What's new

Abu Dhabi plans revolutionary new jail with no guards

Indus Falcon

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Abu Dhabi plans revolutionary new jail with no guards
by Shireena Al Nowais June 21, 2014

ABU DHABI // Prison authorities in Abu Dhabi are planning a revolutionary new jail in which inmates could serve their whole sentences without ever seeing a prison guard.

Officials say the purpose of prison should be rehabilitation rather than punishment, that they believe in a restorative and humane correctional system in which inmates are not simply prisoners, and that the new jail will revolutionize the relationship between inmates and guards.

Col Mohammed Al Zaabi, manager of Abu Dhabi’s punishment and corrections department, said the new jail would be a progressive, secure correctional facility in which prisoners would not encounter armed guards, but would deal primarily with social workers.

“We have found that prisoners see guards as rivals. Even when they are released and we try to contact them for follow-up or offer our services, they are immediately on guard,” he said.

“They don’t want the police contacting them and so we will eliminate any contact between the guards and prisoners,” Col Al Zaabi said.

Inmates will instead communicate and be seen by social workers, trainers, psychologists, counsellors and medical staff.

“They will be in the forefront and be dealing with the inmates on a daily basis, from the moment they enter prison until they leave. A prisoner might come in and leave the facility without ever seeing a prison guard,” he said.

A highly trained staff of more than 600 will be available around the clock, and will conduct daily sessions with prisoners.

“Social workers can absorb a prisoner’s anger or frustrations and are the most qualified people in our mission to rehabilitate,” Col Al Zaabi said. “Along with psychologists they are the most suited to pinpoint underlying problems and help resolve them.

“Prisoners are human beings and what people do not realise is the fear and anxiety they feel when they first enter a correctional facility. Seeing all the police and prison guards only increases this fear and anxiety.

“This makes it more difficult for us to reach out to them and include them in our rehabilitative programmes. Social workers will understand all these frustrations and work with them. ”

Security guards will be available “behind the scenes” and asked to intervene only when necessary.

“The social workers have been trained on how to spot and deal with aggressive behaviour,” Col Al Zaabi said. “Even though you can’t see them, police guards are very close and will immediately intervene if they sense danger.”

The new prison will be the largest in the emirate, with a capacity of 5,500 inmates.

“We wanted to have one central prison for the emirate of Abu Dhabi rather than several correctional facilities,” he said.

There are five correctional and rehabilitation facilities in the emirate: Al Ain, Al Wathba, Al Mafraq Juvenile facility, Al Razeen and a new one for temporary confinement.

“Having all the inmates and services under one roof is cost effective and gives us the opportunity to offer better services to inmates. All our resources will be in one building for everyone to benefit. The project is now in its final stages and we can only hope that it will be fully functional in the near future.”

Abu Dhabi plans revolutionary new jail with no guards | The National

‘Does this feel to you like a prison? If so, we have failed’
Shireena Al Nowais June 22, 2014
EP-140629726.jpg&MaxW=460&imageVersion=default

&MaxW=460&imageVersion=default&AR-140629726.jpg

Around the living accommodation there is a football field, a clinic, a mosque and a school. It could easily be mistaken for a housing complex.

In fact, it is the Juvenile Welfare Centre in Mafraq, about 30 kilometres from Abu Dhabi, where police aim to make nearly 60 young people in their custody feel as comfortable as possible. Officers wear kanduras rather than uniforms, and the young people are never described as inmates

“They are called sons and daughters – our children,” said Lt Col Abdullah Al Hosani, manager of the centre’s correction and rehabilitation division.

Their living quarters are not called cells or wards, but houses. Each of the four houses carries an inspirational name, such as House of Success or House of Achievements.

“Look around you,” says Col Al Hosani. “Does this feel like a prison? If it does in any way, then we have failed and are not doing our job properly.

“Our aim is to rehabilitate. These children are not criminals. They just have a few behavioural problems and need guidance. We see ourselves as doctors and our job is to help cure them.”

Most young people spend between three and 12 months at the centre. “It is very rare that they are here for more than a year,” said Col Dr Abdullah bu Hindi, director of the Juvenile Welfare Centre. “The majority have a court order to be placed in our custody for four months.”

The facilities may seem plush, but the results are undeniable. The facility has a recidivism rate of only 3 per cent.

About 600-700 young people of various nationalities come through the centre every year. “Some are even detained here from a day to two weeks. On average we have 35 juveniles in our facility. Currently there are 56 in our custody, which we see as quite high,” he said.

Exercise and education are regarded as the cornerstones of rehabilitation.

“We have a daily morning and evening programme for juveniles,” he said. “We are completely convinced that this plays a vital role in rehabilitation.

“We don’t forget that these juveniles are serving a sentence ordered by a judge but what we want to do is turn this sentence into one where the juvenile is rehabilitated. After receiving his sentence and a juvenile comes to us, this is our goal … to integrate them back into society as a productive individual. They are the future generation.”

H M, a 16-year-old Moroccan, is in the centre for stealing a car.

“I was kicked out of school and every school in the country because I fought with the principal and got into a lot of fights. I was arrested many times but I can’t do this any more.

“My mother needs me and all my siblings have gotten married and left the house. She has no one but me now.”

“I’m studying here and the centre has managed to convince a school to accept me.”

Z K, a 17-year-old Egyptian, was convicted of sodomy.

“They tell me I will be deported back to Egypt because this is my second arrest. I can’t go back there,” he said in Emirati-accented Arabic. “I was born and raised in Umm Al Quwain.”

He hopes to appeal to the judge and ask to remain in the UAE.

“I am finishing my studies and am now in Grade 11 and doing well. I’m hoping that will convince the judge. I have attended religious lectures here and have learnt from my mistakes. I’d like to grow up and work for the Abu Dhabi Police.

“I can’t go back to Egypt. My dad is there and married another woman. He has never raised me and knows nothing about me. I want to remain here with my mum. Maybe a good behaviour report will convince the judge?”

Brig Gen Ahmed bin Nukhairah, director of the human rights department at the Ministry of Interior, is proud of the progress the juvenile justice system has made.

“I’m not trying to proclaim anything,” he said, “but the largest ratio of juveniles to social workers is in the UAE. Internationally, an average of every 10 to 20 juveniles have a social worker. At our centre, every three to four juveniles has a dedicated social worker.

“I have been to most countries such as the US, Switzerland and Sweden. I have also never seen a rehabilitation centre with a fully accredited school within the facility. Our services are of the highest calibre. What we seek now is professionalism.”

Gen bin Nukhairah, who is also head of the special committee for the functioning of the Juvenile Welfare Centre, said the centre’s low rate of recidivism was also remarkable.

“I was shocked to find that it stands at around 40 per cent in the US,” he said.

“But the crimes of our children are different. The majority are in for petty crimes, traffic offences and because of neglect from the family. They are not hard-core criminals.

“We are not the best in the world. Our staff might not be the best. We have our faults and mistakes, but we are trying our best and working hard continuously to get better, develop and fix our mistakes.”

‘Does this feel to you like a prison? If so, we have failed’ | The National

Conjugal visits for married prisoners at Abu Dhabi’s biggest jail
Shireena Al Nowais June 22, 2014

ABU DHABI // Five private rooms are being built in Abu Dhabi’s biggest jail for husbands and wives to spend time alone together.

Some inmates will also be allowed out temporarily to visit their families at home. Authorities believe the scheme will strengthen family bonds and values, and therefore benefit society as a whole.

“This is a project we are all very excited about and working on around the clock,” said Col Mohammed Al Zaabi, head of Abu Dhabi’s punishment and corrections department.

The large private rooms are already being built at Al Wathba prison for conjugal visits that will be offered to all married prisoners.

“We are introducing it because it is important for us in our culture to preserve family bonds and values. When an inmate is allowed home to spend a few hours privately with his wife and children – imagine how that will help strengthen his ties with his family,” Col Al Zaabi said.

Col Al Zaabi said there was a draft law authorising the visits, but the legislation had not yet been passed.

“We hope these visits will be legalised within the coming year, but a project like this needs to be carefully studied as several problems can arise if not properly implemented,” he said.

“We don’t want a wife to complain that her husband raped her and that they had previous problems. Also regular medical tests will have to be conducted. There will also be a need for paternity tests in case the woman gets pregnant during a visit.”

Col Al Zaabi said some inmates would be allowed to make a home visit. “Many husbands, Emiratis in particular, find it unacceptable that their wives mingle with other men.

“So when we studied this project of permitting conjugal visits we recommended that instead of asking these women to come to the facility, we would allow inmates to temporarily leave the facility and visit their wives at home.”

Inmates who would be eligible for such a programme are those serving sentences for petty crimes and not deemed a flight risk.

“You might have a prisoner who is in for a misdemeanour or a bounced cheque but has shown aggressive behaviour in the facility and has attempted to harm other inmates,” Col Al Zaaabi said. “It would be dangerous to allow such an inmate outside the facility.”

Conjugal visits in other parts of the world, particularly the United States, have been on the decline because of high costs and children born from the visits.

In 1993, 17 US states had conjugal programmes. Now, only six do.

Conjugal visits for married prisoners at Abu Dhabi’s biggest jail | The National

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom