Afghan president Hamid Karzai hands India weapons 'wish list'

RoYaL~GuJJaR

Reaction score
Country
India
Afghan president Hamid Karzai hands India weapons 'wish list'

ANDREW BUNCOMBE WEDNESDAY 22 MAY 2013

Karzai-AFP.jpg

Afghanistan's president, Hamid Karzai, today said he had handed a “wish list” to India seeking greater military and civilian support to fill the vacuum created by the withdrawal of Western next year – an undertaking that is likely to spark anxiety in neighbouring Pakistan.

On a two-day visit to India during which he has sought to build on an agreement signed in 2011, the Afghan leader claimed he was not permitted to go into specific details of the military hardware what he had asked for.

“We have a wish list that we have put before the government of India and it’s up to the government of India [to decide],” he added.

India already has an extensive, $2bn cooperation programme with Afghanistan and has supported road-building and the establishment of hospitals. It also trains Afghan police and army officers at military colleges in India. Mr Karzai said he wanted to “broaden” India’s support to fill the vacuum when up to 100,000 Western combat troops leave next year.

Mr Karzai is aware that India’s involvement in Afghanistan is of intense concern to Pakistan, a country that has always had a tense relationship with Kabul but whose role in liaising with the Taliban will be crucial to a peaceful transition – something he again acknowledged.

Afghanistan’s relationship with Islamabad has faced particular challenges in recent weeks, following border skirmishers between Afghan and Pakistani troops along the disputed Durand Line.

Speaking today to a group of Indian and international journalists, he again sought to reassure Pakistan that Afghanistan’s relationship with India should not be of undue concern.

“Afghanistan is a sovereign country and like all sovereign countries has the right to choose its own friends,” he said. “Pakistan is a neighbour, it is a close neighbour and the people of Pakistan have given us refuge for thirty years. India is a traditional friend and ally, particularly so over the last ten years.”

He added: “As we expand this relationship with India...our relationship with India will not be to the [detriment] of Pakistan or a cause of anxiety for Pakistan.”

Asked if the issue of deploying Indian troops in Afghanistan has been discussed during his two-day visit, he said it had not. But he said he had discussed maintaining India’s training of Afghan security forces and the sales of equipment. He said that once the establishment of a “Sandhurst-style” officers training college in Kabul is completed, Indian officers would be welcome to join US and British troops.

Mr Karzai repeated his claim that the situation in Afghanistan would improve once Western forces left. He said those forces attacking Afghanistan would find it more difficult to do so sand that the Afghan people would unite more effectively against them.

Asked about repeated allegations of corruption within his administration, he said he would take the claims seriously if they were made by Denmark or Norway. “But if it is the US, then I simply laugh about it,” he said, saying contracts involving the Western military were responsible for spreading corruption.

According to reports in the Indian media Mr Karzai held a meeting with Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday evening when he formally outlined his desire to expand defence ties that were initially signed in 2011. He also briefed his counterpart on the ongoing efforts to train Afghan security forces.

Mr Karzai also insisted he will not run for office again, saying he was “really, totally exhausted” and that it be damaging for both him and his country if he were to have another term. He said any attempt to seek a third term would harm his country’s democratic institutions and his legacy.

Under Afghanistan’s constitution the president is limited to two terms but there has been repeated speculation – always denied by him – that he might seek to amend the rules ahead of elections due to be held next year.

“No circumstances should allow me to stay as president,” he said. “And I will not allow it to happen.”

Afghan president Hamid Karzai hands India weapons 'wish list' - Asia - World - The Independent

Karzai meets Indian leaders in push for military aid

552400-pranabmukherjeehamidkarzaiindiaafghanistanphotoafp-1369151331-218-640x480.jpg

This handout photograph received from the Presidential Palace on May 21, 2013, India President, Pranab Mukherjee (L) shakes hands with Afghan President, Hamid Karzai during a meeting at the Presidential Palace in New Delhi. PHOTO: AFP

NEW DELHI: Afghan President Hamid Karzai held talks with Indian leaders Tuesday, hoping to secure more military aid as he looks to beef up his security forces after international troops pull out next year.

An Indian foreign ministry source confirmed that Karzai had held talks late Tuesday with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh after a separate meeting earlier in the evening with his Indian counterpart Pranab Mukherjee.

But there were no immediate details about the discussions and officials said there would be no official statement as is customary after such meetings nor any plans for a press conference.

Officials had said before the meeting that Karazai would use his trip to India to drum up support from a long-time ally.

Karzai’s spokesperson, Aimal Faizi, said last week that Karzai would ask for “all kinds of assistance from India in order to strengthen our military and security institutions” during his talks in the capital New Delhi.

An Indian foreign ministry official, speaking on condition of anonymity, also said at the weekend that the discussions would cover a potential arms deal between the two countries.

“India is ready to meet any request that would strengthen Afghan security institutions,” said the official.

India has been training a limited number of Afghan military officers for years at its military institutions, but has provided little weapons assistance except for some vehicles.

Speaking on Monday night as he accepted an honorary degree from a university in the northern state of Punjab, Karzai thanked India for its support since he came to power in 2001 after the fall of the Taliban.

“India, as a friend of Afghanistan, has made an immense contribution in uplifting its youths,” he said.

“India has contributed $2 billion from the hard-earned money of its taxpayers for the betterment of Afghanistan.”

