What's new

2000 MW electricity to be added to national grid next month, NA told

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The National Assembly was informed during questions hours on Monday that efforts are being made to reduce loads shedding in the country and 2000 MW of electricity would be added to the national grid by next month.

The Minister of State for Water and Power Abid Sher Ali told the House that government has initiated various projects including Thermal, Hydle, Coal, Wind, Solar and Bagasse to overcome electricity shortfall in the country.

Abid Sher Ali told the House that total demand of electricity of Balochistan is 1730 mw.

He said recently two mega projects of Dadu-Khuzdar and DG Khan-Loralai of 220 KV each have been commissioned and work is underway on two more such projects. He said with the completion of these projects electricity will be available in all parts of the province.

Minister of State for Religious Affairs and Inter-Faith Harmony Pir Aminul Hasnat told the House that government was taking solid steps for address the issues concerning the reforms and regulations of Madaris in the country.

He said that work is underway to bring reforms in the curriculum of the Madaris with the consensus of representatives of Wafaqul Madaris.

Parliamentary Secretary for National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination Dr. Darshan told the House that the Prime Minister has approved a summary worth 9.1 billion rupees for Prime Minister's National Health Insurance Programme and the scheme will be launched soon.

He said under the scheme population below poverty line will be covered in phased manner all over the country. The Provincial governments will provide premiums for secondary health care for hospital admissions.

Replying to a question, Minister for Water and Power Khawaja Muhammad Asif informed the House that a number of steps have been taken for uninterrupted supply of electricity in the coming summer season. He said the government has taken strict steps to stop the electricity theft and those areas have been de-electrified where the practice of theft was underway. He said those miscreants who attacked the installations of WAPDA will not be spared at any cost.

Speaking on a point of order, members of the House strongly condemned the terrorists attack on two Churches in Lahore yesterday and expressed complete solidarity with the victim families.

They said that those involved in the attacks are the enemy of the country and they wanted to create unrest through such cowardly acts. They said the whole nation is united in the war against terrorism and together we will defeat our common enemy.

The speakers said that the minorities of the country are equal citizens in all respects and the attack on the Churches was attack on the Pakistan.

The members paid tributes to police personnel who sacrificed their lives while protecting the Churches. They said that the sacrifices have saved us from a bigger loss.

The members also condemned the act of burning of two persons alive during the protest in Lahore.

Five bills were introduced in the House today (Monday).

These include "The Criminal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2015", "The Cost and Management Accountants (Amendment) Bill, 2015", "The Hindu Marriage Bill, 2015", "The Banks (Nationalization) (Amendment) Bill, 2015" and "The Capital University of Science and Technology Bill, 2015".

The chair referred the bills to the concerned committees of the House.

Radio Pakistan

is it from new plants or existing plants are brought to life?

Anyone knows what is our current production? I read somewhere it was 14gw and our capacity is 21gw, while 17-19gw is our demand.

Anyone knows what is our current production? I read somewhere it was 14gw and our capacity is 21gw, while 17-19gw is our demand.

current installed capacity around 27000 (was around 23,000 in 2006)
practical capacity due to inefficiency 20,000
peak production 16000 MW achieved last summer
peak demand summer 20,000-21000 MW
typical summer demand 17-18,000 mw
typical winter demand 12000-13000 mw
typical winter production 8000-9000 mw
total units produced 94 billion (2013)
hydro component 36 billion units

will this be from current or new sources?
well no idea, i dont remember any major plants to be added other than a few small hydro , so most likely they mean starting up closed plants

current installed capacity around 27000 (was around 23,000 in 2006)
practical capacity due to inefficiency 20,000
peak production 16000 MW achieved last summer
peak demand summer 20,000-21000 MW
typical summer demand 17-18,000 mw
typical winter demand 12000-13000 mw
typical winter production 8000-9000 mw
total units produced 94 billion (2013)
hydro component 36 billion units

well no idea, i dont remember any major plants to be added other than a few small hydro , so most likely they mean starting up closed plants
I read somewhere that with lng some plants will be using gas to produce electricity. Are these plants converted from oil or new plants?

They'll be using lng starting next month.

I read somewhere that with lng some plants will be using gas to produce electricity. Are these plants converted from oil or new plants?

They'll be using lng starting next month.
all old oil/gas plants that are idle due to lack of gas while oil being too expensive

we already have surplus capacity in reality!

the govt plane was coal but luckly LNG price went 70% down

all old oil/gas plants that are idle due to lack of gas while oil being too expensive

we already have surplus capacity in reality!

the govt plane was coal but luckly LNG price went 70% down
so why do i read news about nawaz inaugrating plants? :S

And i read that oil plants are being switched over to gas.

You are reading about the inaugurations because whoever tells you that you have surplus energy is silly and out of touch with reality. I once visited Tarbela and stayed at the state guest rooms built by the German construction workers, right above one of the water lakes of Tarbela filled with moving water due to underground turbines running about quarter mile away. And that entire project wasn't built on time either. Still there are phases and extensions being worked upon, which should've finished in the late 70's, early 80's. The point behind this explanation, is that I know your energy crises too well.

You are running an oil based energy production system, which, due to the 15 year deal NS and his team cut for LNG, is practical to use now as the prices are over 50% cheaper. But, in a real market, both LNG and Oil are too expensive. The current government took advantage of the low LNG prices for Pakistan.

But Pakistan's one of the most critical need is to store water and produce electricity off it. That is the cheapest way and it's the most critical as India has control over the Pakistani water. That's why there are dams being built, which will also produce energy too. It is very, very strategic for Pakistan to store large amounts of water and spread agriculture, tourism through parks and recreation areas, and produce cheap electricity with the stored water.

Your population is growing and with a growing economy, you'll need 20-30% more electricity before Gawader and the economic corridor can go live. The current government is the first one who's ever looked at Pakistani energy needs till 2040, and is building projects to address the growing need. By the end of the current 5 year term, you'll be expanding your energy production infrastructure by 60% (so what was built in 70 years of your country's life, is being supplemented by 60% of that 100% in 5 years), that's a huge deal and a lot of work.

Energy availability will help grow businesses and the economy, and will allow people to live better without paying too much as oil based systems would be replaced by cheaper LNG systems, alternative energy production like the Wind and Solar and of course, the Hydro.

what plants..he did inaugurated construction of some coal plants construction and some nuke plants completed recently but thats it it. nothing has really happened in last 2 years other than nandipur plant

good point is that even an idiotic govt can solve power crisis now, unlike PPPP who were confused what to do? as gas was expensive and coal they were not allowing to import rather stressing for thar.

now gas is cheap enough to be viable solution. thats why even nawaz govt has back tracked all the so called coal pants. plus govt is lucky that whole LNG plant has been build by private sector

Megawatts (mw) I don't know if by gw you mean (gigawatts)?

As far as I know the installed capacity is around 20K+ mw, but to run at full capacity the maintenance cost is too high and cannot transfer the incremental cost burden to consumer (people are already complaining). Old worn out plants, is the main reason for high maintenance cost. Then there are line losses which none of the government ever tries to fix.

One cable line running from elder Mian Saheb's behind and another from younger Mian Saheb's behind, each carrying 1000MW each.

"Loha dhhondney nikley they, sona mil gaya...", liar morons.

Will they produce electricity from their a$$e$?. Theseare all lies & bull sh!t from corrupt politicians & assembly full of jokers.

Lets see
Saif Power currently being run on HSD will be adding about 220MV , if runs on LNG
Nandi Pur currently being run sparingly on HSD will be adding 450MV if runs on LNG.
Hallmore Power plant, if operated on LNG, will add upto 209 MV
Makes up around 1000MV
However, these power plants are expected to directly feed their respective descos ,rather than National grid, to reduce line losses.

I think you people should think abt investing in Wind power along with Thermal.
wind is clean and not that much expensive per megawatt than thermal
in coastal areas of Sindh and Baluchistan, Wind power can be a viable source.
In fact India plans to add 100000 MW of wind power till 2030.

Indian investment in green energy has led to Companies like Suzlon becoming world leaders in wind power.

You guys can ask China for help in setting up plants to manufacture wind turbines .

Indian investment in green energy has led to Companies like Suzlon becoming world leaders in wind power.

You guys can ask China for help in setting up plants to manufacture wind turbines .
Wind corridors are not present in every geographic location. However, there are projects (both underway as well as operational) for wind energy harness for power generation. Like the one is operational in Jhempir Sindh with around 50MV capacity.Two more ,one private (Fauji Foundation), one by Chinese are underway in Jhempir . Plus one is under consideration in Kalar Kahar by Chinese with similar generation capacity. so around ~50MV is being produced while ~200MV is in pipleline.

One cable line running from elder Mian Saheb's behind and another from younger Mian Saheb's behind, each carrying 1000MW each.

"Loha dhhondney nikley they, sona mil gaya...", liar morons.
How about setting up turbines on both you behind and your mouth to harness your farting power for electricity generation? A potential of good 1-2MV is there to be harnessed :P

Wind will still be more expensive that the Hydro. Pakistan's one of the most critical needs is to store a lot of water, then use it for Hydro power generation. This is the cheapest form of electricity also. Kills two birds with one stone. Remember, India has started to divert the water coming out of Kashmir to Rajhistan and to other places. Pakistan must ave six or more months of water to survive on, in case a water conflict arises, which it will at some point. So you want enought stored to go through the crises, till big guys get involved and force a solution on both countries. Producing cheapest electricity from this saved water is just icing on the cake.

Back
Top Bottom