What's new

Algeria's first Chinese corvette begins homeward journey

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The first of the three C-28A corvettes that China's Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding Group is building for Algeria arrived in Malaysia on 6 October having completed the first leg of its voyage to North Africa.

p1643478.jpg
The Algerian C-28A corvette Adhafer docks at Boustead Cruise Center at Malaysia's Port Klang. (Dzirhan Mahadzir)

Named Adhafer (920), the vessel docked at the Boustead Cruise Centre in Port Klang for a two-day replenishment stop before it continues to Algiers. The Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) issued a press release saying 20 contractors from Hudong-Zhonghua are accompanying the vessel's 120 crew.

An RMN officer told IHS Jane's that, beyond the normal naval courtesies, RMN officers would not be visiting the vessel to inspect Adhafer as previously planned.

To read the full article, Client Login
(103 of 390 words)

Algeria's first Chinese corvette begins homeward journey - IHS Jane's 360

It's more advance then PN F-22Ps.
The weapon package seems identical to the F22Ps.... the deference is to be found in the radar sensors and some other stuff? so that it would pass Loyd's insurer's requirements.

The weapon package seems identical to the F22Ps.... the deference is to be found in the radar sensors and some other stuff? so that it would pass Loyd's insurer's requirements.
Ok. But still there is a good possibility that they can fight better.

As the 2 vessels share the same weapon capabilities it would be hard to decide which would outperform the other but I suppose if there are improvements that would affect weapon management, maneuverability, RCS...etc then I suppose that possibility exist.

As the 2 vessels share the same weapon capabilities it would be hard to decide which would outperform the other but I suppose if there are improvements that would affect weapon management, maneuverability, RCS...etc then I suppose that possibility exist.
If PN try to sell the F-22P will Algeria be interested in buying it?

If PN try to sell the F-22P will Algeria be interested in buying it?
ha ha ha I have no Idea but I doubt Algeria would need more of these corvettes because 6 of these is sufficient I think.
But if you are still thinking about the difference in specifications I think Navies have different needs and the F-22P was designed with Pakistan's needs in mind and Algeria basically bought corvettes that share a lot of F-22Ps characteristics but with sensors that are compatible with our Newly acquired warships..... I think there is very little that separates the 2 warships

ha ha ha I have no Idea but I doubt Algeria would need more of these corvettes because 6 of these is sufficient I think.
But if you are still thinking about the difference in specifications I think Navies have different needs and the F-22P was designed with Pakistan's needs in mind and Algeria basically bought corvettes that share a lot of F-22Ps characteristics but with sensors that are compatible with our Newly acquired warships..... I think there is very little that separates the 2 warships
How about Tiger corvettes ? i guess Algeria still interested?

Can you do black-hawk a favour and tell your government to buy the F-22Ps? Those F-22Ps are clearly bothering him, buy it and we'll throw in the OHP too.

Though seriously, I also wonder what would happen to the PN's F-22Ps in the next 15-20 years. There's no way those ships could serve as the main frigate fleet, the PN needs a platform with better AAW capabilities (so as to help deter the IN air arm away from PN's submarines).

I think the F-22Ps in PN will take on a role similar to that of Algeria's C28As, i.e. as a corvette. It has good ASW capabilities, a RAM-like PDMS could just be added and it's good to go. Alternatively, the PN could refit the F-22Ps as OPVs, assuming it can get 6-8 heavier mutli-mission frigates.

Back to the Algerian C28A, very interesting purchase overall. I personally expected the Algerian Navy to have picked up Gowind corvettes instead. Do you have any idea of what was said by Algerian officials regarding Chinese shipbuilding? For example, were they particularly impressed?

Last edited:
So, there is possibility of buying PN's F-22Ps? I think the latest Chinese up-gradation of older Destroyers and may be the 2 Type-54 to Type-54Bs standard might enable PN to buy some new/used Frigates-Destroyers from China to defend the seas better.

Can you do black-hawk a favour and tell your government to buy the F-22Ps? Those F-22Ps are clearly bothering him, buy it and we'll throw in the OHP too.

Though seriously, I also wonder what would happen to the PN's F-22Ps in the next 15-20 years. There's no way those ships could serve as the main frigate fleet, the PN needs a platform with better AAW capabilities (so as to help deter the IN air arm away from PN's submarines).

I think the F-22Ps in PN will take on a role similar to that of Algeria's C28As, i.e. as a corvette. It has good ASW capabilities, a RAM-like PDMS could just be added and it's good to go. Alternatively, the PN could refit the F-22Ps as OPVs, assuming it can get 6-8 heavier mutli-mission frigates.

Back to the Algerian C28A, very interesting purchase overall. I personally expected the Algerian Navy to have picked up Gowind corvettes instead. Do you have any idea of what was said by Algerian officials regarding Chinese shipbuilding? For example, were they particularly impressed?
Yes F-22P has a very small role and even no confirmation regarding buying more of these types from China soon. Only we have made deals of 8 S-20P from which 4 will be arriving soon from China and 4 will be constructed @ KS&EWs may be from next year. With a total may reach to 12 S-20P till 2025. We are only producing 2 more FACs and may be 2 more later on which makes a total of 6 FACs that will guard Karachi and Thatta area.

Chinese are bringing in 6 FACs from China directly to guard Makran coast.

SI think the F-22Ps in PN will take on a role similar to that of Algeria's C28As, i.e. as a corvette. It has good ASW capabilities, a RAM-like PDMS could just be added and it's good to go. Alternatively, the PN could refit the F-22Ps as OPVs, assuming it can get 6-8 heavier mutli-mission frigates.

Sorry for the late response .....You are right the of C28a warships will be mainly to paroling Algerian shores (OVP like role) where they'll benefit from additional air defense protection which is now becoming very sophisticated with the latest news from Russia that a contract for Antey 2500 is in the process of being finalised, this is an addition to the s300pmu2's that is already in service and the first sighting of s400 in Algeria together with the purchase of sophisticated airspace management systems.
As for the quality of Chinese equipment I think Algerians are fairly satisfied otherwise they wouldn't have ordered the warships ... Algeria already previously purchased a Chinese Frigate (937) that is now used as a training warship and the navy integrated the C802 missile in a number of corvettes....So think they are satisfied about the performance.
Originally Algeria wanted to buy Russian Tiger corvettes but it became clear that the Russians were having problems delivering on time and this criticism was made by the Algerian head of the Army on his last visit to Russia, so Algeria had to look elsewhere and China was an obvious choice because the Gowind is out of the Question because Algeria has always resisted purchasing French warships, fighters ...etc
Important to remember that before ordering the C28a from China, an Algerian Naval Team visited Pakistan and were impressed with the F22p and I think that was a deciding factor for the purchase.
So I think Pakistan has done well with the F22ps if the role is similar to ours but I also think that adding at least 2+ more powerful warships like the Mekos that Algeria has ordered from the Germans ...that would give the navy more strength and widen the role/missions ...

How about Tiger corvettes ? i guess Algeria still interested?
All the indications is that the Tiger deal is dead.... the c28a corvettes replaced that deal

Back
Top Bottom