What's new

Aeroelasticity

surya kiran

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Was reading about something and then came across a Boeing test plane, which was being used for aeroelasticity. The Americans are testing it on an X-plane, X-53. Is this the next stage of wing evolution? And can somebody simplify this for understanding?
EC03-0039-1.jpg

@Oscar @MilSpec

Was reading about something and then came across a Boeing test plane, which was being used for aeroelasticity. The Americans are testing it on an X-plane, X-53. Is this the next stage of wing evolution? And can somebody simplify this for understanding?
EC03-0039-1.jpg

@Oscar @MilSpec

In your engineered surface your stiffness/flexural rigidity needs to be a known parameter for your flight control software to trim changes to your control law.
Elasticity induced changes which leads for change in the control surfaces will lead to loss of control (not complete but instantaneous). My understanding is the X-53 was used to write a new FCS using fast response actuators to provide active correction the Aeroelasticity of the paniform, and leverage the findings for a better Flight control algorithm.

In your engineered surface your stiffness/flexural rigidity needs to be a known parameter for your flight control software to trim changes to your control law.
Elasticity induced changes which leads for change in the control surfaces will lead to loss of control (not complete but instantaneous). My understanding is the X-53 was used to write a new FCS using fast response actuators to provide active correction the Aeroelasticity of the paniform, and leverage the findings for a better Flight control algorithm.

Ok. I was under the impression, it involves designing a new kind of wing. Thanks.

I don't know why but I have a strange notion reading somewhere that the ALH rotor blades are infinitely aero-elastic. I read it somewhere years ago and was not drunk....

@MilSpec
I remember I watched a program on discovery on the future use of Nano Technology in the solid structures of the future building in which each molecules are bound together in a pattern and when there is some stress on a point, the molecules changes its structure so that the shearing load is distributed among the other molecules and the structure don't collapse. I think its the same principle of the use of the nano technology to build the air frames, wings, parts that changes its shape temporarily to take more stress, and load.

Hope You can explain it better, I never like the Mechanical Engineering, I am from Electrical stream.

@surya kiran

@MilSpec
I remember I watched a program on discovery on the future use of Nano Technology in the solid structures of the future building in which each molecules are bound together in a pattern and when there is some stress on a point, the molecules changes its structure so that the shearing load is distributed among the other molecules and the structure don't collapse. I think its the same principle of the use of the nano technology to build the air frames, wings, parts that changes its shape temporarily to take more stress, and load.

Hope You can explain it better, I never like the Mechanical Engineering, I am from Electrical stream.

@surya kiran
Sounds quite futuristic.

I don't know why but I have a strange notion reading somewhere that the ALH rotor blades are infinitely aero-elastic. I read it somewhere years ago and was not drunk....
I have had very little interest in rotary wing and don't know much about it. I am not even sure how it refers to rotary dynamics, will have to do a bit of reading.

Last edited:
Ok. I was under the impression, it involves designing a new kind of wing. Thanks.
It was.

All wings in flight today have distinct control surfaces, such as flaps for take-off/landing mode, aileron for attitude changes, flaperons for combining the two, or for the exotic like split tips on the B-2.

NASA Armstrong Fact Sheets - Active Aeroelastic Wing | NASA

The X-53 was an exploratory program on how to use the entire wing structure itself to execute maneuvers. Of course, this will necessitate the companion development of an entire new class of flight control laws to fully command the wing's capabilities.

The idea is actually not that new. In fact, the Wright Flyer is arguably the first aircraft to be this way.

Parker Variable Wing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Parker design was for a biplane, but the illustration for the difference is apt.

The bottom wing would be the traditional design with the trailing edge sectioned out to flip up/down.

The top wing would be what the X-53 program explored. Note the entire wing literally changed: it curved.

My opinion is that more likely our children, not us, will see this idea in widespread production. It will require new materials that are strong yet flexible because of the many mechanical actuators needed to curve the wing. Pushing the sci-fi of it and we are looking at new materials that can be actuated at the molecular level, like the human muscle tissue.

Back
Top Bottom