What's new

A-10 Thunderbolt II Gets New Wings, Ensures the Sound of Freedom into 2035

ExtraOdinary

Reaction score
Country
India
A-10 Thunderbolt II Gets New Wings, Ensures the Sound of Freedom into 2035 | Topic A: DefenseTopic A: Defense

The A-10 Thunderbolt II plays a key role in protecting our troops and it’s about to get a makeover.

The U.S. Air Force’s A-10 Warthog, a twin-engine jet designed for close air support of ground forces, is receiving new wings that will improve mission availability and help save the Air Force an estimated $1.3 billion in maintenance costs over the next 30 years.

In recent months, Boeing was awarded three follow-on orders for a total of 56 replacement wings and is on contract to build up to 242 wings at its plant in Macon, Ga.

The A-10 is known for its excellent maneuverability at low air speeds and altitude, and its ability to deliver weapons with great accuracy. A-10s can loiter near battle areas for extended periods of time and operate under 1,000-foot ceilings and 1.5-mile visibility. With its significant range and short takeoff and landing capability, it is uniquely suited to serve in and out of locations near the front lines.

This makeover will allow the A-10 to continue to protect our troops and to operate into 2035.

100316-F-5271W-148-300x200.jpg

The A 10 is an excellent weapon for close support and its importance is paramount especially in the WOT, I wonder why we have not procured it....

The A 10 is an excellent weapon for close support and its importance is paramount especially in the WOT, I wonder why we have not procured it....
I dont think it's up for export. Only the USAF operates it

Yup there were initially offered to Pakistan with F-20 and F-15 where as F-16 was rejected.

I heard a while back that they had been offered to Pakistan, but Pakistan chose F16 over them....:undecided:

Two different Planes from different category.

A-10 aircraft designed solely for close air support of ground forces, A-10 built to attack tanks, armored vehicles and other ground targets with limited air defenses.

F-16 Fighting Falcon is a single-engine multirole fighter aircraft, designed as an all weather air superiority day/night fighter.

A-10 was offered but for a different scenario/purpose not day/night fighter..PAF was not interested our requirements were a modern multirole fighter at the time.

I heard a while back that they had been offered to Pakistan, but Pakistan chose F16 over them....:undecided:
Well i know about the Northrop F-20 Tiger Shark being offered to Pakistan and PAF opting for F-16 over it. Not A-10!
Furthermore A-10 and F-16 are for completely different role, One is a a true Mulirole fighter with air combat as first priority (F-16) and the other is a CAS/ Ground attach aircraft (A-10).
These two being offered as alternative of one and other does not makes much sense.

F-16 is a multirole fighter while this A-10 specializes in close air support :undecided:. Apples and Oranges.
Well i know about the Northrop F-20 Tiger Shark being offered to Pakistan and PAF opting for F-16 over it. Not A-10!
Furthermore A-10 and F-16 are for completely different role, One is a a true Mulirole fighter with air combat as first priority (F-16) and the other is a CAS/ Ground attach aircraft (A-10).
These two being offered as alternative of one and other does not makes much sense.
Two different Planes from different category.

A-10 aircraft designed solely for close air support of ground forces, A-10 built to attack tanks, armored vehicles and other ground targets with limited air defenses.

F-16 Fighting Falcon is a single-engine multirole fighter aircraft, designed as an all weather air superiority day/night fighter.

A-10 was offered but for a different scenario/purpose not day/night fighter..PAF was not interested our requirements were a modern multirole fighter at the time.

I know the difference between a multirole fighter and a close air support one, I just googled of the ! 10 had ever been offered to Pakistan and although I didnt find a conclusive link but there are several forums that say that it was offered during the Zia era to counter Ruski Armour but we chose the F 16 A/B over it, some forums say that had a choice between the A 10 and Tiger Copters but apparently we went ahead with none....:undecided:

I know the difference between a multirole fighter and a close air support one, I just googled of the ! 10 had ever been offered to Pakistan and although I didnt find a conclusive link but there are several forums that say that it was offered during the Zia era to counter Ruski Armour but we chose the F 16 A/B over it, some forums say that had a choice between the A 10 and Tiger Copters but apparently we went ahead with none....:undecided:

Hi, Timely and good decision back then by some certain sane heads in PAF to opt for F-16s otherwise we would have been stuck with F-7s alone. Lots of things were offered and asked for that period has gone. For example while F-1 Mirages were still young and cheaper around than Mirage 2000 in mid/late 80s we did not give heed to it and kept on checking Mirage 2000, Tornados. The next & second production variants were from 1977 to 83. we should have collected these F-1s time to time along Mirage III/Vs again era is gone. We got AH-1 Cobras if not tigers again a good decision of that time.

Last edited:
why cant we now buy few of these birds to blow few Talibans A$$'s ? its never to late to start !

The A10 Thunderbolt was offered to us in the 80's, when we wanted F16 Multirole aircraft, the Americans being nervous about giving their best fighter to us, offered us the A10 instead. We didn't settle for the A10, and kept asking for the F16, when the Soviets Invaded, the Americans finally agreed to give us the F16.

Or at least something similar to this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom