What's new

Aamer says 'brother' Butt lured him into fixing

Amir revelations a lie, says Butt’s father

LAHORE: The father of Pakistan’s jailed former cricket captain Salman Butt on Tuesday accused disgraced bowler Mohammed Amir of falsely pinning all the blame on his son in order to revive his career.

Amir, in his first interview since being released from a British prison, this week accused Butt of trapping him into the spot-fixing scandal at the Lord’s Test against England in August 2010.

Butt and fellow team mate Mohammad Asif are serving sentences of 30 and 12 months respectively, after a British court in November found the trio guilty of corruption and receiving illegal money.

The charges were related to deliberate no-balls bowled by Asif and Amir, but allegedly contrived by Butt in association with agent Mazhar Majeed, also sentenced for 32 months.

The three players were also banned by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for a minimum of five years each.

In an interview with former England captain Mike Atherton broadcast on Sky Sports on Monday and translated by Sky into English from Urdu, Amir said: “I’m so angry with Salman.

“He should have helped me instead of involving me in all this,” he added.

However Zulfiqar, Butt’s father, responded by accusing Amir of lying.

“Amir on record said before the ICC tribunal that Butt did not ask him to bowl no-balls and then before the UK court last year he said the same, so was he lying then or now? I definitely think he is lying now,” Zulfiqar told AFP.

The Pakistan Cricket Board said last month it would rehabilitate Amir and would consider him for selection once his ban expires.

Zulfiqar said Amir is lying to revive his career.

“Amir’s latest interview suggests that he wants to revive his career and that’s why he is accusing my son. We have gone through hell and Amir is trying to put more trouble on us,” said Zulfiqar.

The family say Butt’s youngest son — born minutes after he was sentenced on November 3 — has been refused a British visa needed to visit his father.

“We hope our bad days are over sooner than later,” said Zulfiqar.

Amir revelations a lie, says Butt’s father

LAHORE: The father of Pakistan’s jailed former cricket captain Salman Butt on Tuesday accused disgraced bowler Mohammed Amir of falsely pinning all the blame on his son in order to revive his career.

Amir, in his first interview since being released from a British prison, this week accused Butt of trapping him into the spot-fixing scandal at the Lord’s Test against England in August 2010.

Butt and fellow team mate Mohammad Asif are serving sentences of 30 and 12 months respectively, after a British court in November found the trio guilty of corruption and receiving illegal money.

The charges were related to deliberate no-balls bowled by Asif and Amir, but allegedly contrived by Butt in association with agent Mazhar Majeed, also sentenced for 32 months.

The three players were also banned by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for a minimum of five years each.

In an interview with former England captain Mike Atherton broadcast on Sky Sports on Monday and translated by Sky into English from Urdu, Amir said: “I’m so angry with Salman.

“He should have helped me instead of involving me in all this,” he added.

However Zulfiqar, Butt’s father, responded by accusing Amir of lying.

“Amir on record said before the ICC tribunal that Butt did not ask him to bowl no-balls and then before the UK court last year he said the same, so was he lying then or now? I definitely think he is lying now,” Zulfiqar told AFP.

The Pakistan Cricket Board said last month it would rehabilitate Amir and would consider him for selection once his ban expires.

Zulfiqar said Amir is lying to revive his career.

“Amir’s latest interview suggests that he wants to revive his career and that’s why he is accusing my son. We have gone through hell and Amir is trying to put more trouble on us,” said Zulfiqar.

The family say Butt’s youngest son — born minutes after he was sentenced on November 3 — has been refused a British visa needed to visit his father.

“We hope our bad days are over sooner than later,” said Zulfiqar.

How would he know? That is unless if he too was involved...
Mohammed Aamer is only 18 or 19. I am not saying what he did was good, but looking at the fact that he spent in jail for 6 months without seeing his parents just shows his situation is worse...

It's the same father who says his son didn't do anything so he has no credibility.
But really, either Amir is a complete idiot with no brains or he's really smart by making himself look innocent.
Sorry, I don't buy anyone could just
a) give their bank details
b) bowl a no-ball when told the ICC is already investigating him

But if this is true and we get some sort of proof, then his ban and jail is a grave miscarriage of justice.

Court already made decisions who is evil and who is good. i.e Butt and Asif goes to 32 months and Aamir goes to less time due to age factor.

It is clearly these three players are in the same page involving corruptions and money deals. Aamir is working hard to make good himself in the open public now after jail times. In this video, he spoke urdu too much via Micheal Atherton interview translation, at least he need education properly and require to learn some English.

A Pakistani’s second letter to Mohammad Amir

by Mehmudah Rehman on March 21st, 2012

So Mohammad Amir, it’s been a bizarre one and a half years since those fateful no-balls. You finally pleaded guilty, and were proven guilty and were handcuffed and locked in prison. And when you were released, you spoke on TV like a balanced, reflective individual in an interview with Michael Atherton, and if I didn’t know better I’d say your words touched me.
We, Amir, the people of your country are a jaded, cynical lot. We’ve seen pain and terrorism up close, we’ve seen empty promises from politicians and we go through a day-to-day struggle to live a decent life. We are a tired lot, and most of us don’t believe in giving people second chances.
But as I heard you talking to Atherton about your dreams and aspirations, and how they were realised and then how suddenly they came crashing down – somehow I could relate. We’ve all been there, Amir. We’ve all done the silliest, maddest things to lose what appears to be everything, and in those times, it seems as though the world cannot go on. But it does and your trial (pun intended) went on in front of millions of people, who observed your every grimace and gesture. It must’ve been hard.
Amir, you spoke of being immature, you spoke of being framed and spoke of wanting no money whatsoever. As much as I want to believe you I can’t help wondering why a 17-year-old cricketer would give his bank account number to someone as soon as they ask for it and after giving those details, ask why the person wanted it. I’m really no one to judge you but the innocence of your intentions seems too good to be true.
When I wrote to you a year earlier Amir, I requested an apology, and you finally gave one. And it takes strength doesn’t it, to say you made a mistake? However can you please explain all those trials when you said the no-balls were an accident? I distinctly remember an interview you gave on phone in a TV show when you were on a ‘tableeghi dora’.
Apparently, you were in a mosque and couldn’t stay on the phone for long. At the end of the show the anchor asked the audience whether someone as religious as you could possibly spot-fix. I feel hurt and cheated, especially because of the mosque (and our faith) being brought in to vouch for your ‘complete innocence’. How can I be sure you’re not lying this time?
You know Amir, a few months back I was playing cricket with a group of women at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium nets. Someone asked me where I was from. “Pakistan,” I replied.
“Oh. Wasn’t it Pakistanis who were caught bowling no-balls for a load of cash?” someone asked. I nodded quietly and for the rest of the morning, I felt pretty low. I’m sure you know how bad I felt. The entire nation did, in fact, and now that you have apologised, your story, though touching, artfully clears you of any avaricious motives, and makes you appear like the poor guy who was framed into saving his skin, and thus delivered a couple of no-balls.
Despite the loopholes, I can’t help being softened by your candid admissions. I don’t know why, but somehow my dwindling trust in the world strengthens as I wonder if you’ve finally spoken the truth. Maybe it’s time for us to give you a second chance. And Amir, I, like millions of people want to see you make a come-back.
Sincerely,
Mehmudah Rehman

The author is a Dubai-based freelance writer who’s obsessed with cricket and enjoys bowling leg-spin. She blogs at Ummanaal’s Musings.
The views expressed by this blogger and in the following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

Wait a minute - this means Aamer was threatened to make the no ball? That's a far cry from taking money to do the no balls.

Is ICC full of retards that it couldn't make the distinction?

Hi,

He was set up right from the gitgo---they planned it and a young innocnet kid was caught in the trap.

And why do I say that---I know a person very close and dear to me who was caught in a web of black mail at the age of 15. What a web the criminals wove around a scenario---it was simple stupid and a masterpiece in the way it was set up.

They played a one two punch with Amer----one guy snared him in and the second guy took him to the cleaner---.

Thirdly--I also partially blame Waqar for that as well---when he was questioning Amer---he should have taken him aside and done a one on one---heart to heart---.

Pcb and ICC s equally criminally negligent in not taking charge of young players. If I have resource I would file a lawsuit against ICC and pcb on behalf of Amer's mother and father---they gave these organizations their under age minor child and by the time he turned 18---there was no one to take charge of him and guide him except for the betters.

For you who ctiticize---this was a minor crime if it did happen----like an infraction or a misdemeanor---it was not a felony opffence---the british court set this guy free who actually did match fixation.

Pakistanis need to learn to fight harder for their own and just don't simply condemn them for yourself to look righteous.

This clown should be banned for life - What a disgrace.

Disgrace for what----next time you make a minor mistake at work---what needs to happen---does your employer need to cut off a limb---.

Since, Pakistan had won the match and Amer was man of the match...probably Waqar was also not expecting intelligence agencies being involved!

Mistakes do happen!

What i don't like is that PCB do not make any advice to young players coming from smaller villages!

This Amer is still not matured and shall forget about interviews!

In his next life, he shall play honestly & quietly......

these guys should be perma banned, why?

1) they insulted pakistan for their egos, they didnt care about pakistan when they were blatantly lying, but when it came the jail time, in order to save his skin, he admitted

these guys including kamran akmal, wahab riaz, zulqarnain haider, are shame to pakistan, they just play for the money and fame, dont care about pakistan

how we are blessed with victories after remaving scums like them

there should be atleast education level of intermediate before including any of them in squads, even domestics, because these are our future embassadors, if they fail their image pakistan fails its image

^^You have shared your views many times, no point in saying same thing over and again!!

Pakistan shall take back all players to the team.

i can repeat thousand times, you put a lid on your eyes,if you dont like it

Back
Top Bottom