What's new

A state adrift…and at war with itself

Well at least you're honest that this is your opinion. I completely disagree, but I can respect that much at least.

Going back to the main point, I honestly think that these talks must occur, if only to show you cannot negotiate with those that don't want to.

I feel the only point the talks will make is that ' look we tried' - by both sides.

Talks must happen but only after the ground work has been done compelling the TTP to talk as their last resort to stay alive. Not as a Gup- Shup photo shoot.

I feel the only point the talks will make is that ' look we tried' - by both sides.

Talks must happen but only after the ground work has been done compelling the TTP to talk as their last resort to stay alive. Not as a Gup- Shup photo shoot.
The problem is that the Nawaz shot himself in the foot by making it a major election promise, and a lot of people voted for him thinking he'd be capable of doing such a thing.

I agree that this was a mistake to do so this early. A military offensive should have been carried out, if we're talking strategically, but considering that the PA currently doesn't have enough public backing to do so, I think these talks are going to be used as an excuse to show the TTP cannot be trusted.

It happened before in Swat.

The problem is that the Nawaz shot himself in the foot by making it a major election promise, and a lot of people voted for him thinking he'd be capable of doing such a thing.

I agree that this was a mistake to do so this early. A military offensive should have been carried out, if we're talking strategically, but considering that the PA currently doesn't have enough public backing to do so, I think these talks are going to be used as an excuse to show the TTP cannot be trusted.

It happened before in Swat.

My comments relate to the parts in bold above.

1. Election promises must be kept but he'd look stupider still if the TTP cooks a snook at him / his team in these talks. A good pounding helps marinate the opponent before talks.

2. Whats this requirement of public backing I keep reading ? The PA has in the past done so much without ' backing". In this case all thats needed is a nod from the Govt.

Why has PA become so public conscious ?

My comments relate to the parts in bold above.

1. Election promises must be kept but he'd look stupider still if the TTP cooks a snook at him / his team in these talks. A good pounding helps marinate the opponent before talks.

That's why both sides chose third party representatives.

2. Whats this requirement of public backing I keep reading ? The PA has in the past done so much without ' backing". In this case all thats needed is a nod from the Govt.

Why has PA become so public conscious ?
Because it's taken a massive PR pounding for the last 3 years. Whether it's the soldiers that were killed in a US airstrike, or the OBL raid, Pakistanis don't trust the military as much as they used too. The PA would rather have the gov take the fall, which is why they're waiting for the go ahead from the gov, who in turn are trying to gather up public support and get all the main political parties on their side.

Back
Top Bottom