What's new

A 16-year-old pop star was forced to apologize to China for waving Taiwan’s flag

Chou Tzu-yu is a Taiwanese singer in the nine-girl Korean pop band Twice. In the past 24 hours, the 16-year-old has also become a symbol of the island’s civic pride, and China’s heavy-handed attempts to stifle that pride—just as Taiwan voters goes to the polls.

On January 8th, Taiwanese pop singer Michael Huang posted a message(link in Chinese) on Sina Weibo blasting Chou for performing while holding a Taiwanese flag. He accompanied the message with a staged portrait of Chou lying on a bed holding the Korean and Taiwanese flags. Huang is known for his pro-unification sentiments, and has pull similar stunts before on Taiwanese musicians.

The Taiwanese flag, which is distinctly different from China’s, is a sore point for some Chinese, who view its display as activism for an independent Taiwan. Taiwan has ruled itself since 1949, after the Kuomintang fled the Chinese mainland after a civil war, but Beijing considers it a province of China.

Huang’s post was widely circulated on the Chinese internet. Days later, Taiwanese media reported Chou had been banned from performing on Anhui TV’s Spring Festival Gala. The agency that booked the show also demanded that Twice’s management company, JYP, refund a 100,000 yuan deposit (about $15,230).

“There is only one China,” she said. “The cross-straits territories are one in the same, and I am proud to consider myself thoroughly Chinese. As a Chinese person who performs abroad, [I say] to my employers and internet friends on both sides of the straits—I’m terribly sorry for the harm I have caused, and I feel ashamed.” The video has been viewed nearly 3 million times, and the

Managers at the JYP have also expressed support for “one China” and issued public apologies. “We have been unable to substitute the guidance of a mother and father for Chou, and this is our error,” one representative told media (link in Chinese).

It’s not uncommon for Taiwanese pop stars to be penalized in China for comments perceived to be pro-independence, but Chou’s young age has inspired sypmathy, and anger at China. Her morose apology has been viewed nearly 3 million times on YouTube, and hundreds of Taiwanese and Korean commentators expressed their support for her.

Numerous Taiwanese leaders and politicians have also backed Chou, whose Facebook page has since been removed. “For a 16-year-old, this is too cruel,” wrote KMT presidential candidate Eric Chu, whose party nominally supports unification with China. “Chou Tzu-yu, we welcome you back home.”

The situation may have insired more Taiwanese to go to the polls, analysts said. “Neutral voters who previously did not want to go out to vote might show up to cast their ballots to Taiwan-centric candidates and China-friendly candidates could suffer as a result,” Yao Li-min, chairman of the Citizen’s Congress Watch, told the SCMP.

I have nothing against KMT flag, our nation used to be united under that flag to fight and win the anti Japanese war. it's part of our collective legacy, the public have no need to make a huge deal out of it.It's not a government act, it's more of a general public fury which I believe is of no need.

images

15792650.jpg

Last edited:
I have nothing against KMT flag, our nation used to be united under that flag to fight and win the anti Japanese war. it's part of our collective legacy, the public have no need to make a huge deal out of it.It's not a government act, it's more of a general public fury which I believe is of no need.
KMT have lost the 2016 election in TaiWan, and if TaiWan to announce independence Xi will send PLA to start War ... im sure we will meet a Civil War in Taiwan Strait ... Xi not Hu.

We did not force her to apologize to us. Our netizen(not government) just want to boycott her from mainland market. It's nothing wrong for we have the right to boycott anyone unwelcome. She apologized because she wants to make money from us. Probably her company forced her to do so.

I think she is just used by both side to score cheap political point.

From news report, it was said that she was once arranged to wave the Republic of China(ROC) flag by Korean TV, because well, she is from ROC (Taiwan).
It is the pro-independent media that politicized that act and then the pro-reunification and mainland netizen get angry with her because of her "supposed" political stand.
She did not actually did anything political deliberately.

And in her apology, she just stated what would be the standard or official stand of the ROC government.
She stated that there is only one China, and that she is Chinese.
That "one China" could refer to either the ROC or the PRC(mainland).
And that is a standard stand that is currently acceptable to both sides of the strait.
And nobody should be pissed-off.

I hope this incident would one day fade away, and she could come visit mainland.

She is young, she do not have to chose if she do not want to.

Not everything has to be political.

In fact, I see overly politicizing everything is what is wrong with the ROC(Taiwan) politics. I hope that mainlander would not becoming that way too.

Earning money in China market, or walk away ... just make a choice.

We did not force her to apologize to us. Our netizen(not government) just want to boycott her from mainland market. It's nothing wrong for we have the right to boycott anyone unwelcome. She apologized because she wants to make money from us. Probably her company forced her to do so.
Aha.... this is another case of -

Money talks, bullsh*t walks.

At the end of the day, it's all about money.

Don't offend your customers, especially when they are a big market for your products.

KMT have lost the 2016 election in TaiWan, and if TaiWan to announce independence Xi will send PLA to start War ... im sure we will meet a Civil War in Taiwan Strait ... Xi not Hu.

:coffee: PRC has an anti-secession law that was ratified in China Parliament in 2005 and went into effect immediately.

I am pretty sure the new Taiwan President would be so silly to rock the island by declaring independence.

It is quite unfortunate many Taiwanese voters do not have the vision are not looking forward realistically at the big picture. They will lose out to South Korea.

IMO The choice may or will set Taiwan backward for many years to come.

typo error...
the new Taiwan President would NOT be so silly

:coffee: PRC has an anti-secession law that was ratified in China Parliament in 2005 and went into effect immediately.

I am pretty sure the new Taiwan President would be so silly to rock the island by declaring independence.

It is quite unfortunate many Taiwanese voters do not have the vision are not looking forward realistically at the big picture. They will lose out to South Korea.

IMO The choice may or will set Taiwan backward for many years to come.

typo error...
the new Taiwan President would NOT be so silly

Consider the Ukrainian revolution, I won't have a high expectation for those low IQ green Taiwanese.

images

15792650.jpg

The KMT is by far the most incompetent regime in the Chinese history.

They deserve every a bit about what will come after them. CPC will just let the DPP to purge them first then to take Taiwan back without any sequela.

She is not banned for holding the flag. Instead, some Taiwan media used her. Now, why doesn't those media offer her a better job?

Back
Top Bottom