What's new

A question to all Indian members regarding Indo-Pak water teaty

Control water and u control evrythng.

Can't possible but we can try to save waters...

Worst monsoon in 3 years: Indian Metrological Department
Viju B, TNN Jul 17, 2012, 05.41AM IST
Tags:

US Federal reserve|
senior official|
Santhosh|
natural disaster|
Indian Metrological Department|
Director|
Department of Agriculture|
Bay of Bengal|
agriculture department

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Rains seem to have deserted God's Own Country this year. This is the worst monsoon phase over a three-year period when one considers the first phase of monsoon after analyzing 40 days of average rainfall beginning June 1.

With the exception of 2008, when Kerala witnessed a below normal monsoon, the state received scanty rainfall during the past five years, according to a month -to- month data comparison. The average rainfall received in the last forty days was 657.3 mm, a decrease of 285.4 mm below the normal range, said the Indian Metrological Department (IMD) in Thiruvananthapuram.
Ads by Google

Buy Flat In Mumbai1-5 BHK Flats For Sale In Mumbai. 999+ Properties Available In Mumbai Housing.co.in
નવું મેગેઝિનઅનોખું ને આગવું. તમે જોયું? સાયબરસફર પર સ્વાગત છે આપનું!

Last year, the rainfall between June 1 and July 11 was 897.1 mm, an increase of 239.8 mm when compared to this year's figure. In 2010, during the same period, the state received 849.8mm, which is 192.5 mm more than this years' rainfall. Similarly in 2009, the state received 840.6 mm rainfall, an increase of 183.3 mm compared to this year data.

"We had a very weak monsoon this year. It usually picks up after a couple weeks even if it arrives late. The arrival of monsoon varies from May 25 to June 8 each year. But it usually picks up by the middle of June," IMD director K Santhosh told TOI. He said that the reason for the decrease in rainfall is due to the weak north- westward monsoon current. "Due to this phenomenon, the rain clouds are not being pushed towards the Western Ghats region, so that the dense clouds get condensed into a continuous downpour,'' he said.

Santhosh said the low frequency pressure that was generated in the Bay of Bengal which normally strengthens the monsoon current and thereby strengthens the rainfall in Kerala has not occurred this year.

State planners said they are worried that this year because Kerala, which is already struggling to procure power, may witness a huge power deficit within a couple of months after the monsoon. "We will be forced to begin power cuts as the state hugely depends on power generated from hydro-electric projects,'' said a state official.

The state agriculture department officials said that the paddy crop yields may suffer especially in arid areas like Palakkad. "We are already facing an agrarian crisis and the ground water levels in many panchayats have gone down drastically. Around 60% of the population depends on wells for drinking water, which in turn are fed by rainwater that seep into the soil every year. In case of a bad monsoon, wells tend to dry up,'' a senior official with the irrigation department said.
Worst monsoon in 3 years: Indian Metrological Department - Times Of India

I am strongly against this suggestion, we have done a very good job in giving Pakistan their share of water. I would like this to continue. As it is they sometimes come up with conspiracy theories and you are fanning them by opening this thread.

And what does Pakistan do with that water. Lets it flow in Arabian sea. Whats wrong if we can drain the water to our needy states instead let that go into Arabian sea ?

I respect your opinion but this treaty itself was the most foolish decision India ever made. Period.

Try for a similar treaty with our eastern neighbor they will be even quicker to show you a middle finger. This is the only one reason why i admire so much about our eastern neighbor. When they decide to do some thing they dont give a heck about what others think. Thats why they are so successful.

I am sorry India but your so called soft power diplomacy is not working.

And what does Pakistan do with that water. Lets it flow in Arabian sea. Whats wrong if we can drain the water to our needy states instead let that go into Arabian sea ?

Generally There is Time Limit to international teaty , I don't water treaty have it or not , if it does then we can Seek change during renew process.

I suggest that Indian government make three large dams on the three major rivers in Punjab and drain the river waters from border into channels to flow it into Gujarat, Rajasthan and Maharashtra. Anyways all the rivers flowing in Punjab are regarded has Indian rivers according to the treaty and Pakistan will all be able to do is to protest.

Economically not feasible option...............

Where there is a will there is a way.

i was wondring... why dont v use that fresh water which is blown into the seas from d rivers...???

i was wondring... why dont v use that fresh water which is blown into the seas from d rivers...???

Welcome to PDF Karan. We must use that water and that is possible if we build dams and channel them to somewhere else before they meet the sea. And to do that we must end this stupid treaty. Thats why i opened this thread to ask the view of other members.

I totally disagree with you that it has kept both the parties Happy. If you follow Pak media there is a huge cry about how we are denying them water. But on ground we have never stopped the supply. Its a shame that we have started to follow an appeasement policy with Pakistan hoping that it will suddenly have a heart change and will stop creating problems for us.

if Pak media is uneducated the solution is to educate them, not abrogate the treaty. Do not use water as a weapon. Period.

if Pak media is uneducated the solution is to educate them, not abrogate the treaty. Do not use water as a weapon. Period.

I am not talking about using this as a weapon but simply suggesting that channelling a small quantity of that wasted water can be an enormous help for poor farmers.

Welcome to PDF Karan. We must use that water and that is possible if we build dams and channel them to somewhere else before they meet the sea. And to do that we must end this stupid treaty. Thats why i opened this thread to ask the view of other members.

but stil v do have water of bhramputra nd other rivers... do v need to build dams on them too ?? cant v just channel them ???

I am not talking about using this as a weapon but simply suggesting that channelling a small quantity of that wasted water can be an enormous help for poor farmers.

Don't bring 'poor farmers' into this. There is a lot that we can do without impinging on the rights of the pak establishment, let's do that first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom