What's new

85% of the World's HIV/AIDS Antiretroviral Drugs Made in India

Buy Land. They are not making it anymore. - Mark Twain
:o:

Ranjeet-Property.gif

I can sense that people don't get to understand how R&D works and why MNPs charge so much for their patents/products. I will not go into details but can propose a solution to the problem here.

R&D takes place either in the Universities or R&D facilities established by MNP. The funding for research either comes from public sector (i.e. tax payer's money) of from private (mostly from MNP) or both. The researcher and the parent institution and the funder hold the stakes and decide whether to file a patent or not. Research resulting from private funding (even if partially) almost always get patented because the investment is not made out of good heart by the MNP's but to reap benefit if and when a product makes it to the market (only 1 of 10,000 lead compounds*). The investment in terms of dollars and work hour (at-least 10 years) is huge, somewhere between $1.5 - 1.8 billion**. It does not stop here as cost continues to mount when a drug that has passed phase III clinical trials enters into manufacturing and marketing and hopefully not taken off the market due to adverse side effects previously not observed in clinical trials.

I totally understand that drugs must be affordable but businessmen and investors do not think like that, they look for the return of their investment. The only 'legal' way of bringing the costs down is:

a. funding drug development by the government through tax payer's money (so tax payers be prepared to chip in little more) and/or

b. buying the rights off the shelf by the government and/or

c. subsidizing the cost.

Ripping off stake holders from their rights to set the price is both illegal and unethical.

*Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development
**How to improve R&D productivity: the pharmaceutical industry's grand challenge. How to improve R&D productivity: the pharmaceutical industry's grand challenge : Article : Nature Reviews Drug Discovery

@Slav Defence
Amazing Article,
The challenge for researcher is to make an effective research within limited budget.Recently,Pakistan is encountering various challenges which includes viral and bacterial diesease.Since,you are a virologist and very experienced one,therefore I hope that you are aware that how these medicines work.Bacterial receptors for example are targeted.However,those who survived managed to create mutations by changing their receptor sites.
In case of viruses,correct me if I am wrong,viruses mostly survive from drugs by changing their genetic code ie CCG to GCC to prevent molecular drugs from making bonds and destroying it.
Hence,for a researcher it is greatest challenge to look for suitable compounds which may destroy them.Remember,drugs can be called effective,but they never destory 100% as we let human's immune system to kill the rest.These are the general cases we are discussing.
That is why sometimes,slight change in chemical formula makes drugs very effective as well for specific mutated,survived bacteria.Therefore,we can see in market that some drugs retracted back are again found with ''improved formula'' labelled in them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming to the issue,I believe that there is nothing wrong if Indian drugs are paving way in Pakistani market to encounter various dieseases.However,it would be much better if ministry makes investments at Pakistani reserachers and makes sure that they are getting enough funds to built up medicines.
Regards

Last edited:
The concept of patents, copy right protection, and their renewal is of-course beyond understanding for those who have never got themselves involved into serious R&D rather relying on stealing other's years of hard work and investment.

Again, you want to do charity, do it using your own money and not of others. Ancient texts are claimed to be full of remedies and cures for all worldly and heavenly diseases; dig those out, manufacture elixirs and potions and start distributing for free, not only in India but rest of the world. I believe all of us will be thankful to India for her humanitarian assistance.

But until then, please do not question the authority and right of patent holders on what they should do with their life long effort and hard work.

20120504290802201.jpg

you should be thankful to india for helping poor of PAKISTAN toooo...... shows how much you care about your own country.....

Back
Top Bottom