What's new

Aamir Khan’s Dangal becomes second most viewed film in China

To be honest, before, we were only interested in American movies (or French movies). But now we find that India movies are good too.
Mainland Chinese have very bad taste when it comes to movies. Seriously Fast n Furious was a big hit over there?

I love Aamir Khan. Saw 3 idiots and PK. Please cut out the dancing please, it screws up the film. Don't get me wrong, I watch alot of movies, be it Korean, Jap, US, French, etc. As long as it's good film, I watch it. Be open minded. You should start watching some Stephen Chow movies too.

And I have watched Kungfu Hustle. It is a great fun movie.

I have watched it twice in the last 4 years.

To be honest, before, we were only interested in American movies (or French movies). But now we find that India movies are good too.

Yes some are.

The thing is that India has a very old tradition of film making. Very very old.

This is one thing where we are internationally competitive in. Our movie market is open to everyone, yet Hollywood is not able to take much revenues. This is due to appropriate content for Indian movie audiences coming from Bollywood and Tollywood.

Mainland Chinese have very bad taste when it comes to movies. Seriously Fast n Furious was a big hit over there?
It's more hype than quality, even the rest of Asia and Americans watch it because of the title rather than the story. PK can beat it anytime.

Can you suggest few good Chinese movie ......
You can try Stephen Chow movies and watch this movie called 'The Eye', Infernal Affairs (remake by Leornado Dicaprio sucks).

Sure buddy , we should appreciate good art irrespective of its origins

It's more hype than quality, even the rest of Asia and Americans watch it because of the title rather than the story. PK can beat it anytime.

You can try Stephen Chow movies and watch this movie called 'The Eye', Infernal Affairs (remake by Leornado Dicaprio sucks).

then I think Bahubali will make even more in China

Regardless what it is, like HK people mainland Chinese, and Taiwanese have bad taste in movies. Its like their best movies are the ones with little or no storyline, over the top stunt scenes, biggest explosion....
Most Hollywood movies suck shit also.

The best indian movies were made in the 60s but you have to know hindi to appreciate them. Especially the songs.
Also amithab was a phenomenon in the 70s.
lot of fans of hindi movies in south america and germany for some reason.
Agreed. I like the Bollywood dancing. Its just so happy overall with boys teasing girls in the fields. Very wholesome family entertainment

Agreed. I like the Bollywood dancing. Its just so happy overall with boys teasing girls in the fields. Very wholesome family entertainment
LOL, different taste. I only like the hot gurls, other than that, I think dancing and singing spoils it.

Oh no.. Please Don't like them, Don't watch them. Follow some badly hurt Pakistani's advice.. Its all Indian propaganda coming your way to destroy your culture!! :rofl:
This thread is full of sissies complaining about bollywood movies in general or about netflix hosting them! These losers need to explain is Bollywood or Netflix forcing u to watch Indian movies? Either don't watch or dont cry, as if the movies success is dependent on them watching it. Go keep watching your Pakistani Punjabi movies where Muslim heroes openly abuses Pakistani Hindus. The ones Full of hate for anyone non muslim. Sure, those are the movies to watch, to prevent their hate filled culture..

Because there is no dancing or rape scene. Indians don't like movies without the two elements.

It was a sarcastic remark, i hope given that you are one of the rarest sane Chinese poster here? Assuming that you have not watched any Indian film other than those made in Bollywood, you can try the regional ones especially Malayalam, Marathi, Tamil and Bengalis. When lots of talented film makers have created so many masterpieces (Most of the times they reproduce the real Indian society most accurately than Bollywood) over the last fifty/sixty years, that kind of remark is really disappointing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39958041

_93135822_e3a0f6a3-c1a6-4f73-b3bf-86e85badc9f0.jpg

The true story of two female wrestlers overturning gender stereotypes has become the highest-grossing Indian film ever in China. It's got people asking when China will make a film like this?

It is a story of female empowerment
Dangal is not your typical song-and-dance heavy Bollywood romance.

Starring hugely popular Aamir Khan, it tells the story of Indian wrestler and coach Mahavir Singh Phogat who trained his daughters to become wrestlers - defying social norms.

The real-life family is from conservative Haryana state, known for the high prevalence of social issues such as gender inequality and child marriage. And the family faced great adversity to realise his wrestling dreams.

One of his daughters Geeta Phogat went on to win India's first ever gold medal in wrestling at the Commonwealth Games in 2010 and became the first Indian female wrestler to qualify for the Olympic Games.

_93325738_dangal.jpg

Dangal is the word for a wrestling competition
"I think the father really cared about his daughters' future. He would have raised independent daughters no matter what," said one social media user on Chinese micro-blogging site Weibo.

"Just left the cinema. All I want to say is, after the movie's finished, the whole room applauded. Quite an experience," said another user.

Although some took away an anti-feminist message from the film.

"I think this is a rather male chauvinistic film. Basically, the dad forced his dream on his two daughters. He didn't teach them to wrestle so that they could avoid being child brides. He taught them to wrestle so he could realise his dream. The girls never had a chance to choose," said one Weibo user.

China loves Aamir Khan
Since its release on 5 May in China, the film has already made more than 487m yuan ($70.7m; £54.5m) at the box office, according to state news agency Xinhua and continues to do strong business.

It now looks poised to unseat Japan's Your Name as the highest grossing non-Hollywood film ever in China, which commentators say points to China's growing fascination with Bollywood.

In China, the film was released as Shuai Jiao Baba, which translates as Let's Wrestle, Dad. Since then the hashtag #LetsWrestleDad has been trending on Weibo.

_96098624_e80adb53-1d0b-40f0-b73d-c8fc688c0940.jpg

Aamir Khan gained weight, learned wrestling and was made to look older and younger in the film
Aamir Khan's previous films have also been hugely popular in China. His 2009 release, 3 Idiots, was a hit in the country and industry watchers called it the film that broke "China's Great Bollywood Wall".

Khan is sometimes credited with reviving China's love for Bollywood, which began with Raj Kapoor's films in the 1950s.

"It made me cry and laugh. I'm a big fan of Aamir Khan. He never lets me down," said one netizen on Weibo.

It's just so good, you won't go to the toilet
Chinese critics say Dangal has helped break China's "prejudice" against Bollywood films, including their excessive length and elaborate but "puzzling" dance scenes.

Prominent Chinese director Feng Xiaogang who watched the movie described his experience watching it with friends.

"I went to the movies along with some 20 friends last night. When the movie finished and they started showing the credits, seven to eight of them rushed to the toilet - turned out they had been holding off going to the bathroom. We went for tea afterwards and all of us said: good movie!"

Finally, a decent sports movie
And many social media users and critics are inevitably comparing Dangal to Chinese films, saying it was better than a lot of domestic cinema.

_96098627_5c055ae1-ac5f-486a-abad-a23f3ec00bee.jpg
Image copyrightDANGAL
Yin Hong, a professor from the Tsinghua University and a film critic, told the Beijing Evening News that Dangal puts Chinese movies "to shame".

"Dangal was based on a true story, but its artistic level - from the script-writing to the actors' and actresses' performance, and from the pace to the musical score - is amazing."

He said it had "taught Chinese cinema a lesson".

"We have so many champions in China but we have failed to make a decent sports movie. This is a case worthy of reflection," he said.

"It could totally have been a Chinese story. but how come we don't have a movie like this?" asked one Weibo user.

Film critic Nan Jiang told the BBC she thinks it's because the Chinese film market is dominated by commercial interests.

"Some film makers are only concerned with money. They barely care about feminism or female empowerment," she said.

So what does India make of all this success for Dangal in China?

Lots of pride, a little disbelief and several cries of "madness".

Reporting by BBC Monitoring and Beijing Bureau

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39958041

_93135822_e3a0f6a3-c1a6-4f73-b3bf-86e85badc9f0.jpg

The true story of two female wrestlers overturning gender stereotypes has become the highest-grossing Indian film ever in China. It's got people asking when China will make a film like this?

Reporting by BBC Monitoring and Beijing Bureau
There are also some good movies in China

View attachment 397979
28811733.06.jpg

OK. actually, I don't watch movies very much. I'm more fascinated by China's unrestricted fighting and entertainment programs.
timg.jpg

181104_播求1.jpg

Love Buakaw! ;)

Bollywood should be banned everywhere, it's just indian propaganda tool spreading degenerate values.

Back
Top Bottom