What's new

A special Delhi court on Friday awarded death sentence to all four convicts

Reaction score
A special Delhi court on Friday awarded death sentence to all four convicts in the December 16 gang-rape case.

Additional sessions judge Yogesh Khanna announced the punishment in a packed courtroom at around 2.30 pm.

The sentence has to be confirmed by Delhi high court.

Holding that the crime committed on a moving bus was in the "rarest of rare category", the court noted that the girl and her male friend were brutally assaulted, her abdomen ripped apart with an iron rod and internal organs pulled out.

They were thrown out of the bus moving at a high speed and the accused tried to run the vehicle over them. She was left on the road half-naked, seriously injured, severely bleeding and shivering in the winter chill.

The judge had convicted Mukesh Singh, 26, Vinay Sharma, 20, Pawan Gupta, 19, and Akshay Thakur, 28, on September 10, holding that there was strong evidence they had committed the brutal gang-rape and a "cold-blooded murder".

Their underage accomplice, who has since turned 18, has been sent to a reform home for three years after a juvenile board handed down a guilty verdict on August 31.

The main accused in the case Ram Singh was found hanging in his Tihar jail cell on March 11.

Special public prosecutor Dayan Krishnan had demanded noose for all convicts for the "grotesque and diabolic" crime.

"There is no chance such criminals can be reformed. If death is not given to such criminals, the common man will lose faith in the courts. Society feels no woman is safe. It is for the courts to change that perception by handing down harsh punishment."

Lawyers for the four convicts had pleaded for mercy saying they were young, did not have previous criminal records and should be given a chance to reform. The court rejected the plea.

The brutal gang-rape on the night of December 16, 2012, sparked spontaneous public outrage across India, bringing thousands of people onto streets in protest against authorities' failure to ensure women's safety.

It also triggered uproar in Parliament and prompted the government to enact a tough law to deal with crimes against women, increased policing and fast-tracking of rape cases across the country.

After the savage attack, the young woman, a paramedical student, fought bravely for life and was airlifted to Singapore for treatment. But her injuries left her with no real chance and she died on December 29.

The court had convicted the accused of gang-rape, murder, conspiracy, attempt to murder, unnatural offences, dacoity, destruction of evidence, kidnapping or abducting with intent to secretly and wrongfully confining a person, abducting to subject a person to grievous hurt and slavery, abducting woman to cause her defilement.

The court mainly relied on the three dying declarations of the victim, the statement of her male friend, DNA analysis, forensic and electronic evidence to hold them guilty.

They are our nation's most hated ones.... They deserve death....

The right judgement for these rapist.The higher court must uphold this judgement and the state should implement /execute the same without any delay. The other may take a lesson from this .No mercy petition should be allowed.:astagh:

The right judgement for these rapist.The higher court must uphold this judgement and the state should implement /execute the same without any delay. The other may take a lesson from this .No mercy petition should be allowed.:astagh:

I understand your sentiments. The judge had no choice but to pass the severest punishment to these guilty men. The death penalty will not bring back J, but it will give some relief to the family. But mostly to India.

Yet, when you think about it, these men are also victims. They all come from poverty, with poor or no education, abandoned with hardly any hopes for a better life, with no money, there is not a chance of marrying, and with a shortage of women, many many men will lead a life of celibacy, of forced batchelorhood.

Their crime is severe, shocking and savage. This savage crime and brave J should live in our conscious, so that we may in our small way ensure that no woman, child ever is taken, forced, assaulted and sexually abused. Our voice should be clear that no man or men or panchayat, or god-menn, or powerful entities outside of our lawful courts have the right to inflict any pain on someone else.

Yet, we should also have a voice for these men, who did not plan any of this. They were drunk, had a bus and were luring 'passengers' to rob them of phones and money. On that fateful night and after a fultile search for conveyance, J and her friend were 'glad' to find some transport to get home. Once inside the machismo took over, first they confronted J's friend and assaulted him, raining blows and removed his clothes and it was during this machismo fighting that drunken men made their ugly terrible decision to assault J. They had absolutely no right to do this and they must be punished - by death as the court has decided. The voice is not to give them any succour or their actions but to remind everyone that they were men living on the margins of society, were poor, had family living hundred of KMs away, lived in a 2 room accomodation, no water, hardly any electricty, no real jobs, drifting in and out of one exploitation into another. Their lives were sad, drink was their escape.

I know I will be attacked. Again I give them no voice for their assault - they raped and killed. They should be punished. However, as a society we all have a hand in this crime. We all have allowed this type of world to exist, where we have bribed our way to a better position, leaving those that do not have the means to do that to rot at the bottom.

Just maybe that rage exloded because they mirror us.

Don't you guys think death sentence is too much?is it because girl died?

I understand your sentiments. The judge had no choice but to pass the severest punishment to these guilty men. The death penalty will not being back J, but it will give some relief to the family. But mostly for India.

Yet, when you think about it, these men are also victims. They all come from poverty, with poor or no education, abandoned with hardly any hopes for a better life, with no money, there is not a chance of marrying, and with a shortage of women, many many men will lead a life of celibacy, of forced batchelorhood.

Their crime is severe, shocking and savage. This savage crime and brave J should live in our conscious, so that we may in our small way ensure that no woman, child ever is taken, forced, assaulted and sexually abused. Our voice should be clear that no man or men or panchayat, or god-menn, or powerful entities outside of our lawful courts have the right to inflict any pain on someone else.

Yet, we should also have a voice for these men, who did not plan any of this. They were drunk, had a bus and were luring 'passengers' to rob them of phones and money. On that fateful night and after a fultile search for conveyance, J and her friend were 'glad' to find some transport to get home. Once inside the machismo took over, first they confronted J's friend and assaulted him, raining blows and removed his clothes and it was during this machismo fighting that drunken men made their ugly terrible decision to assault J. They had absolutely no right to do this and they must be punished - by death as the court has decided. The voice is not to give them any succour or their actions but to remind everyone that they were men living on the margins of society, were poor, had family living hundred of KMs away, lived in a 2 room accomodation, no water, hardly any electricty, no real jobs, drifting in and out of one exploitation into another. Their lives were sad, drink was their escape.

I know I will be attacked. Again I give them no voice for their assault - they raped and killed. They should be punished. However, as a society we all have a hand in this crime. We all have allowed this type of world to exist, where we have bribed our way to a better position, leaving those that do not have the means to do that to rot at the bottom.

Just maybe that rage exloded because they mirror us.
There can be no justification of this cruel act. The only solution for a rabid mad dog is a bullet, they deserve no mercy non at all. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions such youth all around the world who go through hardships in their personal sphere, but if you think that's a reason enough for them to rape and kill girls well then lets just agree to disagree.

Nah it's not too much, they deserved worse but unfortuenately that is maximum punishment under IPC.

There can be no justification of this cruel act. The only solution for a rabid mad dog is a bullet, they deserve no mercy non at all. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions such youth all around the world who go through hardships in their personal sphere, but if you think that's a reason enough for them to rape and kill girls well then lets just agree to disagree.

Please read my post again. You will find that I have not given any justification for this crime. In fact I have asked that all of us add our voice to ensure that no one should ever be assaulted again. However, in such matters to reach a fair point we must look at all circumstances.

Thus, I was merely pointing out that we are indeed rightly enraged by this crime and that we must ensure we remember J, however, this was the perfect storm of poverty, drink, machismo and corruption. This is what raped J, and this perfect storm of corruption is a world we have made and hence it is our resposibility to remove such a terrible world.

You know it is sad to say this but it is true, many people were enraged because it shone a terrible light on India rather than be angry about the crime itself.

Do you know what they did to that poor girl ? How insanely they just threw her on a road and what kind of things they used? $hit when i remember the incident my body start shivering out of anger.

Please read my post again. You will find that I have not given any justification for this crime. In fact I have asked that all of us add our voice to ensure that no one should ever be assaulted again. However, in such matters to reach a fair point we must look at all circumstances.

Thus, I was merely pointing out that we are indeed rightly enraged by this crime and that we must ensure we remember J, however, this was the perfect storm of poverty, drink, machismo and corruption. This is what raped J, and this perfect storm of corruption is a world we have made and hence it is our resposibility to remove such a terrible world.

You know it is sad to say this but it is true, many people were enraged because it shone a terrible light on India rather than be angry about the crime itself.
Yes it is important to address the moral degradation of the societal and moral values but the points you raised are not the primary reasons why such a brutal act happened. It was due to rapes not being highlighted as a serious crime and girls keeping quite in order to not bring further shame to family (society's hypocrisy) and poor rate of conviction of rapists which made animals like these 4 scums think that they can get away with it.

People in India are maturing although at snail's pace but there is a steady upward demand for better governance and law and order. And the outrage was due to failure of the government on many levels be it law & order, corruption, lack of job opportunity. This incident provided people with a platform to let the ministers in higher ups know that they need to do more to serve and protect the people of the country.

People were and still are enraged about increasing crimes against women, although all political parties did tried to earn brownie points but even the idea of suggesting that "many of them were enraged because it shone a terrible light on India" is laughable.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom