What's new

Al-Shabaab men kill US-born militant in Somalia

forcetrip

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Al-Shabaab men kill US-born militant in Somalia

MOGADISHU: A prominent US-born Islamist militant was killed in Somalia on Thursday after he fell out with senior commanders of the Al-Shabaab rebel group, witnesses said.

Residents in Al-Baate village in southern Somalia said Alabama-born Omar Hammami, commonly known as Abu Mansoor Al-Amriki or 'the American', and a British national known as Usama al-Britani, were shot dead in a dawn raid on their hideout.

Hammami's killing exposed widening rifts in Al-Shabaab's top ranks as the group affiliated to Al Qaeda grapples with an African Union-led military offensive that has captured key cities from the militants, depriving them of revenues.

“This morning Al-Amriki and his comrades were attacked by well armed fighters,” said village resident Hussein Nur. “After a brief fight al-Amriki and his two colleagues were killed. Several of their guards escaped.”

A second villager confirmed the gun battle and said he had heard Al-Shabaab fighters confirm the deaths, though he had not seen the bodies.

“No-one is allowed to go near the scene,” said a shopkeeper by telephone from the village that is under militant control.

Hammami is believed to have arrived in Somalia aged 22 in late 2006, shortly before a US-backed Ethiopian military incursion into the war-shattered Horn of Africa country to rout an Islamist administration that had dislodged the government.

Fluent in Somali, Hammami swiftly became an influential leader of Al-Shabaab's foreign militants fighting to topple a government seen as a Western puppet, and impose a strict interpretation of sharia law on Somalia.

Al-Shabaab announced a formal alliance with Al Qaeda in February 2012. Hammami was added to the US Federal Bureau of Investigation's Most Wanted Terror list in November that year and a $5 million bounty was offered for information leading to his capture.

Al-Shabaab men kill US-born militant in Somalia - DAWN.COM

Well, the reason of my posting this particular news is sort of personal. I personally saw this looney in my undergraduate year, he was in my Java class (which he passed and I failed, repeatedly). In the deep deep South there was this one white dude who wore the saudi garb and walked all over the place preaching. When I first went to buy books from the university bookstore and opposite it there was an open air stage where a white baptist used to preach. The white guy came prepared with his own travel size podium and would scream the words of god to attract the one passerby, all I saw was a lot of ignoring done with the busy students, and even with the low turnout that guy would be there daily or was it select days and do what he did all over again. This is before the advent of the camera phones so I am not sure if anyone has videos of this happening, I wish someone did. Anyway, a few years down the road I saw that the white preacher has now got competition from non other than Mr Omar. They were both looking forwards and screaming and shouting over each other, answering each others questions with ludicrous scripture without looking at each other. Long story short there were a lot of occasions where our paths have crossed and Yes I did have a chat with him, but for the life of me I can not remember what we talked about in my drunken stupor days. I wish I could. Anyway, here is another article I read about him a while back, where he was about to be killed by al qaeda and a more rich history about this idiot. Rest in peace crazy white dude. I wish I could remember more about you but you were pretty insignificant then.

'There's No Turning Back': My Interview With a Hunted American Jihadist | Danger Room | Wired.com

is he the same guy who posted a picture of his bleeding neck after getting shot on Instagram ?

First time I have read about his death.

He died on March 2011 while fighting with Somali forces.
He died again on July 2011 in a Predator drone attack.
He was beheaded by Al Shabab on April 4th 2012.
He was shot by Al Shabab again on 9 May 2013
He was interviewed by Voice of America on Spetember 3rd 2013.
And now he is dead again.I expect another video or interview within a couple of months.This man just keeps popping up.

is he the same guy who posted a picture of his bleeding neck after getting shot on Instagram ?

Yeah this is the guy.

He died on March 2011 while fighting with Somali forces.
He died again on July 2011 in a Predator drone attack.
He was beheaded by Al Shabab on April 4th 2012.
He was shot by Al Shabab again on 9 May 2013
He was interviewed by Voice of America on Spetember 3rd 2013.
And now he is dead again.I expect another video or interview within a couple of months.This man just keeps popping up.

Yeah this is the guy.

I just wanted to share how I knew him and how if I kept in touch with him ( he was most definitely in Pakistan somewhere along the line) I could have got a $5m bounty on his head instead of the Alshahab guys who must be rolling in US bounty dough.

There was a documentary about him some time ago.

and not to be racist, somalians are my most disliked race. all of they look like rats

they are sir they are worse humans on earth . a country which is living in stone age and fighting each others like many animals in one cage . i will say drop nuke on this cage .

RIP..A youth wasted..

youth ? this animal was dangerous for humans better he killed by animals or else he bite many humans

and not to be racist, somalians are my most disliked race. all of they look like rats

And not to be obvious, that is definitely racist.

Also was wondering if I could change the thread topic to

"CIA payed Al Shabaab to kill my class fellow"

Back
Top Bottom