What's new

6 more Apaches and 30 Armed Naval Choppers finalised for $3.5-bn before of Trump's visit to India

Zapper

Reaction score
Country
India
India has finalized two more mega defence deals with the US, together worth over $3.5 billion (Rs 25,000 crore) for 30 heavy-duty armed helicopters, in the run-up to President Donald Trump’s visit here on February 24-25.
https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1549563552116-26214593462_de91360682_o.jpg

These soon-to-be-inked deals will take the total value of Indian defence contracts bagged by the US just since 2007 to well past the $20 billion mark. The $2.6 billion deal for 24 MH-60 `Romeo’ multi-mission helicopters for the Navy and the $930 million one for six AH-64E Apache attack choppers for the Army are set to be cleared by the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) by next week, said sources on Wednesday.

“India will pay an initial 15% instalment for the MH-60R helicopters under the US Foreign Military Sales (FMS) government-to-government deal. Once the contract is inked, the first lot of the choppers will be delivered in two years. All 24 will come in four to five years,” said a source.

The “direct commercial sale” of the six Apaches, in turn, is basically a follow-on order to the 22 such helicopters already inducted by IAF under a Rs 13,952 crore deal inked with the US in September 2015. “The Army should get the deliveries of the six choppers, armed with Stinger air-to-air missiles, Hellfire Longbow air-to-ground missiles, guns and rockets, around 2022-2023,” said a source.
thumb-1920-361802.jpg

The MH-60Rs, which are armed with Hellfire missiles, MK-54 torpedoes and precision-kill rockets, are considered a “critical operational necessity” for the Navy because its warships are virtually bereft of such helicopters at a time when Chinese nuclear and diesel-electric submarines are making regular forays into the Indian Ocean Region. The 140-warship force has just about a dozen old Sea King and 10 Kamov-28 anti-submarine warfare helicopters operational as of now.

As was first reported by TOI in June last year, the 24 MH-60Rs and six Apache helicopters are part of the several lucrative defence deals worth over $10 billion being lined up for the US by India over the next two-three years.

The others include six more P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft ($1.8 billion), the National Advanced Surface to Air Missile System-II for the missile shield over Delhi ($1.8 billion), 30 Sea Guardian armed drones (over $2.5 billion) and 13 big MK-45 naval gun systems for warships ($1.02 billion). “These deals will take some time to be finalized and inked,” said the source.

During his visit, President Trump is also expected to push the case for a US fighter -- F/A-18, F-15EX or F-21 (upgraded version of F-16) -- to be selected for the mega “Make in India” project to produce 114 jets for the IAF for around $20 billion. The US is also in contention to supply 57 multi-role fighters capable of operating from aircraft carriers for the Indian Navy.
India and the US have also identified seven defence projects for co-development and production under the bilateral Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI). These include air-launched small aerial systems (drone swarms), light-weight small arms technology, ISTAR (intelligence, surveillance, targeting and reconnaissance) systems and anti-drone technology called “counter-UAS rocket, artillery and mortar systems”, as was reported by TOI in October last year.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-3-5bn-defence-deals/articleshow/74108325.cms

We should ask for air launched versions of Tomahawk cruise missiles to be fitted on our P8I fleet.....

Looks like India is looking forward to modernize its military in the 5 years period (2021 - 2026). This does not sound good.

Pakistan - Turkey relations set to expand, is a relief. However, Pakistan should seek technological compensations from USA.

Pakistan should also try to build solid relations with UK. Pakistani diaspora in UK should be put to task there.

We should ask for air launched versions of Tomahawk cruise missiles to be fitted on our P8I fleet.....
Why do you want Tomahawks when you have Nirbhay with similar capabilities? Secondly Brahmos negates the need for any such missile.

When you have money you can buy anything.

Pakistan is buying 8 submarines and 4 frigates from china coupled. Pakistan is also buying 4 Ada class boats and T129 helos. Pakistan had a deal with US for AH1Z as well which was cancelled cz US refused. Money is not the issue here. India is merely a bigger market therefore will always get preference from defense exporting countries.

“India will pay an initial 15% instalment for the MH-60R helicopters under the US Foreign Military Sales (FMS) government-to-government deal. Once the contract is inked, the first lot of the choppers will be delivered in two years. All 24 will come in four to five years,” said a source.
U guys will just pay 15%?

Looks like India is beefing up its Anti Sub Capability. MH 60s and P8s are very deadly for Subs

Why do you want Tomahawks when you have Nirbhay with similar capabilities? Secondly Brahmos negates the need for any such missile.

I know about Nirbhay and bramhos but both lack range of tomahawk which is 1500+ Kms whereas Nirbhay 800-1000 Kms and brahmos 500 km max.... Only for the range I would love to see it on our P8Is.... But off course USA won't sell it to us.....

Looks like India is looking forward to modernize its military in the 5 years period (2021 - 2026). This does not sound good.

Pakistan - Turkey relations set to expand, is a relief. However, Pakistan should seek technological compensations from USA.

Pakistan should also try to build solid relations with UK. Pakistani diaspora in UK should be put to task there.

It will take at least 15 years for Indian armed forces to modernise to an AVERAGE level. Little snippets of news do not amount to much when you consider the size of the monumental task.
I would be careful in putting a lot of faith in the new Caliph of Istanbul.
The purges he has carried out would make Modi blush. His foreign invasions of other countries will produce a reaction. Turks will turf the Caliph out, one way or another. As will Indians when they will vote out Modi
I am not sure US which has provided FREE billions in weaponry are prepared to indulge any more beggars.
Its a pity that UK's finance minister (Rishi) and home minister (Prity) are of Indian extraction , as is UK's chief Law officer (Ruella). deputy terrorism police chief (Basu) etc etc etc

There are many junior govt personnel coming up of Indian extraction. Too many to mention. They will be running the UK in the future.

Last edited:

The speed at which India is arming itself, it won’t be long before they will attempt to attack Pakistan or even roll over us. This PTI govt needs to kickstart the economy otherwise We’r going to be in even worse trouble

pakistani diaspora always help but why aren’t they helped in Pakistan when it comes to their land and assets.

U guys will just pay 15%?

Looks like India is beefing up its Anti Sub Capability. MH 60s and P8s are very deadly for Subs
15% would be paid upfront I guess which is a norm in all defence deals while the rest would be paid as they get delivered

Tomahawks don't add any significant advantage to what we already have in our inventory but we should figure out a way to integrate our missiles on US weapons platforms

Why do you want Tomahawks when you have Nirbhay with similar capabilities? Secondly Brahmos negates the need for any such missile
I guess you need to have access to source codes to integrate your missiles on American weapons platforms right!!

I guess you need to have access to source codes to integrate your missiles on American weapons platforms right!!

Tomahawk is strategic weapon platform used exclusively by US. In Past US has denied requests by Japan, Israel and several other countries who wanted to purchase this missile. Only known operators are US and UK. Also tomahawk is nuclear capable so no way US will sell it to any other country.

Secondly Tomahawk is a land attack cruise missile whereas P8I is mainly used as MPA. Most of Indian Aircrafts are capable of carrying Brahmos so seems to me there is no such need to integrate any cruise missile on P8I.

I know about Nirbhay and bramhos but both lack range of tomahawk which is 1500+ Kms whereas Nirbhay 800-1000 Kms and brahmos 500 km max.... Only for the range I would love to see it on our P8Is.... But off course USA won't sell it to us.....

It is a strategic weapons platform meaning nuclear capable so no way US will sell it to any country. 500km is plenty of range for any cruise missile especially for a naval attack role.

Tomahawk is strategic weapon platform used exclusively by US. In Past US has denied requests by Japan, Israel and several other countries who wanted to purchase this missile. Only known operators are US and UK. Also tomahawk is nuclear capable so no way US will sell it to any other country.

Secondly Tomahawk is a land attack cruise missile whereas P8I is mainly used as MPA. Most of Indian Aircrafts are capable of carrying Brahmos so seems to me there is no such need to integrate any cruise missile on P8I
Not particularly about Tomahawk but integrating US missiles on a non-US platform requires source codes which US wouldn't give out obviously. After Feb-27, IAF wanted MBDA's Meteor on it's Sukhois but MBDA said they could only be integrated onto a jet using an EU radar which is why we're only getting the Meteors for the Rafales

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom