What's new

Allahabad physicist wins world's biggest academics' prize

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
Allahabad physicist wins world's biggest academics' prize

05ISBS_AshokeSen_G_1167631e.jpg

Theoretical physicist Ashoke Sen, a string theorist at Allahabad's Harish Chandra Research Institute, has become a crorepati overnight. On Tuesday, Prof. Sen became one of the nine winners of the first Yuri Milner Fundamental Physics Prize — at $ 3 million (Rs 16.7 crore) — the most lucrative academic prize in the world.
The prize, which is nearly three times that of the Nobel purse — which is frequently shared by two or three winners — has been instituted by Yuri Milner, a Russian student of physics who dropped out of graduate school in 1989 and later made billions as an investor in companies like Facebook and Group on. It is aimed at recognizing contributions of younger researchers to fundamental physics. The nine winners of 2012 are expected to constitute the committee to decide on the awardees of next year.

Prof. Sen, who has just turned 56, confirmed that his $ 3 million prize had been credited to his account, but said it was still too early for him to decide what to do with it. The physicist whose work is seen by most as revolutionary but questioned by some, said he did not consider the award as an endorsement of his findings.

"I am certainly very happy with this, but an award does not endorse any scientific theory... I see it (the award) more as a sort of entitlement... encouragement to younger people to take interest in fundamental science," the very modest professor told The Indian Express over the phone.

"At the same time, I would like youngsters to take up science not for the glamour of an award, but for the joy and knowledge that it brings," he said.

Prof. Sen is a rare scientist who chose to return to India after post doctoral work at prestigious institutes abroad. He said he did not miss the rarefied peer group that often makes the pursuit of academics abroad enriching.

"When I came back in 1995, I did feel a little isolated initially but that is no longer the case now. The Internet has made all possible information accessible, and in terms of a peer group I have quite a good academic circle among colleagues at the Harish Chandra Research Institute," he said.

"As far as research funding is considered, fortunately theoretical physics hardly requires any, so I never felt any such need. The overall government and institutional support has been good enough for my work."

Prof. Sen is optimistic about research in India.

"While one expects many more scientists and more research work, I must add that there are several small pockets in the country where great research is being done, and which can replicate the success of scientists in other countries. We do, however, need to set up many more institutes in order to attract more students to science and to hone their talent," he said.

Sen studied at Kolkata's Presidency College and did his Master's at IIT Kanpur before proceeding to the State University of New York, Stonybrook. In 1982, he went to do post doctoral work at Fermilab, Batavia, and at SLAC, Stanford. In 1988, he chose to return to India, where he joined Tata Institute of Fundamental Research in Mumbai. He moved to Allahabad in 1995, and has been with Harish Chandra Research Institute ever since.

Prof. Sen received the Padma Shree in 2001 and the S S Bhatnagar Award in 1994. He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of London in 1998, and to the Indian National Science Academy in 1995.

Source:- Allahabad physicist wins academics’ biggest prize - Indian Express

Great Achievement. Indians are now shinning in theoretical physic also and that too from not very famous Institutes Like IUCCA, PRL and TIFR.

great one Mr Sen. India is proud of you.

Excellent! So we can expect great things from you too!
Not sure about that though ... I left physics somewhat 2 years ago .... actually a bit of family pressure and lack of opportunities in physics made me leave it.
And yeah I was not selected in ISRO (IIST-2012) coz of 1 marks i got 89 and cutoff was 91 :( ..
so, i am doing my B.Tech now from an NIT and hopefully do my Master's from Space sciences

great one Mr Sen. India is proud of you.

You know the best thing about theoretical physics is that it doesn't need any infrastructure at all apart from a decent internat connection.Sadly, you can't get a Nobel Prize for physics i mean there have been not more than 2-3 theoretical physicists who won nobel prize for physics.
Eve Einstein never got one for his theory of relativity(which is the best thing to have happened to mankind)

There is a lots of such discussion you may find in "Lila Prakaran" of "Yog Vashisht". Yog vashisht is the knowledge which Lord Ram was taught by his Guru Vashisht after he become King of Ayodhya.

Ofcourse he is a Brahmin. I think it's safe to say that we Brahmins are the greatest contributors to the Indian civilization. We carry the burden of a billion people on our backs.

Actually the reason I wanted to reply to this thread was to talk about
the average height for Indians and Pakistanis, the average height for Pakistanis is 176.9 cm for males and not the 169 cm that the 2011 changes show, here is the link to it,

hi(.)baidu(.)com/fieryhot/item/b5defa5b6e90ba9608be175d

the daily beast even mentioned the day after they caught Bin Laden in Pakistan that how could a person that is 6 ft 4 hide in a crowd of people that are 5 ft 8, here is the link to that

wwwthedailybeastcom/articles/2011/05/02/salman-rushdie-pakistans-deadly-game.html

and the average Jat is actually one of the tallest groups on the planet in third world conditions, with an average height of 170.4 cm from an 1988 scientific study,

wwwncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3190178/

and blacks and whites are naturally short, because the average Nigerian is 5 ft 4 and the average French man during the French Revolution was 5 ft tall, even the Dutch in the 19th century were 5 ft 5, go look it up on the Wikipedia link for average height, and the Vikings were 5 ft 7, which is really tall for third world conditions, the Northern Chinese are 5 ft 6, which is tall too for third world conditions, and the average Dinka tribe member is 5 ft 8, here is proof for that study

wwwncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8674486/

I think naturally, the only tall Europeans are Croatians, and the only tall blacks are Dinka tribe blacks, because the average black in America is 5 ft 9, even the tallest black in the NBA is Shaq, and he is only 7 ft 1, and Manute Bol at 7 ft 7, but Bol belongs to the Dinka tribe, and look at most Sikhs and Punjabi groups, the Khali is 7 ft 1, Sim Bhullar is 7 ft 5, Tanveer Bhullar is 7 ft 3, Satnam Singh is 7 ft 1, Mohammad Irfan is 7 ft 1, Aungrezab Khan is 7 ft 6, and Vikas Uppal is 8 ft 3, but he sadly passed away R.I.P , and it's the same with the Northern Chinese and Croatians, Yao Ming 7 ft 5, Sun MingMing 7 ft 9, Bao Xishun 7 ft 9, and Zhang Juncal 7 ft 10, and the indigenous people of Patagonia are known to be extremely tall and Afridi Pashtuns are tall too, plus the average third generation Indian in the UK(excluding Sikhs) is 5 ft 9 and Sikh children according to a doctor's report in the UK were the tallest and heaviest group of kids compared to any other ethnicity there, they were bigger than white British kids, Gujarati kids, Bangladeshi kids, black kids, and other groups of ethnicities too, go look it up.

Back
Top Bottom