What's new

Afghanistan's Elite Air Force Can Barely Fly Its Own Planes

Areesh

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Training Afghanistan's soldiers and cops has been tough. But outfitting an Afghan air force special operations unit is proving damn near impossible. The latest evidence: The Pentagon is spending $770 million on Afghan military aircraft that the Afghans have little hope of being able to operate and maintain, according to the U.S. government's Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction.

The U.S. is hustling to help the Afghan military stand up a special, highly-trained air wing to transport its special operations forces before NATO leaves the country. The only problem is there aren't enough qualified recruits to staff the Afghan Special Mission Wing, which, as of late January, has only 180 personnel. That's less than a quarter of the 806 people it needs to be effective.

These troops need to be literate, English-speaking and able to pass an 18-20 month vetting process aimed at weeding out "candidates that have associations with criminal or insurgent activity," according to the report. Finding people who meet these criteria can be a serious challenge in Afghanistan.

Right now, the U.S. military staff and its contractors perform 50 percent of all maintenance done on the Afghan Special Mission Wing's 30 old Mi-17 helicopters. They perform an even higher share - 70 percent -- of really important maintenance work and ordering of spare parts, according to the IG.

Meanwhile, U.S. pilots have to take the lead on many of the SMW's missions since only seven out of the wing's 47 Afghan pilots are qualified to use night vision goggles. "A necessary skill for executing most counterterrorism operations," the report dryly notes. On the eve of NATO pulling its combat troops from Afghanistan, let's hope the SMW's ability, er inability, to fight is not an indication of the broader Afghan military's competency.

Making matters worse is the fact that many of the SMW's pilots belong to the Afghan interior ministry. This means that their life insurance won't kick in if they die while flying counterterrorism missions. Only pilots from the defense ministry get that kind of premium. The problem is, the interior ministry owns the wing. This is expected to change when the two ministries sign an agreement transferring control of the SMW to the defense ministry, but progress on that has been slow, according to the report.

Keep in mind that the year-old SMW is supposed to be totally ready for combat by July 2015, just a year and a half from now. That's despite the fact that U.S. military personnel and defense contractors "acknowledge that the Afghan government will not be able to independently perform maintenance and logistics support functions for at least 10 years," reads the report.

Nevertheless, the Pentagon last October paid Sierra Nevada Corp. $218 million for 18 PC-12 turboprop planes (shown above) -- similar to the ones used by U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command to discreetly move commandos around the world -- and then on June 16 gave $553.8 million to Russian arms exporter Rosonboronexport for 30 Mi-17 choppers.

All of this for a wing that can barely fly its missions or maintain its aircraft.

The IG is recommending that the U.S. suspend the contracts for the new aircraft until the wing is firmly in the hands of the Afghan MOD. It's also recommending that the U.S. work with the Afghans to develop a solid plan to ensure they know how to operate and maintain their aircraft.

It's a good thing the U.S. is going to keep military advisors at certain Afghan bases long after the last official combat troops go home. Otherwise, these aircraft might end up like the hundreds of Soviet made planes and choppers that sat rusting on the outskirts of Afghan air bases throughout the 1990s and much of the last decade.

Afghanistan's Elite Air Force Can Barely Fly Its Own Planes or Use Night Vision Gear | Killer Apps

I'd just like to point out that the Taliban did maintain an air force quite well during their tenure, although the lack of training of pilots is what hindered them. The current ANAF can't even do that much and that's really pathetic to think about. They need to get their shizz straight if they want to effectively counter any Taliban offensive post-withdrawal. Without a proper air force, or pilots flying SpecOps missions they have no real advantage over the Taliban, except maybe training.

I'd just like to point out that the Taliban did maintain an air force quite well during their tenure, although the lack of training of pilots is what hindered them. The current ANAF can't even do that much and that's really pathetic to think about. They need to get their shizz straight if they want to effectively counter any Taliban offensive post-withdrawal. Without a proper air force, or pilots flying SpecOps missions they have no real advantage over the Taliban, except maybe training.

Buy those pilots some afghan brown, they will fly high as a kite. No training, no muss, no fuss.

Hello Folks,

Hope everyone is having a great evening :)

I read the report and although it sounds pretty much gloomy but if we are objective for a while we do know that it takes relatively more time, resources and investment to have a functioning airforce than any other branch of the armed forces. Lets not forget that Afghanistan in the 80s had a well functioning airforce flying more sophisticated aircrafts. Now it may take a few years more but I believe given time and resources Afghan airforce should be able to stand on its feet and defend its airspace.

I also urge my Pakistani friends as not to ridicule a nacent security force which is actively engaged in fighting the Taliban while being trained at the same time, the Afghan people, the government and the International community is behind sustained efforts in creating a strong and sustainable ANSF. Pakistan will profit more by having a strong and prosperous Afghanistan than an Afghanistan rocked by civil war.

/Peace

At 13:00 minutes is a report on how Afghan trainers are replacing Americans in Shindand airbase to train new Afghan pilots, sorry its in Dari :)

---youtube.com/watch?v=iKAPwvKIgC4

Hello Folks,

Hope everyone is having a great evening :)

I read the report and although it sounds pretty much gloomy but if we are objective for a while we do know that it takes relatively more time, resources and investment to have a functioning airforce than any other branch of the armed forces. Lets not forget that Afghanistan in the 80s had a well functioning airforce flying more sophisticated aircrafts. Now it may take a few years more but I believe given time and resources Afghan airforce should be able to stand on its feet and defend its airspace.

I also urge my Pakistani friends as not to ridicule a nacent security force which is actively engaged in fighting the Taliban while being trained at the same time, the Afghan people, the government and the International community is behind sustained efforts in creating a strong and sustainable ANSF. Pakistan will profit more by having a strong and prosperous Afghanistan than an Afghanistan rocked by civil war.

/Peace

Apologies... the behaviour you see is because of ur govt accusations and the behaviour of Afghan members here (banned)....

Am not undermining anyone here but even their Ground Special forces have yet to prove themselves of worthy. They have been training side by side with US Ranger reg and US SF. Even after years of night raids and countless efforts americans are still not sure if ANA commandos can lead a mission on their own with no US spec op operators on ground with them.....AF is on a whole different level.

On the side note the focus is on attack and transport helis for spec ops than why are they bring AF into this why not Army aviation wing?

Not surprising.

It is very difficult and very expensive to form an organised and disciplined military from scratch. Especially given Afghanistan's current and future security challenges.

Air force is an expensive matter and takes to mature. And currently not the most important. Just train and operate what are needed most to get the job done.

On the side note the focus is on attack and transport helis for spec ops than why are they bring AF into this why not Army aviation wing?

Money issues perhaps?

Though the Americans have committed themselves toward rather idiotic things.

Example: Forcing ANA to have the M-16 as standard issue.

Don't be surprised if they are forced to buy Blackhawks instead of Mi-17's:omghaha:

/Peace

True. All the best to you Afghans, a stable Afghanistan is within our interests.

But the current Afghan government facilitates anti-Pakistan elements and is always spewing anti-Pakistan rhetoric.

We can help by sending some PAF pilots on deputation and training mission. Afghanistan security is necessary for Pakistani stability.

Back
Top Bottom