What's new

3D printed houses seen in China's Suzhou

yusheng

Reaction score
3dd85d5bg9e40024d75ed&690.jpg

A villa built by 3D printing technology is seen in Suzhou industrial park of east China's Jiangsu province, Jan 18, 2015. By using the technology, the stand-along villa and a six-story full-sized building have been printed out here recently. The walls of these houses were created by giant 3D printers which adding successive layers of material to form the shape. And the material is made from construction wastes. (Xinhua/Pei Xin)

11.jpg

A visitor stands in a semi-finished apartment built by 3D printing technology in Suzhou industrial park of east China's Jiangsu province, Jan 18, 2015. By using the technology, a stand-along villa and a six-story full-sized building have been printed out here recently. The walls of these houses were created by giant 3D printers which adding successive layers of material to form the shape. And the material is made from construction wastes. (Xinhua/Pei Xin)

22.jpg

A visitor walks in the villa built by 3D printing technology in Suzhou industrial park of east China's Jiangsu province, Jan 18, 2015. By using the technology, a stand-along villa and a six-story full-sized building have been printed out here recently. The walls of these houses were created by giant 3D printers which adding successive layers of material to form the shape. And the material is made from construction wastes. (Xinhua/Pei Xin)

33.jpg

A visitor stands in a semi-finished apartment built by 3D printing technology in Suzhou industrial park of east China's Jiangsu province, Jan 18, 2015. By using the technology, a stand-along villa and a six-story full-sized building have been printed out here recently. The walls of these houses were created by giant 3D printers which adding successive layers of material to form the shape. And the material is made from construction wastes. (Xinhua/Pei Xin)

This means once the house is built, there will be no room (pun intended) for modifications.

Yes, that is what most ppl call "user friendly", just as Apple isn't very modifiable.
In my house, which was built the old fashioned way in 1999, I can remove an entire wall and expand a room. In fact, an entire industry exists for this purpose: Home improvements.

Cell phones are not the same as houses, but FYI...

Google's Betting That Custom Skins Will Make Its Modular Phone Sexy | WIRED
From the beginning, the promise of Project Ara has been a new kind of phone: a modular one that can be upgraded or fixed in piecemeal, so that a cracked screen doesn’t force anyone into buying an entirely new phone. You just get a new screen (or upgraded camera, or battery, and so on) and snap that new tile into a skeleton frame, where electro-permanent magnets hold it in place. Now, in a video from the conference, it looks like Spiral 2 won’t just let you tune up the camera tile, it’ll let you put a picture of your dog’s face on the back of it, too. It’s infinite personalization.
For a house built with 3D printed structures, how can you replace a wall if that wall became structurally unsound for any reason, such as your son slammed his toy car into the wall or there was a grease fire that damaged the wall ? The builder probably designed the house so that you can remove the wall but to replace it with what ? There are still unanswered questions.

Am not saying this is bad or even flawed. Am just saying there are inevitable compromises.

For a house built with 3D printed structures, how can you replace a wall if that wall became structurally unsound for any reason, such as your son slammed his toy car into the wall or there was a grease fire that damaged the wall ?

Son slamming a toy car makes the wall structurally unsound ? :o:

What kind of a toy car does your little one drive ? :unsure:

Or are walls over there in the States not made from bricks and layers of cement anymore ? :undecided:

In my house, which was built the old fashioned way in 1999, I can remove an entire wall and expand a room. In fact, an entire industry exists for this purpose: Home improvements.

Cell phones are not the same as houses, but FYI...

Google's Betting That Custom Skins Will Make Its Modular Phone Sexy | WIRED

For a house built with 3D printed structures, how can you replace a wall if that wall became structurally unsound for any reason, such as your son slammed his toy car into the wall or there was a grease fire that damaged the wall ? The builder probably designed the house so that you can remove the wall but to replace it with what ? There are still unanswered questions.

Am not saying this is bad or even flawed. Am just saying there are inevitable compromises.

I suspect that the entire house is not 3-D printed but the components are. Thus they'd just be like any other modular construction.

Also, there's never credit where credit is due. ZTE Eco-Mobius modular concept phone Preview - CNET

Son slamming a toy car makes the wall structurally unsound ? :o:

What kind of a toy car does your little one drive ? :unsure:

Or are walls over there in the States not made from bricks and layers of cement anymore ? :undecided:
Power Wheels® HOT WHEELS™ Kawasaki KFX® - Shop Power Wheels Ride On Cars & Trucks | Fisher-Price

My nephew and niece can do wheelies inside and outside the house. Get hit by one and you can break a leg.

Yeah...I spoil them. That is an uncle's sacred duty.

Walls for US homes are generally made of drywall.

Drywall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At one time, Chinese sourced drywall ruined a lot of American homes.

Chinese drywall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Active children can do serious damages to drywall.

Bricks and wood are expensive in the US. Older houses from the previous generation are made of bricks and wood and they do last, as in over one hundred yrs. But they are terribly energy inefficient. The heating/cooling cost for such a house can double a house built today.

My house is called 'brick over frame' construction.

Brick Houses – Solid Masonry vs. Brick Veneer

China amazes me , they are like ants , never at rest .

View attachment 184805
A villa built by 3D printing technology is seen in Suzhou industrial park of east China's Jiangsu province, Jan 18, 2015. By using the technology, the stand-along villa and a six-story full-sized building have been printed out here recently. The walls of these houses were created by giant 3D printers which adding successive layers of material to form the shape. And the material is made from construction wastes. (Xinhua/Pei Xin)

View attachment 184806

View attachment 184807
A visitor walks in the villa built by 3D printing technology in Suzhou industrial park of east China's Jiangsu province, Jan 18, 2015. By using the technology, a stand-along villa and a six-story full-sized building have been printed out here recently. The walls of these houses were created by giant 3D printers which adding successive layers of material to form the shape. And the material is made from construction wastes. (Xinhua/Pei Xin)

View attachment 184804

How to finish it into liveable status ?

"And the material is made from construction wastes."

The house when old can be recycled again for another 3-D production.
Great job China
46.gif

3D打印房子看上去很美而已,房子的强度很难保证,中国是地震多发国,这样的房子我真不敢住。
未来建筑应该是工厂化生产,到工地组装,这个技术远大集团做的很不错。

My nephew and niece can do wheelies

niece doing wheelies, like in motorcycle wheelies??

forgive me, but that is not a lady-like attribute... like of females going to gyms and looking thin and all that.

-----------------

by the way, does the 3-d printing include metal rods to hold the walls??

Power Wheels® HOT WHEELS™ Kawasaki KFX® - Shop Power Wheels Ride On Cars & Trucks | Fisher-Price

My nephew and niece can do wheelies inside and outside the house. Get hit by one and you can break a leg.

Yeah...I spoil them. That is an uncle's sacred duty.

Walls for US homes are generally made of drywall.

Drywall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At one time, Chinese sourced drywall ruined a lot of American homes.

Chinese drywall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Active children can do serious damages to drywall.

Bricks and wood are expensive in the US. Older houses from the previous generation are made of bricks and wood and they do last, as in over one hundred yrs. But they are terribly energy inefficient. The heating/cooling cost for such a house can double a house built today.

My house is called 'brick over frame' construction.

Brick Houses – Solid Masonry vs. Brick Veneer
I always wondered how Americans can afford such huge houses till i found out how they build it. :D

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom