What's new

A quick question...

anonymous_bot

New Recruit

Reaction score
A lot of strategic documents and articles predicted that India either leased or intended to atleast lease 4 strategic bombers from Russia in the 90's.
These bombers, rumoured to be Tupolev Tu22M the one with maritime strike capabilities were supposedly leased to be used by the Indian Navy.
Now the Arkorram Base is one of the most secret bases of the IN.So is it a possibility that the aircraft were secretly based there.

Sancho Abingdonboy any insights?

Copp has mentioned in several articles and also a few others... A quick search gives a lot of links...

A lot of strategic documents and articles predicted that India either leased or intended to atleast lease 4 strategic bombers from Russia in the 90's.
These bombers, rumoured to be Tupolev Tu22M the one with maritime strike capabilities were supposedly leased to be used by the Indian Navy.
Now the Arkorram Base is one of the most secret bases of the IN.So is it a possibility that the aircraft were secretly based there.

Copp has mentioned in several articles and also a few others... A quick search gives a lot of links...

Seriously..

Is it necessary to discuss such issues on the net that too on a forum like this ???

Dude relevant data is available on the net for anyone interested...
I am just asking the opinion of members of this forum as to how much strategic value this might have.
Moreover even Wiki states that India has tu22m's if wiki knows almost everyone knows.

First of all that's not Arkorram. That's arakkonam Base. And who said to you that's a secret base. Whole world knows about that base and also about the bombers we leased from russia for short time.

Seriously..

Is it necessary to discuss such issues on the net that too on a forum like this ???

Hahahhah come on man. We are not going to sms this Location to Your enemies. After all If this is on a Forum means its status has changed to non-secret Location.

AFAIK this TU-22 deal never happened, but I could be wrong.

It's a but irrelevant today either way.

I am sure every country has their own surprises... I am sure we have our own.... for example... our Mig 25 foxbat......

I am sure every country has their own surprises... I am sure we have our own.... for example... our Mig 25 foxbat......

Since when were Mig25 ever a surprise?

The real surprise was the RB57 with PAF......

No. TU 22 was with Indian Navy. Even few days ago, i read a article here in pdf, that how P8I are very important in view of aging TU 22.
It might have secretly done.
Nodoby could have known its existence. But my opinion was, it was there with our navy

As mentioned by others, such a deal never happened and there is really not much secret on a base, that parked their aircrafts outside and not in a hangar. If we had Tu22, they would have been spotted by now, the one or the other way.

No. TU 22 was with Indian Navy. Even few days ago, i read a article here in pdf, that how P8I are very important in view of aging TU 22.
Nodoby could have known its existence. But my opinion was, it was there with our navy
Don't know what relevance the P-8I vs TU-22 argument. The TU-22 is/was a bomber, the P-8I is a LR-MPA. Maybe you are getting confused with the TU-142 which is an MPA the IN uses today and will be replaced by the P-8I in the coming years?

thats Tupolev-142M a reconnaisance aircraft not a bomber.the same role which would be performed by P8I

Don't know what relevance the P-8I vs TU-22 argument. The TU-22 is/was a bomber, the P-8I is a LR-MPA. Maybe you are getting confused with the TU-142 which is an MPA the IN uses today and will be replaced by the P-8I in the coming years?

thats Tupolev-142M a reconnaisance aircraft not a bomber.the same role which would be performed by P8I

Yup i got confused. !!!!! Thanks for correcting.

In my reckoning the tu22M is a maritime strike version of the same... I would like to ask what role can such an aircraft play in today's scenario..
The aircraft itself is very much relevant as it can carry 3 kh-22 missile/s.. We all know the capabilities of the same..
Now my question is, whether or not there is a requirement for such an aircraft in the IN.??
The aircraft has a range of 6200 km and combat radius of 2400km... So any navy entering the Indian Ocean would be within striking distance in the matter of minutes..
Again I would like to stress on the aircraft as if its still in service... does it play any role in today's scenario??

First of all that's not Arkorram. That's arakkonam Base. And who said to you that's a secret base. Whole world knows about that base and also about the bombers we leased from russia for short time.
Sorry... my bad... got autocorrected...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom