deceiving.

This concept is perhaps best expressed by those wise and wealthy Texans who refer to our trust officer's type as

Big Hat No Cattle

We first heard this expression from a thirty-five-year-old Texan. He owned a very successful business that rebuilt large diesel engines. But he drove a ten-year-old car and wore jeans and a buckskin shirt. He lived in a modest house in a lower-middle-class area. His neighbors were postal clerks, firemen, and mechanics.

After he substantiated his financial success with actual numbers, this Texan told us:

[My] business does not look pretty. I don't play the part . . . don't act it.... When my British partners first met me, they thought I was one of our truck drivers.... They looked all over my office, looked at everyone but me. Then the senior guy of the group said, "Oh, we forgot we were in Texas!" I don't own big hats, but I have a lot of cattle.

PORTRAIT Of A MILLIONAIRE

Who is the prototypical American millionaire? What would he tell you about himself?(*)

* I am a fifty-seven-year-old male, married with three children. About 70 percent of us earn 80 percent or more of our household's income.

* About one in five of us is retired. About two-thirds of us who are working are self-employed. Interestingly, self-employed people make up less than 20 percent of the workers in America but account for two-thirds of the millionaires. Also, three out of four of us who are self-employed consider ourselves to be entrepreneurs. Most of the others are self-employed professionals, such as doctors and accountants.

* Many of the types of businesses we are in could be classified as dullnormal. We are welding contractors, auctioneers, rice farmers, owners of mobile-home parks, pest controllers, coin and stamp dealers, and paving contractors.

* About half of our wives do not work outside the home. The number-one occupation for those wives who do work is teacher.

* Our household's total annual realized (taxable) income is $131,000 (median, or 50th percentile), while our average income is $247,000. Note that those of us who have incomes in the $500,000 to $999,999 category (8 percent) and the $1 million or more category (5 percent) skew the average upward.

* We have an average household net worth of $3.7 million. Of course, some of our cohorts have accumulated much more. Nearly 6 percent have a net worth of over $10 million. Again, these people skew our average upward. The typical (median, or 50th percentile) millionaire household has a net worth of $1.6 million.

* On average, our total annual realized income is less than 7 percent of our wealth. In other words, we live on less than 7 percent of our wealth.

* Most of us (97 percent) are homeowners. We live in homes currently valued at an average of $320,000. About half of us have occupied the same home for more than twenty years. Thus, we have enjoyed significant increases in the value of our homes.

* Most of us have never felt at a disadvantage because we did not receive any inheritance. About 80 percent of us are first-generation affluent.

* We live well below our means. We wear inexpensive suits and drive American-made cars. Only a minority of us drive the current-model-year automobile. Only a minority ever lease our motor vehicles.

* Most of our wives are planners and meticulous budgeters. In fact, only 18 percent of us disagreed with the statement "Charity begins at home." Most of us will tell you that our wives are a lot more conservative with money than we are.

* We have a "go-to-hell fund." In other words, we have accumulated enough wealth to live without working for ten or more years. Thus, those of us with a net worth of $1.6 million could live comfortably for more than twelve years. Actually, we could live longer than that, since we save at least 15 percent of our earned income.

* We have more than six and one-half times the level of wealth of our nonmillionaire neighbors, but, in our neighborhood, these nonmillionaires outnumber us better than three to one. Could it be that they have chosen to trade wealth for acquiring high-status material possessions?

* As a group, we are fairly well educated. Only about one in five are not college graduates. Many of us hold advanced degrees. Eighteen percent have master's degrees, 8 percent law degrees, 6 percent medical degrees, and 6 percent Ph.D.s.

* Only 17 percent of us or our spouses ever attended a private elementary or private high school. But 55 percent of our children are currently attending or have attended private schools.

* As a group, we believe that education is extremely important for ourselves, our children, and our grandchildren. We spend heavily for the educations of our offspring.

* About two-thirds of us work between forty-five and fifty-five hours per week.

* We are fastidious investors. On average, we invest nearly 20 percent of our household realized income each year. Most of us invest at least 15 percent. Seventy-nine percent of us have at least one account with a brokerage company. But we make our own investment decisions.

* We hold nearly 20 percent of our household's wealth in transaction securities such as publicly traded stocks and mutual funds. But we rarely sell our equity investments. We hold even more in our pension plans. On average, 21 percent of our household's wealth is in our private businesses.

* As a group, we feel that our daughters are financially handicapped in comparison to our sons. Men seem to make much more money even within the same occupational categories. That is why most of us would not hesitate to share some of our wealth with our daughters. Our sons, and men in general, have the deck of economic cards stacked in their favor. They should not need subsidies from their parents.

* What would be the ideal occupations for our sons and daughters? There are about 3.5 millionaire households like ours. Our numbers are growing much faster than the general population. Our kids should consider providing affluent people with some valuable service. Overall, our most trusted financial advisors are our accountants. Our attorneys are also very important. So we recommend accounting and law to our children. Tax advisors and estate-planning experts will be in big demand over the next fifteen years.

* I am a tightwad. That's one of the main reasons I completed a long questionnaire for a crispy $1 bill. Why else would I spend two or three hours being personally interviewed by these authors? They paid me $100, $200, or $250. Oh, they made me another offer--to donate in my name the money I earned for my interview to my favorite charity. But I told them, "I am my favorite charity."

continued....

Last edited:
1478301241_3-sisters-1-rt.jpg

The 3 largest Cruise ships in the world ( 225,000tn+ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis-class_cruise_ship ) off Miami. :o::o::o: 8-) Plus two more being built right now!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...s-gets-to-work-in-florida-20161112-story.html

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas gets to work in Florida

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas has finished up with the circumstance and pomp and is ready to get to work. The ship which arrived to its new home at Port Everglades last week completed its preview cruises for media and travel agents, and sets sail on its first Caribbean cruise with real passengers today.

The preview cruises were highlighted by the ship's official naming ceremony last Thursday while in port, in which godmother Brittany Affolter, an educator in Miami-Dade, pushed a button that set off a chain of events that culminated with the ceremonial smashing of a giant bottle of champagne to christen the world's largest ship.

Cruise ships often get the largest bottles of champagne for christenings, but the normal, in-stock 15-liter Nebuchadnezzar bottle from Veuve-Clicquot, which is equal to 20 bottles of wine, just wouldn't do, said Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd Chairman and CEO Richard Fain.

$

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas debuted May 17, 2016 becoming the line's 25th ship in the fleet and taking over the title of world's largest cruise ship. After sailing the Mediterranean in the summer, the ship repositioned to its new home Port Everglades to begin year-round Caribbean sailing.

"This is the biggest ship in the world so we asked Veuve-Clicquot if they could make us a bottle even larger that we would call a 'sovereign,'" Fain said. "This bottle is suspended over Central Park...and it will go down the zip line and break on the steel of the ship."

Yes, this is all incredibly inside one ship

Last edited:
These people cannot be millionaires! They don't look like millionaires, they don't dress like millionaires, they don't eat like millionaires, they don't act like millionaires--they don't even have millionaire names. Where are the millionaires who look like millionaires?

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/american...-to-89-1-trillion.463952/page-3#ixzz4SJQ4on4J
I live within dog walking distance of three millionaires in my neighborhood.

From the outside, the only thing you would notice is their nice large houses, but then you could also pass it off as belonging to people who are fastidious about their homes and like room to move around. Only one of them drive a Merc, and the man uses it only when he has to project an image to clients, otherwise, he runs around in a nine yr old Chevy p/u truck. The other two millionaires drive late model Fords and Jeeps. None have servants but they do hire lawn care services. Their children go to public schools and the mothers make the lunches.

People outside the US seems to think that American millionaires must live like how entertainment celebrities lives.

People outside the US seems to think that American millionaires must live like how entertainment celebrities lives.

Even more important is not just how they live, but how they behave.

At lunch today (December 10, 2016) in a local casual diner, to my left was a family of four. To my left was a local billionaire, having a salad with his friend. The family had two well behaved kids and enjoyed their meal. The billionaire had no guards, no VIP treatment, and nobody bothered him. He was served in exactly the same manner as the rest of us. The best part was when he got up, and took his salad bowl and utensils to the same station as everybody else, leaving his table clear after him, for the servers to clean up for the next customers.

That is the real USA.

At lunch today (December 10, 2016) in a local casual diner, to my left was a family of four. To my left was a local billionaire, having a salad with his friend.

My wife went to high school with Daniel A. D'Aniello, one of the founders of the USA hedge fund, The Carlyle Group. D'Aneillo is a billionaire worth ~ $2.5 B. A couple of years ago we were having lunch in a small neighborhood Italian restaurant in Vienna, Va near where we used to live. My wife looked over and a few tables away she saw a man she thought was D'Aniello, who she hadn't seen or spoken to for 40 years. He noticed her as well and came over and asked if she was his high school mate from Butler, Pennsylvania? She was! We had a nice conversation and they shared memories of their high school days. No one else in the restaurant had any idea they were dining with a man worth $2.4 B. This is very typical of millionaire/billionaire Americans who grew up in the middle class and have self-made fortunes. Their children or grandchildren may be another story .....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...f-world-s-most-generous-nations-a6849221.html

America, New Zealand and Canada top list of world’s most generous nations
The UK topped all other European countries studied for charitable donations as a percentage of GDP

America has been named as the world’s most generous nation in the world, where its citizens give the most to charity, according to a new report.

The USA, New Zealand and Canada have the highest rate of charitable donations as a percentage gross domestic product (GDP), the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) found.

The UK had the fourth highest rate of charitable donations in a study of 24 nations and topped all other EU countries that were looked at.

CAF’s report took data from countries accounting for around 75 per cent of global GDP and 53 per cent of the world population.

Charitable giving by individuals as a percentage of GDP in America was recorded at 1.44%, in New Zealand at 0.79%, in Canada at .77% and in the UK – which came fourth globally – at 0.54%.

The report also analysed the impact of taxation and government spending and the amount given to charity and found there was "no significant correlation" except for employer social security charges, highlighting the complexity behind people’s decisions of when to give and how much.

Adam Pickering, international policy manager at CAF, said: "Across the 24 nations we studied, we found no significant link between government spending, income or corporation tax and the proportion of GDP donated by individuals.

"This suggests the relationship between the amount of taxes people pay and the amount they give to charity is not as clear cut as some may have thought.

“The factors which motivate people to give, and influence how much they give, are incredibly complex."

Statistics and facts on Recreational Boating

3193990571_74b5ef9b67_b.jpg

https://www.statista.com/topics/1138/recreational-boating/

Recreational boating is a popular leisure activity in the U.S. More than 87 million U.S. adults participated in recreational boating in 2014, using a boat for (sports) activities such as fishing and water skiing and/or to travel. The U.S. recreational boating market had an estimated retail value of over 35 billion U.S. dollars in 2014. The total value of recreational boats sold reached over 3.7 billion U.S. dollars in 2015. The greatest portion of this value came from sales of boats with a length of 80 feet of more. In total, 11.87 million recreational boating vessels were registered in the U.S. in 2015. These boats are classified into several categories: sailboats, personal watercrafts, sterndrive boats, inboard boats and outboard boats.

The number of boats sold annually by brokers in the United States has remained steady at around 30,000 units between 2012 and 2015. The pre-own recreational boat market was considerably larger with unit sales of around 950 thousand for the five years preceding 2014. Sales of jet boats, sail boats and outboard boats all seen sharp declines in the years 2008 and 2009. Although unit sales for these products are increasing, none of them have reached the numbers seen pre 2008.

Recreational boating was a popular activity among North American campers in 2015. During a survey of campers, 22 percent indicated that canoeing or kayaking was their favorite recreation activity and a further 13 percent selected either motor boating, jet skiing or water sports. It is also a popular hobby of affluent Americans, with 10.3 percent of U.S. household with an income over 200,000 U.S. dollars reported owning a boat in 2015.

Last edited:
1.8%

http://www.shnugi.com/networth-percentile-calculator/?min_age=18&max_age=100&networth=5000000

According to that site almost 10% of households in the US are worth over $1M (9.42%)
http://www.shnugi.com/networth-percentile-calculator/?min_age=18&max_age=100&networth=1000000
Which confirms what I said about having a net worth of $1M is NOT rare.

As per Global Wealth Data book 2016, 5.5 % American adults have net worth of over $1M

and 34.6 % American adults have net assets worth less than $10,000

In 2013, 30.7 % American adults had net assets worth less than $10,000, and 5.5 % American adults had net worth of over $1M

While the number/percentage of millionaires has remained same, there has been a significant increase in the number/percentage of "the poorest" Americans ..

The rich are getting richer, the poor poorer

This growing inequality/parity is not a good sign. As Piketty calls it, 'a drift toward oligarchy'

Last edited:
Your probably are quoting a figure that excludes the value of a person's primary residence. Many people have most of their money tied up in their property.

Net worth is defined as the marketable value of financial assets plus non-financial assets (principally housing and land) less debts. (p.5)

Back
Top Bottom