What's new

232 important people

Reaction score
Who Owns the Media?

Massive corporations dominate the U.S. media landscape. Through a history of mergers and acquisitions, these companies have concentrated their control over what Americans see, hear and read. Only 6 media giants control over 90% of what Americans read, watch or listen to on the media:

media-con2 by ArgusPanoptes007, on Flickr

Interesting to see General Electric also in that picture.

Interesting to see General Electric also in that picture.

General Electric is a huge conglomerate with fingers in just about everything:

General Electric - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

General Electric, or GE, is an American multinational conglomerate corporation incorporated in Schenectady, New York and headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut, United States.[1][3] The company operates through four segments: Energy, Technology Infrastructure, Capital Finance and Consumer & Industrial.[4][5]

In 2011, GE ranked among the Fortune 500 as the 6th-largest firm in the U.S. by gross revenue,[6] as well as the 14th most profitable.[7] However, the company is currently listed the 3rd-largest in the world among the Forbes Global 2000, further metrics being taken into account.[8] Other rankings for 2011/2012 include No. 7 company for leaders (Fortune), No. 5 best global brand (Interbrand), No. 63 green company (Newsweek), No. 15 most admired company (Fortune), and No. 19 most innovative company (Fast Company).[9]

Who Owns the Media?

Massive corporations dominate the U.S. media landscape. Through a history of mergers and acquisitions, these companies have concentrated their control over what Americans see, hear and read. Only 6 media giants control over 90% of what Americans read, watch or listen to on the media:

media-con2 by ArgusPanoptes007, on Flickr

Don't think GE is in that list anymore, as me thinks that they have diluted their stake in NBC heavily or completely, as a part of rebuilding their balance sheet, which was demolished by GE Capital's bets in 2003-2006 period. If I am not mistaken, the dilution was completed around Q3/Q4 last CY. Not sure though...

Don't think GE is in that list anymore, as me thinks that they have diluted their stake in NBC heavily or completely, as a part of rebuilding their balance sheet, which was demolished by GE Capital's bets in 2003-2006 period. If I am not mistaken, the dilution was completed around Q3/Q4 last CY. Not sure though...

NBCUniversal is now a joint operation by Comcast (51%) and GE (49%).

Back
Top Bottom