What's new

$2 billion rice export at stake

KRAIT

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s failure to block Indian proposal of subsidised production of crops has rankled the farming community in Pakistan.

The country’s rice producers, struggling to fetch a fair price, were particularly upset as WTO deal in Bali has put export of $2 billion worth of rice at stake.

Choudhry Hamid Malhi, President, Basmati Growers Association, was critical of the government attitude which he claimed did not do enough to defend the commercial interests of the farming community of the country.

Mr Malhi attended the Bali meeting and monitored developments closely in the ministerial meeting.

“The current government, led by industrialist leader failed to demonstrate sensitivity to the problems being faced by growers. The representation of the country was weak as Pakistan’s delegation was led by country’s permanent representative at WTO in place of the commerce minister,” he said.

“It paved way for India to push through and get approval to their subsidy package at the ministerial. All negotiations were left to the US delegation, which was focused on trade facilitation with little concern for Pakistani farmers interests who would lose owing to subsidised Indian production of staple crops, like rice, wheat, cereals etc,” Mr Malhi said.

He complained that Pakistan’s ambassador to WTO Geneva Shahid Bashir, was preoccupied with his chairmanship of the General Council of the WTO rather than looking after Pakistan’s interests as its ambassador.

“There was a complete disconnect between delegates from Islamabad and members of Pakistan delegation who came from Geneva,” Malhi said, pointing out that Geneva office of Permanent Trade representative did not inform the rice stakeholders when the G-33 proposal was evolved at initial stages.

Pakistan’s delegation did not even try to insert Pakistani farmers concerns in the final agreement.

Contrary to this, Cuban delegation very successfully included their concerns at the final draft of the agreement on trade facilitation, Mr Malhi said.

“About 17 rooms were booked for dignitaries from Pakistan who never arrived. I heard that the government paid for rooms in advance,” Mr Malhi said.

He said he was writing a protest letter to the prime minister.

$2 billion rice export at stake - DAWN.COM

As if even they have gone to WTO it could have stopped India ......:hitwall: disillusion at its best:alcoholic:

What do you mean? do you mean to say that as a country Pakistan should not try to protect it's interests and if it does it should be called delusional? Or is your post just meant to hurl insult on Pakistan and Pakistanis?

What do you mean? do you mean to say that as a country Pakistan should not try to protect it's interests and if it does it should be called delusional? Or is your post just meant to hurl insult on Pakistan and Pakistanis?
Not insult against Pakistan, but the Pakistani government, who took the whole issue too lightly. Pakistani representative might have been under the impression that the deal will get pushed by other countries and India would have to comply by the ruling. But that didn't happen so the failure of the Pakistani reps to put forth the concerns of their farmers is a terrible sign for the government. Specially considering some reps. didn't even arrive.

Not insult against Pakistan, but the Pakistani government, who took the whole issue too lightly. Pakistani representative might have been under the impression that the deal will get pushed by other countries and India would have to comply by the ruling. But that didn't happen so the failure of the Pakistani reps to put forth the concerns of their farmers is a terrible sign for the government. Specially considering some reps. didn't even arrive.

True and I totally agree with what you have said, I was pointing to the post where a member was saying and I quote:
"As if even they have gone to WTO it could have stopped India ......:hitwall: disillusion at its best:alcoholic"

where i have made a insult to Pakistani ?
Its a fact ......even china back out only India left alone.. Do u really think your representative could had any chance who didn't even felt to go for their own country's concerns?

where i have made a insult to Pakistani ?
Its a fact ......even china back out only India left alone.. Do u really think your representative could had any chance who didn't even felt to go for their own country's concerns

That is secondary, the point being a country no matter what the outcome, is supposed to voice it's concerns there is nothing delusional about it. So choose the right words.

That is secondary, the point being a country no matter what the outcome, is supposed to voice it's concerns there is nothing delusional about it. So choose the right words.
Pakistani delegations didn't do its job buddy. Forget about objection. Even Cuba was successful in getting its interests secured.

Pakistani delegations didn't do its job buddy. Forget about objection. Even Cuba was successful in getting its interests secured.

And that is their incompetence but as I have pointed out before I was not talking about it. Just look at the previous posts.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom