What's new

About martial Arts

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
martial arts

There are a large number of distinct styles and schools of martial arts. Sometimes, schools or styles are introduced by individual teachers or masters, or as a brand name by a specific gym. Martial arts can be grouped by type or focus, or alternatively by regional origin. This article focuses on the latter grouping.

For hybrid martial arts, as they originated from the late 19th century and especially after 1950, it may be impossible to identify unique or predominant regional origins. It is not trivial to distinguish "traditional" from "modern" martial arts. Chronology isn't the decisive criterion, as, for example, "traditional taekwondo" was developed in the 1950s, while the "modern" hybrid martial art of Bartitsu was developed in ca. 1900.

A large portion of traditional martial arts can be categorized as folk wrestling (see the separate article), although in some cases a folk wrestling style and a modern combat sport may overlap or become indistinguishable from each other once the sport has been regulated.

List of martial arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Styles of Chinese martial arts

The concept of Martial arts styles only appear around the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). Before the Ming period, martial skills were differentiated only by their lineage. [1] There are now hundreds of different styles of Chinese martial arts, many distinctive styles with their own sets of techniques and ideas. There are themes common which allows them to be group according to generalized "families" (家, jiā), "sects" (派, pai), "class" (門, men), or "schools" (教, jiao) of martial art styles. There are styles that mimic movements from animals and others that gather inspiration from various Chinese philosophies or mythologies. Some styles put most of their focus into the belief of the harnessing of qi energy, while others concentrate solely on competition or exhibition. This rich variety of styles has led to the creation of numerous classification schemes.[2][3]

Geographical location such as regional affiliation is one well known example. A particular Chinese martial arts style can be referred to as either a northern fist (北拳) or a southern fist (南拳) depending on its point of origin. Additional details such as province or city can further identify the particular style. Other classification schemes include the concept of external (外家拳) and internal (内家拳). This criterion concerns the training focus of a particular style. Religious affiliation of the group that found the style can also be used as a classification. The three great religions of Taoism, Buddhism and Islam have associated martial arts styles. There are also many other criteria used to group Chinese martial arts; for example, imitative-styles (像形拳) and legendary styles; historical styles and family styles. Another more recent approach is to describe a style according to their combat focus.

Styles of Chinese martial arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top 10 Martial Arts for Self Defense, not by order, but by far the best.

Jiu-jitsu

Jeet Kune Do

Wing Chun

Aikido

Karate

Tae kwon do

Ninjutsu (Taijitsu)

Kung Fu

Muay Thai

Shorinji Kempo

Top 10 Martial Arts for Self Defense

Actually there was hardly any difference for self defense and military martial arts in ancient times. Hard to differentiate.

Kung fu is the grandfather!!!!!!! :lol:

Kung Fu's father is Bodhidharma

These sources vary on their account of Bodhidharma being either "from Persia" (547 CE), "a Brahman monk from South India" (645 CE), "the third son of a Brahman king of South India" (ca. 715 CE).[1] Some traditions specifically describe Bodhidharma to be the third son of a Tamil Pallava king from Kanchipuram.[3][4]

Boddhidarma is an tamil pallava prince who spreaded buddhism in china....
And there are many Monks like him, who had travelled to china to spread religion and martial arts...
The true form of martial arts, still exists in kerala...

I hear very strange horror stories about Krav Maga. Its considered very deadly. We even have Israeli instructors flown in to teach our army and regional police special forces krav maga.

I have practiced a bit of muay thai & jiu jitsu and my personal experience was muay thai isn't as suited for me or people with tall & broad physical stature for self defence. For offense yes, it is a bit but it has nothing on jiu jitsu. But this is just personal experience, and Im hardly an expert.

I hear very strange horror stories about Krav Maga. Its considered very deadly. We even have Israeli instructors flown in to teach our army and regional police special forces krav maga.

Ya its really good for knife and gun disarmament..i know a few moves. ;)

V. true, I have a friend trained in krav maga & parkour, and that mofo can give my trainer of jiujitsu a run for his life!

You hear correctly bro. Being a practitioner myself , I can vouch that Krav Maga is no sport. It emphasizes neutralizing the opponent by targeting his weakest areas and bringing him down in one or two strikes .

Karate or any other "traditional" martial art which i ve also practiced doesnt stand a ghost of a chance against a true - scientific hand to hand combat system .

Eg. Krav Maga -Israeli , Systema -Russian , The U.S hand-to hand or the Indian Bison system .

Back
Top Bottom