What's new

54 missing Indian soldiers in Pakistan's custody

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

54 missing Indian soldiers in Pak's custody: Defence minister

NEW DELHI: Defence minister AK Antony on Monday told Lok Sabha that 54 missing Indian military personnel of the 1965 and 1971 wars are believed to be in Pakistan's custody.

India has repeatedly taken up the issue with Pakistan but it does not acknowledge any such personnel in its custody.

"A delegation of 14 relatives of missing defence personnel also visited 10 jails in Pakistan from June 1 to 14, 2007, but could not conclusively confirm the physical presence of any missing defence personnel," he said.

"The families of these missing personnel have been given liberalized pension and rehabilitation benefits as per extant rules," he added.

The Times of India - Indian Newspapers in English Language from six editions.

It's a beggars belief, for those who fought in 1965 war, must be in their 70s now, at that age the person becomes more of a liability than any thing else. Why on earth would Pakistan want to hold on to such vulnerable old trophies. ??

It's a beggars belief, for those who fought in 1965 war, must be in their 70s now, at that age the person becomes more of a liability than any thing else. Why on earth would Pakistan want to hold on to such vulnerable old trophies. ??

We are a cussed people, both of us. Once denied, any admission would entail a loss of face. Unfortunately, that is where this will end. There will never be a happy ending in any such case.

We are a cussed people, both of us. Once denied, any admission would entail a loss of face. Unfortunately, that is where this will end. There will never be a happy ending in any such case.

With some form of thaw in relations, one would expect certain goodwill gestures from both sides.
I highly doubt the GOP would have hosted the relatives for a fortnight just for the Kodak moment.

With some form of thaw in relations, one would expect certain goodwill gestures from both sides.
I highly doubt the GOP would have hosted the relatives for a fortnight just for the Kodak moment.

To show them around in some jails where no doubt those prisoners wont be there...

If Pakistan does deny any of Indian soldiers in its jail then why not open the jail for a special team of Indians who visit various jails in Pakistan and see for themselves..and India can do the same.

if Pakistan want to keep these people there is no way Indian team will find about them by visiting some jails.... Same is case for India. And that is reality.

If Pakistan does deny any of Indian soldiers in its jail then why not open the jail for a special team of Indians who visit various jails in Pakistan and see for themselves..and India can do the same.

Letting Pakistani investigators interview Ajmal Kasab would have been a step in the right direction.

I feel for them, I hope they are released and allowed to live out the last of their days in the country they fought to protect.

if Pakistan want to keep these people there is no way Indian team will find about them by visiting some jails.... Same is case for India. And that is reality.

But what purpose would keeping them in captivity serve?It has been over 40 years and they all would be pretty old.They should be released to atleast spend the last few years of their life with their families.

I hope our nations reach an agreement on this.

But what purpose would keeping them in captivity serve?It has been over 40 years and they all would be pretty old.They should be released to atleast spend the last few years of their life with their families.

I hope our nations reach an agreement on this.

As banglore said we are cursed people. A case of Dr. Chishti is example how inhuman can we become..

i think bangalore put it best. doubt this will ever end happily for those concerned . if GOP accepts now they have them it will be a loss of face . so it will never happen. the same goes for India.

Maybe POW might have known some ugly secrets of Pakistani war... It may be the reason for pakistanis not freeing them...

I think any talk of siachen should be tangled with this issue to put the former to rest as well.. :woot:

Back
Top Bottom