What's new

4 get life term in Shakti Mills gang rape case

Koovie

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
rape_1801780f.jpg

Ujjwal Nikam, special public prosecutor, addresses media after the judgement on Shakti Mills gang rape case, in Mumbai. Photo: Vivek Bendre

A Mumbai sessions court on Friday awarded life sentence to four convicts for the gang rape of a telephone operator at the Shakti Mills compound in 2013. This means the accused face imprisonment till the end of their natural lives.

Meanwhile, the public prosecutor has sought death penalty for three of the accused who are also convicted for the gang rape of a photojournalist at the same location.

While arguing on the quantum of sentence in the photojournalist’s case, the prosecution moved an application to invoke an additional charge under Section 376(E) of the Indian Penal Code for enhancement of punishment against the three common accused. Under this Section, a repeat offender can be sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of the natural life or death.

"These accused have a criminal tendency and should be awarded strictest of punishment, which will serve as a deterrent," special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told the court.

The defence has sought time to present their case. The quantum of sentence in the photojournalist’s case will be pronounced on March 24.

On August 22, 2013, the photojournalist had gone to Shakti Mills with a male colleague on an assignment. The accused initially offered to help them but later accused them of trespassing on railway property. They then tied up the male colleague and gang-raped the young woman. They claimed they had taken photographs of the victim and would make them public if she complained.

Two weeks after the incident, the telephone operator came forward and registered a case against four men for gang raping her in July 2013. Three of the men were common to the photojournalist’s rape. The telephone operator had gone there with her boyfriend, who was also tied up when she was violated.

The four convicts who were awarded the life term include Vijay Jadhav, Qasim Sheikh alias Bengali, Salim Ansari and Mohammad Ashfak Shaikh.

On Thursday, the sessions court convicted them on 13 counts, including gang rape, destruction of evidence, criminal conspiracy of the IPC and certain Sections of the Information Technology (IT) Act.

Maharashtra Home Minister R.R. Patil, who was present in the court on Thursday said, “The judgment was delivered in record time. Mumbai prides itself in being a safe city for women. This verdict will be a deterrent.”

The fifth accused, a minor in the telephone operator gang rape case, is being tried by the Juvenile Justice Board. Speaking after the verdict on Thursday, then Crime Branch chief Himanshu Roy, who led the investigation said, “My personal view is that the age for trying a juvenile who commits a crime like this should be reduced to 16 years.”

Keywords: Shakti Mills gang rape case, photojournalist rape, telephone operator rape

4 get life term in Shakti Mills gang rape case - The Hindu

They are repeat offenders .......... Should have been given capital punishment .

Hindu rapists of delhi get death but muslim rapists of bombay don't.

bless the indian secularism.

I pity your brain.... whats wrong with it?

The victims have to suffer so much and you start this nonsense?

How sick does it have to be to bring your religion BS in this thread?

Cant you think normal? Are you living in the stone age? Have you even invested one minute in comparing the two crimes with a brain? No, you probably spent more time in finding out in what kind of God the people involved believe in.... great.

You Sir, are a retard.
People like you with this mindset are a curse, not only for India but for the entire human race.
Period.

i dont want ur secular gas,i know how the congress party thinks,so save me all the random trash.

i dont want ur secular gas,i know how the congress party thinks,so save me all the random trash.
You need help kid. :rolleyes:
This is just the first judgement , they have yet to be sentenced in the photojournalist case. and under the new nirbhay act it asks for the death penalty for repeat offenders.

Dude, the Delhi rape was brutal and cruel. Not to mention that the victim died and hence it was a murder.

Anyway in this case (of the 19 year old telephone operator) they get life sentence, for the second rape case (of the 23 yo photo journalist) it will be considered a repeat offence and as per the new law, capital punishment will be asked for.

Please don't make it a Hindu - Muslim thing here. There is enough muck every where.

Last edited:
i wish i don't have to make it a religious issue but i dont trust the congress to stay away from the judicial process

You need help kid. :rolleyes:
This is just the first judgement , they have yet to be sentenced in the photojournalist case. and under the new nirbhay act it asks for the death penalty for repeat offenders.

unless they get deatn penalty,it wont be.

i ll decide what i need,aap apna sambhal lo kaka.

i wish i don't have to make it a religious issue but i dont trust the congress to stay away from the judicial process

unless they get deatn penalty,it wont be.

i ll decide what i need,aap apna sambhal lo kaka.
forget them .... its secular media.

The law is simple. Murderers can be hanged. Repeat offenders can be hanged. Which of the two categories does this case falls in?

Back
Top Bottom