What's new

After NYT, Rupert Murdoch’s newspaper takes a dig at incredible India.

Umair Nawaz

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
An obtuse attempt at depicting the poverty in India in lieu of the recent climate talks has left veteran artist Bill Leak of The Australian red-faced, as a cartoon drawn by him has garnered a lot of criticism.

The cartoon, which was termed as ”unequivocally racist”, shows skinny Indian men clad in turbans and dhotis huddled around UN-issued solar panels, breaking them apart and throwing them away as ”they are no good” because ”they can’t be eaten”.

The cartoon, by Bill Leak, that featured in The Australian recently. (Source)

The cartoon incredibly goes further on to show an elderly man applying mango-chutney to the panels in order to make them edible.

The cartoon attracted widespread anger and disdain from within Australia and the rest of the world alike.

This is not the first time a major news publication came under the radar for their depiction of the climate change negotiations. A cartoon published by the New York Times last week that portrayed India as an elephant stalling a train depicting climate change talks, also received a lot of criticism.

A cartoon that featured in the New York Times last week.

India took a tough stand in the recently concluded climate talks in Paris and Prime Minister Narendra Modi had publically stated that it would be ”morally wrong” to not put the lion’s share of the financial burden on the developed nations based on their historic emissions.

The cartoons, alongside other such articles in reputed media houses in developed nations seem to be backlash against India’s stand at the climate talks.

Here’s how Twitterati reacted to this:

Last year, NYT invited widespread criticism for publishing a cartoon on India’s cheap space program.

After NYT, Rupert Murdoch’s newspaper takes an ‘incredibly racist’ dig at Indians - TOI Blogs

:rofl:

Murdoch is a major supporter of the "Asianisation" of Australia.

India was absolutely right with it's stance @ Paris Summit. Do you even know what was their stance? Trust you me, they didn't go there with extended family to eat biryani like some other heads of state. Furthermore, rest of the cartoons are racist as well. Specially the Mars mission one. Make fun of India when, we Pakistanis can send a stone to orbit, actually send one stone, not hot air.

apparently any reality check for them is racist.:lol:

Err.....what exactly is the reality check here?

I have no particular issues with the cartoons, even though two of them are in poor taste (the first more so). The one of the elephant on the track was NYT's commentary on the Paris talks & no one can really take issue with that even if the idea of blaming India for its stance there is disingenuous.

Well apparently looking for your country's interest is considered a shameful act to others.

These two are awesome papers...
They are inexpensive and they wipe really nicely after I take a dump..

Come on Paris Summit ... It was all good for India ... Cartoon just show how hard the Indian view point hurts the so called developed Nations .

We got support from all around the world .

Rest about the smiley first bring your country to such a position in international politics and then u can laugh .

Well apparently looking for your country's interest is considered a shameful act to others.
some of the morons have no idea that India fights for the rights of developing countries in multinational fora. right from trade,climate,finance,agriculture forums are bastions of western bloc. India along with china as been forefront in thwarting malicious designs of the western bloc. These morons are so drowned in hatred & jealousy that they cannot make out which is right or wrong and anything remotely associated with india is prone to disparaging remarks.

reality check pakistan is a developed country and india is a developing one.

Make fun of India when, we Pakistanis can send a stone to orbit, actually send one stone, not hot air.
forget about satellites,your country men dont even seem to realize that india was fighting for entire developing countries not for itself alone.

Mr. Modi is taking stand against developed on the behalf of developing nations including Pakistan on climate change. You can laugh and make fun of him as I seeing you are from very rich and developed nation. Today Pakistan is a mess just because people like you are existing in huge numbers in Pakistan. Shame.

India was absolutely right with it's stance @ Paris Summit. Do you even know what was their stance? Trust you me, they didn't go there with extended family to eat biryani like some other heads of state. Furthermore, rest of the cartoons are racist as well. Specially the Mars mission one. Make fun of India when, we Pakistanis can send a stone to orbit, actually send one stone, not hot air.

Pakistan will benefit immensely with more people thinking like you. You give me hope for our two countries.

Pakistan will benefit immensely with more people thinking like you. You give me hope for our two countries.
Those are rare breeds and most of them are expats with no plans to go back to their country. Don't count on it.

Do you know why I like Pakistanis?

Its because you and your country contribute absolutely nothing, to the global high table where rules are formulated. Your country is just told what to do and say at these places and you obediently follow without asking why.

It is India and China making sure that interests of developing countries(like yours) are protected. Passing of COP21 the way developed countries wanted to would have been a defacto statement like 'West has the right to develop, you do not'.

That is why such things are racist, the rules they try to impose on us and make sure we continue to be poor.

Sadly, Pakistani's are never the educated lot. Even the common man in India knows of these negotiations and what needed to be done, but Pakistanis will never - too stuck in dreams of caliphate and ISIS and Islam to know these things.

I read your post after I posted.
However, I am sorry to say this, but I find Indians on average far more aware of facts than Pakistanis who I find happy in their world of conspiracy theories and rarely bother finding facts out for themselves, preferring mud slinging on others. For example while most Indians would be able to answer on point about the climate change conference, most Pakistanis would be able to answer which country has what intelligence agency against Muslims.

It is disingenuous that a Pakistani is commenting on India which is fighting with the developed world not just on climate change but also in WTO. In both the situations, if we capitulate, the entire developing world - very much including Pakistan - gets f#cked.

Mr. Modi is taking stand against developed on the behalf of developing nations including Pakistan on climate change. You can laugh and make fun of him as I seeing you are from very rich and developed nation. Today Pakistan is a mess just because people like you are existing in huge numbers in Pakistan. Shame.
:rofl: yeah sure

Back
Top Bottom