What's new

1QFY15: FDI clocks in at $169.5m, 26.5% less than previous year

farhan_9909

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan received foreign direct investment (FDI) of $169.5 million in the first quarter of 2014-15, which is 26.65% less than the FDI received during the same three-month period of the preceding fiscal year.

According to data released by the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) on Friday, FDI decreased by $61.6 million year-on-year in July-September, as it amounted to $231.1 million in the first three months of 2013-14.

Two political parties have been staging sit-ins and rallies in different cities since August to demand the resignation of the prime minister. However, analysts believe political turmoil in the last two months has not had significant bearing on the declining FDI.

36.8m.jpg

“FDI is a long-term phenomenon. It is a result of slow and sustainable process and should not be linked with political unrest in recent months,” Topline Securities analyst Zeeshan Afzal toldThe Express Tribune.

FDI remained $82.4 million in September, up 30.5% from August. FDI in 2013-14 clocked up at $1.63 billion after increasing by 11.99% on an annual basis. The increase during the last fiscal year was mainly on the back of the auction of the telecom spectrum that fetched the government $610.9 million in May.

There was a net outflow of FDI amounting to $32.7 million from the telecommunications sector in July-September. In contrast, the same sector had registered a net outflow of $58.4 million of FDI during the same period of the last fiscal year. FDI in the telecommunications sector in September amounted to a negative $11 million.

The largest increase in FDI in July-September was in the category of oil and gas exploration, which attracted $86.2 million. However, it was 17% less than the foreign investment received during the same months of the preceding fiscal year when it totalled $103.9 million.

Financial businesses attracted the second highest FDI in July-September, with net foreign investment of $36.8 million, down 9.13% from the corresponding three-month period of the preceding fiscal year.

graph-016.jpg

Other sectors of the economy that received major FDI in July-September include tobacco and cigarettes ($30.1 million), chemicals ($23 million), food ($13.4 million), trade ($10.5 million), personal services ($12.1 million), textiles ($7.8 million), power ($18.7 million) and cars ($7 million).

Sectors of the economy that experienced a considerable net outflow of FDI in the first three months of the current fiscal year were pharmaceuticals (-$47.7 million) and cement (-$6 million).

As for foreign portfolio investment (FPI), which includes foreign public investment, Pakistan attracted $141.4 million during July-September, which is 31.41% higher than the FPI worth $107.6 million received in the comparable months of 2013-14.

FPI in 2013-14 was $2.74 billion, up 21 times from $124.2 million received in the preceding fiscal year.

Countries that brought significant amounts of FDI into Pakistan in July-September include the United States ($41.5 million), Hong Kong ($43.4 million), United Kingdom ($36.6 million), France ($17.7 million), Norway ($17 million), Japan ($10.8 million), Italy ($19.8 million), Egypt ($6.9 million) and Austria ($9.2 million).

Countries that took out major investments out of Pakistan during the last three months are Qatar ($14.8 million), Saudi Arabia ($14.6 million), United Arab Emirates ($8.7 million), Singapore ($11.3 million), Malaysia ($6.6 million), China ($3.9 million), Canada ($6.2 million), Finland ($6.4 million), Luxemburg ($6.7 million) and Switzerland ($22.5 million).

Published in The Express Tribune, October 18th, 2014.

1QFY15: FDI clocks in at $169.5m, 26.5% less than previous year – The Express Tribune

============
=========================

FDI last year increased in the first 2 quarters but decreased in the last 2 otherwise i remember it being mentioned to even surpass 2Billion mark last year but after the poor FDI recieved in the last 2 quarters we ended up with 1.6Billion dollars or only 11% more than in 2012-13.

I hope it get increased in the next 3 quarters and atleast reaches beyond 2Billion this year(2014-15)

Thanks to Imran Khan.

Chinese Delegation has already met the PM number of times and said that the Chinese Premier is looking forward to his trip to Pakistan. Only if PTI and it's cohorts could actually do something for the betterment of the nation.

On a side note, I recently traveled from Karachi to Bahawalpur on N5, and was pleasantly surprised to see Chinese road construction equipment/camps along the way. They have really worked hard to upgrade our infrastructure. The parts of the highway, that i have never seen in good condition in the past 18 years, are now getting proper attention. Only if the media could show something useful rather than the old bloke Hashmi crying, Imran Khan burning his utility bills and baby bhutto and his drunk rallies.

Thanks to Imran Khan.
Chinese Delegation has already met the PM number of times and said that the Chinese Premier is looking forward to his trip to Pakistan. Only if PTI and it's cohorts could actually do something for the betterment of the nation.
On a side note, I recently traveled from Karachi to Bahawalpur on N5, and was pleasantly surprised to see Chinese road construction equipment/camps along the way. They have really worked hard to upgrade our infrastructure. The parts of the highway, that i have never seen in good condition in the past 18 years, are now getting proper attention. Only if the media could show something useful rather than the old bloke Hashmi crying, Imran Khan burning his utility bills and baby bhutto and his drunk rallies.
plz do tell who would u vote for in the next elections and talking about chinese work go take a trip through Karakorum range and u will see the real work done we would have never got it done in such conditions

plz do tell who would u vote for in the next elections and talking about chinese work go take a trip through Karakorum range and u will see the real work done we would have never got it done in such conditions

Would love to take a trip to the Karakorams. The current season is gone, will be going trekking there next season, so will let you know. But i was surprised about the N5. N5 is the most heavily trafficked highway in Pakistan. I used to live in Sukkur/Daharki area, and as such used to travel a lot from Sukkur to Karachi, during the past 24 years. I have never seen the Sukkur-Daharki portion properly constructed because of some totally ridiculous Sindhi Nationalist protests blocking the highway. N5 was always good in the Punjab region and Hyderabad-Karachi section, but this time, i was actually surprised that something is getting done. The Chinese live in camps along the highway, no security issues as such.

Who would i vote for in next elections? Well, that's a personal question. I do not know who i will vote for, but i know for sure who i will NOT vote for:
1-Imran Khan and his cohorts
2- Drunk and dead bhuttos or anyone remotely associated with them
3-JI
4-ANP
5-MQM

So depending on current government's performance in all sectors, it would be either PML-N or some independent candidate (i really hope we get some good leader)

Unfortunately, you have to choose the best from the worst scum.

Unfortunately, you have to choose the best from the worst scum.
wow pmln really hom many times has nawaz been in power and his brother and wt have they done we need to change faces

ud be surprised to see how clean and pak frm ttp and shit gilgit baltistan is best time would be around june july nxt year shandur is the best u get to meet loads of tourist and people frm different places would also suggest to visit hunza it a beautiful place

wow pmln really hom many times has nawaz been in power and his brother and wt have they done we need to change faces

ud be surprised to see how clean and pak frm ttp and shit gilgit baltistan is best time would be around june july nxt year shandur is the best u get to meet loads of tourist and people frm different places would also suggest to visit hunza it a beautiful place

People is also part of the disease inflicting Pakistan. They loot and plunder like everyone else, but at least they spend something on development. For comparison, in the past 7 years, PPP and MQM have held power in Sindh. Pakistan's biggest city, Karachi, has gone from bad to worse. Shit infrastructure. Even a small city like Multan/Faisalabad in Punjab has better infrastructure than Karachi. Lahore is a whole different level. I hate Nawaz Shariff, but his brother Shahbaz has done a decent job in Punjab. Law and Order is much better, literacy is much better, Infrastructure is better, etc.

So again, i am not following anyone, but choosing the best option from the worst. Otherwise the only option is to not vote.

People is also part of the disease inflicting Pakistan. They loot and plunder like everyone else, but at least they spend something on development. For comparison, in the past 7 years, PPP and MQM have held power in Sindh. Pakistan's biggest city, Karachi, has gone from bad to worse. Shit infrastructure. Even a small city like Multan/Faisalabad in Punjab has better infrastructure than Karachi. Lahore is a whole different level. I hate Nawaz Shariff, but his brother Shahbaz has done a decent job in Punjab. Law and Order is much better, literacy is much better, Infrastructure is better, etc.
So again, i am not following anyone, but choosing the best option from the worst. Otherwise the only option is to not vote.
have u closed ur eyes or wt every project they make seems to grow in cost due to mismanagement take metro for and islamabad airport for eg lahore is a whole different level who asked for metro and shit do u know the literacy rate in lahore it would be better to support poor right now rather than such metros nawaz is not like zardari he know how to make awam fool and prresent as a leader who is willing to do something in reality money is going right in his pocket

Back
Top Bottom