What's new

After BlackBerry, govt to snoop on WWW

rajgoynar

Reaction score
After BlackBerry, govt to snoop on WWW

NEW DELHI: After BlackBerry, the government is now targeting internet traffic in the country, to enable it to monitor completely all international and domestic data.

The trigger is the rapidly escalating threat posed by terrorist and criminal elements using data communication, which has brought into sharp focus BlackBerry services, Skype and Googlemail over the last few weeks.

According to department of telecom (DoT) sources, an inter-ministerial group meeting has been called on August 20 and will be attended by senior officials from DRDO, the Cabinet secretariat, security agencies, National Technical Research Organization (NTRO), Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) and DoT, to review the internet monitoring systems deployed nationwide by C-DOT.

It seems there are new requests from the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) and National Investigation Agency (NIA) for internet monitoring systems.

Internet traffic in India is monitored at international internet gateways using C-DOT systems. Unlike mobile voice and data traffic, the government does not issue specific warrants for intercepting and monitoring messages on specific targets in case of internet services. The government has access to these through C-DOT-deployed systems and can use them to access messages based on the needs of security agencies.
Internet traffic monitoring also raises some serious issues of consumer privacy, because unlike mobile telephones, the operator has no role in carrying out specific interceptions.

The government will need to get a clear policy mandate both with respect to increasing its surveillance and monitoring of internet traffic on one hand and responding to privacy questions on another.

After BlackBerry, govt to snoop on WWW - India - The Times of India

:sniper:

Only ordinary Joe will be affected. Bad guys always have all the luck . Government with mediocre graduates can never match the anarchist geeks. The geeks are light years ahead of any government employee in term of technical knowledge.

Good move...but keep specific,explicit guidelines on the invasion of privacy part.

Monitoring is okay..:tup: regulating it is a strict no-no..:tdown:

GOI is doing a fine job. Channels of communication need to be monitored. Security first always & every time.

Given the Indian market, suppliers have to conform or leave.

Good move...but keep specific,explicit guidelines on the invasion of privacy part.

Privacy has to take a backseat when it comes to national security.

How can security agencies not invade privacy when they read information meant only for you? On the other hand, how can they scan information if they don't read your data in the first place?

And btw, strategic interceptions happens whenever required. NTRO does not require civilian permission for all it's interception activities.

Possibly your data is being read without you even knowing it and this is all normal and required.

Privacy has to take a backseat when it comes to national security.

How can security agencies not invade privacy when they read information meant only for you? On the other hand, how can they scan information if they don't read your data in the first place?

And btw, strategic interceptions happens whenever required. NTRO does not require civilian permission for all it's interception activities.

Possibly your data is being read without you even knowing it and this is all normal and required.

Agree....:agree: Security is paramount to our interests.

But I dont like officers "doing" it on the photos my GF sends to me...:D

Agree....:agree: Security is paramount to our interests.

But I dont like officers "doing" it on the photos my GF sends to me...:D

Either you allow the officers "to do" it on ur GF's photos or you allow the terrorists "to do" it to ur country.

Your choice - you can select only one.

Either you allow the officers "to do" it on ur GF's photos or you allow the terrorists "to do" it to ur country.

Your choice - you can select only one.

Difficult choice....ok I ll ask her not to mail the pics any more.:cheers:

lol..i was just playing with u mate...picasa - only with invites...my favourite

so mate - u feel that the security agencies cannot see ur photos if you do not invite them to view ur picasa albums lol

Very good step for security but it will be tokenism as all of govt. initiatives till anything big happens.

Back
Top Bottom