What's new

2 LCS (Littoral Combat Ship) launched from shipyard

xhw1986

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Austal+Launches+Montgomery+-+LCS+8.jpg

Last time I heard Malaysians and Saudis were interested in getting these ships

Saudi Arabia and Israel have both expressed an interest in a modified version of the Freedom variant, the LCS-I,[137] butDefense News has reported that Israel has dropped out of this project in favor of a new frigate design to be built in Israel.

The Republic of China Navy (Taiwan) has also shown interest in procuring U.S. littoral combat ships, to replace aging Knox-class frigates.[138]

The Royal Malaysian Navy is purchasing ships of similar displacement that they call littoral combat ships, but their use of the term has been disputed. See Second Generation Patrol Vessel. [139]

The Indonesian Navy was reportedly interested in either purchase or construction of littoral combat ships to protect Indonesia's wide ocean territory. Early images indicate a trimaran design much like the Independence variant ships (LCS-2).

Japan will design its own version of the Independence class.
@Mosamania @Yzd Khalifa @Indos @MarveL @al-Hasani and is there any Malaysian Member

I don't like these ships.
under gunned and over priced.

North Sea Boats Indonesia (PT. Lundin) and SAAB Working on an Improved 63m FMPV Trimaran
22 April 2014

d61a6-pt_lundin_northseaboats_63m_fmpv_trimaran_dsa_2014_news_1.jpg

At DSA 2014, the 14th Defence Services Asia Exhibition and Conference currently held in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Indonesian shipyard North Sea Boats (PT. Lundin) and Saab are showing an updated model of the 63m FMPV Trimaran design ordered by the Indonesian navy.

At DSA 2014, the 14th Defence Services Asia Exhibition and Conference currently held in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Indonesian shipyard North Sea Boats (PT. Lundin) and SAAB are showing an updated model of the 63m FMPV Trimaran design ordered by the Indonesian Navy.The new design of North Sea Boat’s 63m FMPV Trimaran as shown on SAAB booth during DSA 2014.

ae9e4-pt_lundin_northseaboats_63m_fmpv_trimaran_dsa_2014_news_2.jpg

This could be the first export case for the new BAE Systems Bofors 40Mk4 naval gun system (photo : Navy Recognition)

Talking to Navy Recognition during DSA 2014, a SAAB representative explained that the Swedish company is planning to fit its new Sea Giraffe 1X 3D radar higher up in the mast for better radar coverage and less limitation because of the curvature of the Earth. This is possible because the new radar is only 150 kilograms. This explains the quite unique shape of the newly designed mast onboard the FMPV (Fast Missile Patrol Vessel) Trimaran. The mast would integrate the radar, the ESM and the communication systems.

Following the accidental destruction of the first-of-class ship KRI Klewang shortly after its launch in 2012, SAAB and North Sea Boats have now signed a partnership for the project. SAAB is planning to offer this turnkey solution to both TNI AL (Indonesian Navy) and for export under the name “Stealth FAC” (Stealth Fast Attack Craft).

f09b9-pt_lundin_northseaboats_63m_fmpv_trimaran_dsa_2014_news_3.jpg

The lighter Sea Giraffe 1X 3D radar allowed naval architects to design a higher mast to improve radar performance. (photo : Navy Recognition)

At DSA 2014, the 14th Defence Services Asia Exhibition and Conference currently held in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Indonesian shipyard North Sea Boats (PT. Lundin) and Saab are showing an updated model of the 63m FMPV Trimaran design ordered by the Indonesian navy.

According to the SAAB representative, the new FMPV Trimaran would be fitted with
- 4x RBS15 Mk3 anti-ship missiles
- 1x BAE Systems 40Mk4 gun under a stealth cupola
- A stern ramp to deploy a 12 meters RIB
- SAAB’s 9LV combat management system
- SAAB’s Ceros 200 radar and optronic tracking system
- SAAB’s TactiCall Integrated Communications System

North Sea Boats (PT. Lundin) and SAAB working on an improved 63m FMPV Trimaran

Last edited:
I don't like these ships.
under gunned and over priced.

At the moment and in the current configuration, as a vessel that can operate in blue and white water settings seamlessly it has much potential, as it is prospective plans to tailor make munitions for said ship are being thought up, like the JABM.

The US Navy -- Fact File: Littoral Combat Ship Class - LCS

LCS is a fast, agile, focused-mission platform designed for operation in near-shore environments yet capable of open-ocean operation. It is designed to defeat asymmetric "anti-access" threats such as mines, quiet diesel submarines and fast surface craft.

what are you implying? that it's capable in those roles??

it can de-mine sure
it can probably be a good hunter of subs with it's sonar and the helicopter it carries
but the fast surface craft role which was the biggest selling point of LCS is now in jepoardy
LCS was to be armed with the XM501 Non-Line-of-Sight Launch System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NLOS-LS range is 40KM
now the LCS is to be armed with Hellfire II Longbow version which has a range of <8KM
so now it has a shorter engage window with a smaller warhead.

there might be a chance the LCS get's the NSM which will give it more teeth, but that type of missile is meant to attack larger vessels.

LCS is just a mess IMO. better options out there.

Last edited:
North Sea Boats Indonesia (PT. Lundin) and SAAB Working on an Improved 63m FMPV Trimaran
22 April 2014

d61a6-pt_lundin_northseaboats_63m_fmpv_trimaran_dsa_2014_news_1.jpg

At DSA 2014, the 14th Defence Services Asia Exhibition and Conference currently held in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Indonesian shipyard North Sea Boats (PT. Lundin) and SAAB are showing an updated model of the 63m FMPV Trimaran design ordered by the Indonesian Navy.The new design of North Sea Boat’s 63m FMPV Trimaran as shown on SAAB booth during DSA 2014.

ae9e4-pt_lundin_northseaboats_63m_fmpv_trimaran_dsa_2014_news_2.jpg

This could be the first export case for the new BAE Systems Bofors 40Mk4 naval gun system (photo : Navy Recognition)

Talking to Navy Recognition during DSA 2014, a SAAB representative explained that the Swedish company is planning to fit its new Sea Giraffe 1X 3D radar higher up in the mast for better radar coverage and less limitation because of the curvature of the Earth. This is possible because the new radar is only 150 kilograms. This explains the quite unique shape of the newly designed mast onboard the FMPV (Fast Missile Patrol Vessel) Trimaran. The mast would integrate the radar, the ESM and the communication systems.

Following the accidental destruction of the first-of-class ship KRI Klewang shortly after its launch in 2012, SAAB and North Sea Boats have now signed a partnership for the project. SAAB is planning to offer this turnkey solution to both TNI AL (Indonesian Navy) and for export under the name “Stealth FAC” (Stealth Fast Attack Craft).

f09b9-pt_lundin_northseaboats_63m_fmpv_trimaran_dsa_2014_news_3.jpg

The lighter Sea Giraffe 1X 3D radar allowed naval architects to design a higher mast to improve radar performance. (photo : Navy Recognition)

According to the SAAB representative, the new FMPV Trimaran would be fitted with
- 4x RBS15 Mk3 anti-ship missiles
- 1x BAE Systems 40Mk4 gun under a stealth cupola
- A stern ramp to deploy a 12 meters RIB
- SAAB’s 9LV combat management system
- SAAB’s Ceros 200 radar and optronic tracking system
- SAAB’s TactiCall Integrated Communications System

North Sea Boats (PT. Lundin) and SAAB working on an improved 63m FMPV Trimaran

remove the RBS MK.3 and give it 8 NSM instead and 1 SeaRAM and that's a pretty bad *** ship.

Looks great to me,what's the problem

it looks great to me as well, but now since it's to be armed with Hellfire II instead of the longer range NLOS-LS makes it a lame duck now.

Iran will smoke these ships in the Straight Hormuz.

a C-802 would kill a LCS in one hit

Syrian+Navy+is+the+smallest+of+the+Syrian+Armed+Forces+missile+boats+antiship+missile+(Yingji-82+or+YJ-82+CSS-N-8+Saccade+fired+tested+fired+(1).jpg

it can de-mine sure
it can probably be a good hunter of subs with it's sonar and the helicopter it carries
but the fast surface craft role which was the biggest selling point of LCS is now in jepoardy
LCS was to be armed with the XM501 Non-Line-of-Sight Launch System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NLOS-LS range is 40KM
now the LCS is to be armed with Hellfire II Longbow version which has a range of <8KM

there might be a chance the LCS get's the NSM which will give it more teeth, but that type of missile is meant to attack larger vessels.

If you are suggesting LCS isn't going to work against Iranian Swarming Tactics - which might have been the original idea, then I have to agree. I do not believe any defense has been innovated so far against Warming Tactics. It's other usages look okay.

If you are suggesting LCS isn't going to work against Iranian Swarming Tactics - which might have been the original idea, then I have to agree. I do not believe any defense has been innovated so far against Warming Tactics. It's other usages look okay.
What I don't like is it doesn't have much Weapons on it

it can de-mine sure
NLOS-LS range is 40KM

Also trimaran/catamaran or any other advanced ships still unliked by Naval architects to use them actively as combatants due to their very low survavibility against hits . And monohulls are like the only son of them, while catamaran is step son :D
This is the way role of Indepence much more different than a combatant ship .

Independence class was received so many critizes by experts , even by annual congress held in USA . it sounds to be "modular" but there are news coming from somewhere about, even navy isnt satisfied about installing of modules.
It takes a long time for the ship to get on shore and leave, needs tug assistance eventhough equipped with detachable bow thruster. Also its claimed to consume less fuel than freedoom ; yet its found out Independence costs more than Freedoom in means of maintenance and production costs.

also , my idea; i would go for Freedoom ,more than Independence. And Monohull will be best option until someone invented flying ships :D

OPVs are best option so far, to handle a swarming tactic on sea.

the previous version of lundin's trimaran.

2a5dmkm.jpg

7893789140_32420d9c2c_k.jpg

Trimaran+X3K.jpg

wow o_O Such a valuable ship launched by some air filled balloons and Towed by hand gripped small boats ???

i expected a railed truck launching or carried by lifters to shore for equipping.

Last edited:
remove the RBS MK.3 and give it 8 NSM instead and 1 SeaRAM and that's a pretty bad *** ship.

it looks great to me as well, but now since it's to be armed with Hellfire II instead of the longer range NLOS-LS makes it a lame duck now.

Iran will smoke these ships in the Straight Hormuz.

a C-802 would kill a LCS in one hit

Syrian+Navy+is+the+smallest+of+the+Syrian+Armed+Forces+missile+boats+antiship+missile+(Yingji-82+or+YJ-82+CSS-N-8+Saccade+fired+tested+fired+(1).jpg

No worries you are good with this Defense stuff & will most probably solve them.If it makes you feel any better many ships have been launched without crucial components like Britians Daring class ships were launched without Air defense weapons

These will be great ships once they get the proper firepower aboard. Fortunately, that is being looked at now by several companies.

Back
Top Bottom