What's new

All infantry units will have UAV squads

Star Wars

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...units-with-uav-squad/articleshow/51387474.cms

NEW DELHI: The defence ministry is set to clear an army proposal to equip all infantry and mechanised battalions with a new squad of mini-unmanned aerial vehicles for deeper insights into the battlefield. While the UAVs will have a limited range of 10 km, they would provide vital intelligence for ground troops.

A proposal to purchase 1,800 mini-UAVs, along with ground systems and support, is likely to get the goahead at a defence ministry meeting this week, followed by approval by the defence acquisition committee, senior officials told ET.

parrikar.jpg

The planned purchase will also boost the private industry as it will be categorised as a 'Make in India' project, with the potential of orders increasing exponentially over the next few years. Officials said the plan is to raise 600 UAV squads - each consisting of three 'birds', a ground control system and a heavy vehicle.

These squads will be attached to all infantry and armoured battalions of the Indian Army, which currently rely on information from other units that operate longerrange UAVs such as the Heron and Searcher of Israeli origin. Infantry battalions posted in conflict zones do occasionally purchase and operate mini UAVs, but they are not yet part of standard equipment.

Following the defence ministry's clearance, the army is set to float tenders for the UAVs. At least a dozen Indian companies are expected to bid for the contract and several of them have tied up with foreign vendors for technology transfer.

The move to have competitive trials for the mini-UAV project has also thrown questions on an Indo-US project that was cleared at the political level. The high-profile Defence Trade and Technology Initiative, which was even discussed between PM Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama, included an understanding that US firm AeroVironment would tie up with Bengaluru-based Dynamatic Technologies to develop a new light UAV for tactical reconnaissance for the army.

The army is looking for UAVs with a range of at least 10 km at a complete system weight of less than 35 kg. The mini-UAV would need to give remote video feed with allweather capability and loiter time of 45 minutes.

Imperial Eagle variant and other micro UAV are active on LOC and in the valley.

Last year Army used Searchers very closely to the LOC to assess the damage made by L 70s in ground attack mode.

Good time to bank in UAV startup in India. Do you realize a DRDO Netra costs more than 20 lakhs?

I thought this news was for Pakistan's Army units. Fuarrrkkk!!

However, I'd rather have armed UCAVs in great numbers throughout Pakistani forces than having mini UAVs with every infantry unit.

But having UAVs with infantry is pretty cool too :D

Its good to see Indian and Pakistani forces going medium-high tech with possessing some extreme firepower for conventional mass wars.

Indian forces are secular-ish I presume (with hindu influence I'm sure) while Pakistani forces are extremely Islamic. Pakistan Army is an Islamic army with extremely well trained soldiers and some of the most destructive weapons of today's age..

Motto for Indian Army: Service before self.

Motto for Pakistan Army: Iman, Taqwa, Jihad fi Sabilillah

It translates to: A follower of none but Allah (the core doctrine of Islam), The fear of Allah, Jihad for Allah.

:cheesy:

I thought this news was for Pakistan's Army units. Fuarrrkkk!!

However, I'd rather have armed UCAVs in great numbers throughout Pakistani forces than having mini UAVs with every infantry unit.

But having UAVs with infantry is pretty cool too :D

Its good to see Indian and Pakistani forces going medium-high tech with possessing some extreme firepower for conventional mass wars.

Indian forces are secular-ish I presume (with hindu influence I'm sure) while Pakistani forces are extremely Islamic. Pakistan Army is an Islamic army with extremely well trained soldiers and some of the most destructive weapons of today's age..

Motto for Indian Army: Service before self.

Motto for Pakistan Army: Iman, Taqwa, Jihad fi Sabilillah

It translates to: A follower of none but Allah (the core doctrine of Islam), The fear of Allah, Jihad for Allah.

:cheesy:
There are few Mujahid companies (all Muslim) in few Regt especially Grenadiers and Rajputana Rifles.

The Mini.UAV will have a Day Night camera and a Infrared Sensor which can be interchanged for a communication relay device or other sensors.

Israel battalions are currently using the skylark drone for it's ground troops.
Easy deployment in the field by few squad members.
Will provide critical intelligence to the troops of what's ahead.

How good are these L 70 when used as an Infantry weapon

How much damage did they cause

In few places like Krishna Ghati sector Loc,We have the advantage of height.

L 70 along ZU-23-2 from enclosed and position for long range suppression fire, Better than any HMG out there ..
VebBgbb.jpg

r1XDCJn.png

p9IdvlF.jpg

JpAyfZR.jpg

Impact of L 70 HE frag round at distance

N9EOXy5.png

Damage Assessment from UAV

P7yQNWx.jpg

NXxCxBm.jpg

really ?

more details please.
Some Muslim Martyrs from Kargil.

(M company, 22nd Grenadiers)

Grenadiers Riasat Ali, Zuber Ahmed, Hussain Ali Khan, Hassan Mohammad,
Mohammad Ishaq Khan
Lance Naiks Ahmad Ali, Zakir Hussain, Abid Khan
CQMH Annuruddin

Begum Shabnam Banu, widow of Kargil martyr Rijvan Tyagi of 22 Grenadier, wipes her tears at the inauguration of the ‘Vijai Veer Aawas Parisar’, a housing complex specially built for the martyrs’ families and handicapped jawans who battled for the country, where she got allotment of a flat, at Dwarika in New Delhi on Friday. — PTI

nat.jpg

Capt. Haneef Uddin

Bpc1RzoCcAE5t3i.jpg-large-e1436716681189.jpg

0300_f1Rzh_16298.jpg

Grenadier Abdul Hamid Grave

DE09-P03_4COL_G_DE_2541732f.jpg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom