What's new

A China-based bank that's trying to de-dollarize global lending is now having trouble repaying its dollar debts

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
A development bank established by the BRICS bloc of nations to reduce reliance on US dollar loans is having trouble finding dollars to repay its own debts, sources told the Wall Street Journal.

Based in Shanghai, the New Development Bank has largely ceased issuing new loans, the report said.

The institution came about eight years ago through the collective effort of the BRICS: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.

It was meant to establish an alternative to US-dominated, dollar-based financial institutions like the International Monetary Fund and dovetailed with Beijing's efforts to erode the greenback's status. Its lending was aggressive, and committed loans climbed from $1 billion in 2017 to $30 billion in 2022.

But to provide capital to developing economies, the New Development Bank had to borrow from Wall Street as well as Chinese lenders. So despite its mission to de-dollarize lending, about two-thirds of its own borrowings were dollar-denominated, the Journal said.

But after Russia's invasion of Ukraine last year, Wall Street backers were less willing to lend to a bank that was nearly 20% owned by Moscow.

At the same time, the appointment of Dilma Rousseff as the bank's new chief stirred controversy, given that she was previously impeached as Brazil's president. Next in line for the bank's presidency will be a Russian appointee.

Without its usual dollar support, the institution is servicing prior debt through more expensive borrowings. According to the Journal, the bank's first bond since the Ukraine war started was five times as expensive as prior loans. Taken out in April, it cost $1.25 billion.

The bank is also in talks with Argentina, Saudi Arabia and Honduras to become members and potentially provide more capital.

Still, the bank's challenge in attaining dollars earned it a Fitch Ratings credit downgrade last July. Meanwhile, the New Development Bank was told that interest on any new loans could quadruple, and the premium the bank charges its members to borrow has doubled, shrinking loan disbursements to a trickle, sources told the Journal.

And given China's own economic downturn, it's unlikely that the lender can expect much financial support from Beijing.

The lender told WSJ that there's "a considerable interest in bonds issued" through the bank, while its loan origination and liquidity remain strong. The New Development Bank did not respond immediately to Insider's request for comment.

A Bank China Built to Challenge the Dollar Now Needs the Dollar​

If this is true this requires a @DF41 reaction

emoji-laugh.gif

SCHADENFREUDE

laugh-emoji.gif

SCHADENFREUDE
laugh-slam.gif

SCHADENFREUDE

😡😡😡🖕🖕🖕🚽🚽🚽💩💩💩🤮🤮🤮😡😡😡 😡😡😡🖕🖕🖕💩💩💩🤮🤮🤮🚽🚽🚽😡😡😡
🤮🤮🤮🖕🖕🖕🚽🚽🚽💩💩💩

Last edited:
The meaning of this article is that Wall Street refuses to provide loans to the BRICS New Development Bank.

Why does the author believe that only Wall Street has a large amount of capital?

Latest news from China: Bank of China has purchased 8.5 billion CNY in bonds from the BRICS New Development Bank.

What an embarrassment for the Wall Street Journal.

IMG_20230617_195620.jpg

Last edited:
The biggest problem with this article is that it does not clearly explain why the BRICS New Development Bank is more willing to obtain funding from Wall Street. That is because India and Russia do not want China to expand its influence and voice in the BRICS New Development Bank.

As long as countries such as Russia agree, China has enough US dollars to fill this bank. I guess you all forgot about China's foreign exchange reserves, US dollar debt, and huge surplus.

Moreover, the economic problem China is currently facing is signs of deflation, which is exactly the opposite of inflation in the USA. It means that the Chinese govt does not lack money, but rather lacks investment channels.

This incident provides China with the opportunity to expand its influence and promote CNY loans in BRICS countries.

Last edited:
Last edited:
hmm..my Chinese better than yours...must be "Opposite Day".
I mistakenly typed '¥' as' $ '.

To be honest, it was a foolish thing Wall Street did. As long as Russia and India do not unite, no one can stop China from expanding its influence in BRICS institutions.

Russia, currently at war, has no interest in joining forces with India to stop China. Once the BRICS countries successfully expand before the end of the Ukrainian war, Russia and India, whose power and discourse have been diluted, will no longer be able to stop China.

Of course, the elites on Wall Street cannot be more foolish than me. I guess their goal is to support the GOP and crack down on Trump.

Although I don't know the reason, I know that for Wall Street, China is definitely more threatening than Russia, but Trump is definitely more threatening than China.

Last edited:
even the chinese would rather hold dollars than rmb

hmm..my Chinese better than yours...must be "Opposite Day".
If the WMSM starts picking on these, it means we are heading the right direction. I have been seeing a pattern, when the West feels anxious, they tend make jokes to make themselves feel better and secured. Just my observation over the years, from 3 gorges dam cracking to Chinese carrier cracking. Lolol

even the chinese would rather hold dollars than rmb

All these article to reassure themselves China ain't creating an alternative right? My friend China is not abandoning nor replacing dollars, we are thinking in a spectrum not zero sum game. We will trade in dollars and RMB. We hav3 always had a hybrid system.

If the WMSM starts picking on these, it means we are heading the right direction. I have been seeing a pattern, when the West feels anxious, they tend make jokes to make themselves feel better and secured. Just my observation over the years, from 3 gorges dam cracking to Chinese carrier cracking. Lolol

All these article to reassure themselves China ain't creating an alternative right? My friend China is not abandoning nor replacing dollars, we are thinking in a spectrum not zero sum game. We will trade in dollars and RMB. We hav3 always had a hybrid system.

lol then remove capital controls

see what happens to your xi bucks

what xi gonna do, make rmb/forex only freely exchangeable for foreigners?

Last edited:
The biggest problem with this article is that it does not clearly explain why the BRICS New Development Bank is more willing to obtain funding from Wall Street. That is because India and Russia do not want China to expand its influence and voice in the BRICS New Development Bank.

As long as countries such as Russia agree, China has enough US dollars to fill this bank. I guess you all forgot about China's foreign exchange reserves, US dollar debt, and huge surplus.

Moreover, the economic problem China is currently facing is signs of deflation, which is exactly the opposite of inflation in the USA. It means that the Chinese govt does not lack money, but rather lacks investment channels.

This incident provides China with the opportunity to expand its influence and promote CNY loans in BRICS countries.
deflation does not means you do not lack money, in fact, when you say "lack investment channel" it mean you don't have enough capital flow, which mean you don't have enough money.......

The problem with any Chinese bank dealing with international loan is the same old problem, it's capital control. Unless RMB can free flow, China most likely will not deal large amount of loan in RMB. And you cannot comment the same way between USD and CYN, one is freely floated, one is not, USD would represent the actual market environment, CYN represent CCP monetary policy.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom