What's new

AI checks coronavirus CT in 20 seconds with 96% accuracy in China

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

Is this patient infected with the novel coronavirus? A CT scan can hold the answer. The indicators are pretty clear, but here's the problem: A doctor spends about 15 minutes analyzing one case. Luckily with the help of AI, CT scans can be interpreted in 20 seconds with an accuracy rate of 96 percent. How does it work?

Is this patient infected with the novel coronavirus? A CT scan can hold the answer. The indicators are pretty clear, but here's the problem: A doctor spends about 15 minutes analyzing one case. Luckily with the help of AI, CT scans can be interpreted in 20 seconds with an accuracy rate of 96 percent. How does it work?

It’s called „image processing“.

It compares the images to a certain set of templates. It detects the differences in images.

Not AI magic in reality

face recognition works in similar fashion.

many universities offer majors in image processing.

The challenge for chinese super brains:

this new method can see if a lung is infected by the virus, but how can the system detect if a person is infected if the lung is not infected?

Can it differentiate between Coronavirus infection and common flu?

The way China controlled Crona Virus make me fan of Chinese system of government.
All the western democracies are nothing more than circuses with politicians leading without clue.
Only a strong government without worries of elections and popularity can save people and uplift them

It’s called „image processing“.

It compares the images to a certain set of templates. It detects the differences in images.

Not AI magic in reality

face recognition works in similar fashion.

many universities offer majors in image processing.

The challenge for chinese super brains:

this new method can see if a lung is infected by the virus, but how can the system detect if a person is infected if the lung is not infected?
Image processing using AI genius, I did my thesis on this. My time the algorithms were still relatively primitive, what China has now is beyond advanced.

Image processing using AI genius, I did my thesis on this. My time the algorithms were still relatively primitive, what China has now is beyond advanced.

Can AI differentiate between Coronavirus infection and common flu of the CT scan images?

I have my doubts

Can AI differentiate between Coronavirus infection and common flu of the CT scan images?

I have my doubts
I don’t know. I guess It may can.

Flu like H1N1 or influenza a and b are welknown viruses that come and go. The flu virus mostly attack the lower respiratory system while the coronavirus attack the upper part.

What you need is making enough images of the infections and put them into templates.

Some think flu and corona are the same family but they are not.

Corona is a new virus.

we don’t know much about it.

This targeted CT diagnostic process is now clearly more beneficial and efficient than the PCR method. It is potentially less specific for covid though so still needs human involvement to ensure the changes seen are due to covid and not something else.

I have my doubts
There are a number of conditions which will produce a similar appearance on CT scan, hence human input is needed still

I have my doubts
I think "96% accuracy" already answered your question.

This targeted CT diagnostic process is now clearly more beneficial and efficient than the PCR method. It is potentially less specific for covid though so still needs human involvement to ensure the changes seen are due to covid and not something else.

There are a number of conditions which will produce a similar appearance on CT scan, hence human input is needed still

:tup: That’s my take on this too

You sure you are not suffering from Coronavirus?

Can that AI differentiate between Coronavirus infection and flu infection? It might be 96% efficient in highlighting infected lung and not necessarily identify Coronavirus infection

You did a thesis? Can you share it?

Using AI?
ok that means China is 100 times more advanced than Germany.
Congrats.
I will recommend my relatives to study in China.

It sounds good certainly and I am a huge advocate of the CHinese mass CT diagnostic protocol. However I wonder if this word "accuracy" actually means overall "specificity" in the statistical sense or is it something different. I'll believe pure AI analysis gives 96% specificity when a formal case controlled study concludes this. Until then, AI simply cannot reliably replace the human eye and brain. A radiologist will still need to review the AI's conclusion and decide if the clinical history/exposure history matches up for covid. This will anyway still speed things up as the AI will effectively "triage" cases for senior human review.

Using AI?
Congrats.
http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F1a205ff2-1c43-11ea-81f0-0c253907d3e0

How not to win the technology race with China
https://www.ft.com/content/66b6f066-1c29-11ea-9186-7348c2f183af

Using AI?
Congrats.
Yes my friend, 10 years back, we were already using simple AI algorithms, it could recognized only 40 pictures max. I used it on a small rover to detect objects and avoid collision. Nowadays the Chinese can detect a person in a million pics in seconds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm

My thesis? I graduated in 2007, it was published by my lecturer, due to confidentiality issues, I cannot disclose my paper.

Back
Top Bottom