India’s support for Karzai is a reflection of its desire to ensure that the departure of the United States and other foreign forces in 2014 does not lead to the return of the radical Islamist Taliban to power in Kabul.

The two countries are attempting to step up their already solid relationship before international troops leave Afghanistan in 2014, foreign policy expert Brahma Chellaney told AFP.

But any extra aid from India will be in the form of “indirect security assistance” such as more training of security officers and transfer of technology, said Chellaney, strategic studies professor at New Delhi’s Centre for Policy Research, a think-tank.

“This (Karzai’s visit) is part of a more intense interaction between the two countries before 2014,” he said. “(But) there is no intention for India to have boots on the ground there.”

In 2011, India and Afghanistan began a “strategic partnership” to deepen security and economic links. But Indian activity in Afghanistan has triggered unease in neighbouring rival Pakistan, which fears losing influence in Afghanistan.

India has been notably cool about US-backed attempts to negotiate a peace settlement with Taliban elements.

Speaking on a visit to Washington in February, Indian Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai said New Delhi saw little “dividing line” between al Qaeda and other militants.

Karzai is a regular visitor to India and spent time as a student in the northern resort city of Shimla. He was last in New Delhi in November when he told Indian business leaders that Afghanistan was ripe for investment and promised them a “red carpet welcome”.

The Express Tribune :::

Under Afghanistan’s constitution the president is limited to two terms
Afghanistan’s constitution written in Washington by Americans :omghaha:

Karzai also insisted he will not run for office again

Mr Karzai I will count till 2014 and give you head start (Head start:butcher:) Run ****** Run :sniper:

Afghanistan's president, Hamid Karzai, today said he had handed a “wish list” to India

I will take chicken :omghaha:and Coca cola to go please

Afghanistan’s constitution written in Washington by Americans :omghaha:

Mr Karzai I will count till 2014 and give you head start (Head start:butcher:) Run ****** Run :sniper:

I will take chicken :omghaha:and Coca cola to go please

Your frustration is pretty much evident by the use of too many smiles and *** !!

But anyway, leaving that aside, why are you guys even bothered about what he do, where he go and what he asks for ?

After-all, He is the president of a sovereign nation !!

Your frustration is pretty much evident by the use of too many smiles and *** !!

But anyway, leaving that aside, why are you guys even bothered about what he do, where he go and what he asks for ?

After-all, He is the president of sovereign nation !!

Sovereign nations constitution arent written in Washington by american diplomats :omghaha:.sovereign nations president arent installed and protected by Americans from their own people :toast_sign:. sovereign nations can't stay a nation when majority of its population is excluded from forming a government.

Plus i love these smilies :nana::victory::omghaha:

Sovereign nations constitution arent written in Washington by american diplomats :omghaha:.sovereign nations president arent installed and protected by Americans from their own people :toast_sign:. sovereign nations can't stay a nation when majority of its population is excluded from forming a government.

Tumhe mirchi lagi toh hum kya karein :chilli:

I am hopeful the wish list includes at least 100,000 Indian troops in Afghanistan. Anything less than that is a waste of time and money as India has already spent billions in the past 12 years in Afghanistan.

Indians!! Don't let your Afghan brothers down at this critical juncture otherwise Taliban will eat both the Afghan-Indian brothers alive for breakfast post-2014.
:pop:

I am hopeful the wish list includes at least 100,000 Indian troops in Afghanistan. Anything less than that is a waste of time and money as India has already spent billions in the past 12 years in Afghanistan.

Indians!! Don't let your Afghan brothers down at this critical juncture otherwise Taliban will eat both brothers alive for breakfast post-2014.

And Paksitan- the source for all this violence, will get of scot-free??

Indians!! Don't let your Afghan brothers down at this critical juncture otherwise Taliban will eat both brothers alive for breakfast post-2014.

Yes brother I have already forwarded your wishlist to officials in South Block :coffee:. Rest assured, we will do what you wish us to do.

Even parts of Indian Constitution are inspired by the constitutions of US, UK France and many other countries. so does that mean India is also not a sovereign nation ? :what:

And regarding rest of your post, Afghanistan is a sovereign country and a member state of United Nation as much as your pakistan and my India.

=RoYaL~GuJJaR;4318624]Even parts of Indian Constitution are inspired by the constitutions of US, UK France and many other countries. so does that mean India is also not a sovereign nation ? :what:

Inspired by and written by are Two different things.

And regarding rest of your post, Afghanistan is a sovereign country and a member state of United Nation as much as your pakistan and my India.

Why are you trying to convince me It can remain a sovereign nation if indians put their money where their mouth is and protect Karzai after the withdrawal of western troops.otherwise i am just using smiles give him what he wants or dont why should i care other then indians and few NA afghans rest of the world knows whats coming for Karzai Dead man :sniper:walking.

Now back to my smiles :sniper::butcher: Karzai to India :help::help: Pashtunes are coming

What are your views/guess about the "weapons" in the list handed over to GOI by Mr Karzai ?

Most likely small scale stuff like BPJs, rifles, pistols, ammo, mortars, shells, light arty prices and maybe a few "headline grabbers" like ex-IA T-55s and MPVs and maybe even a few helos (Cheetahs or ALH) as has been speculated.

Back
Top Bottom