Shahzaz ud din

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
11, 000MW electricity to be added to grid by June 2018: Awais Leghari
By INP -
December 26, 2017

Power-696x339.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Power Awais Ahmed Leghari on Tuesday said that after the completion of the mega hydel-power project of Neelum Jhelum, a total of 11,000-megawatt electricity will be added to the national grid by June 2018, to address the issue of load shedding.

Speaking to a launch ceremony of Roshan Pakistan application in Islamabad, he said the government, for the first time in the country’s history, has given an excess of information to the public for maintaining transparency and provision of accurate information.

He said that the mobile application will give access to the consumers for vital information on billing and power supply situation.

He said that now after launching of the app, feeder to feeder information would be collected for maintaining transparency and accountability in the country.

He said any consumer can get the update through this application about billing, net metering and feeder wise information about the supply of electricity. It would also serve as bill calculator.

He said the app would provide information about all the ten distribution companies and any consumer can have access to it by entering his consumer number.

Replying to questions by the reporters, the minister said the power division was proud that four thousand and five hundred megawatts surplus electricity was available in the national grid.

He said in the next summer season, additional power generation would be available than its demand. Awais Leghari said the problem of overbilling would be resolved once the law on the subject passed by the Senate.

He said the law provides a punishment of three years imprisonment for overbilling and has already been passed by the National Assembly. The federal minister said that with great effort, the government has been able to bridge the demand and supply gap.

While, highlighting the main features of the mobile app, secretary power division Yousaf Nasim Khokhar said that app was bilingual to facilitate the consumers in both English and Urdu language.

I wonder whats the total power generation in Country right now? And how much is the short fall. Any idea?

I wonder whats the total power generation in Country right now? And how much is the short fall. Any idea?
upload_2017-12-26_18-16-53.png

The above graphic shows our current production, however they are not running the thermal plants due to huge cost (about 25 rupees per unit) and most hydro turbines won't be able to operate until beginning of the summer after the snow starts melting. So I would say they have about 15000 MW production capacity (excluding the plants running on furnace oil and diesel (7937 MW) as well as most of the hydro sources. During Summer getting back another 7000 MW from hydro sources would take you to 22000 MW. In January about 1200 MW will be added from the second phase of the three gas plants at Balloki, Bhikki and Havel Bahadur Shah (Jan 2018). In addition, 969 MW from Neelum Jhelum (Feb 2018), another 660 MW from Port Qasim Coal Power Plant (Feb 2018) and 1410 MW from Tarbela Dam Extension-4 (May 2018). These total to 4200 MW bringing the total capacity to about 26000 MW without running the costly furnace oil/diesel Plants. The energy requirement peaked at about 23000 MW this past summer so we would be in surplus as for as the energy generation capacity is concerned.

Long Live Pakistan!

View attachment 444981

The above graphic shows our current production, however they are not running the thermal plants due to huge cost (about 25 rupees per unit) and most hydro turbines won't be able to operate until beginning of the summer after the snow starts melting. So I would say they have about 15000 MW production capacity (excluding the plants running on furnace oil and diesel (7937 MW) as well as most of the hydro sources. During Summer getting back another 7000 MW from hydro sources would take you to 22000 MW. In January about 1200 MW will be added from the second phase of the three gas plants at Balloki, Bhikki and Havel Bahadur Shah (Jan 2018). In addition, 969 MW from Neelum Jhelum (Feb 2018), another 660 MW from Port Qasim Coal Power Plant (Feb 2018) and 1410 MW from Tarbela Dam Extension-4 (May 2018). These total to 4200 MW bringing the total capacity to about 26000 MW without running the costly furnace oil/diesel Plants. The energy requirement peaked at about 23000 MW this past summer so we would be in surplus as for as the energy generation capacity is concerned.

Long Live Pakistan!
Thank you so such an extensive answer. Good to know that Pak would be able to overcome energy crisis by mid 2018. However the capacity needs to be extended. Also I feel Pakistan needs bigger powerplants similar to BD where they produce around 5000MW electricity from single LNG based power plant.

Excellent list. I think what's different this time compared to previous times is that these projects are all under construction and there is significant visible progress on the ground. Even projects that have just started, such as Dasu have shown progress.

I can think of a couple projects that will be interesting to see in how they pan out. Tarbela dam 5th extension seems very much on the cards and it will add another 1410 MW. No construction yet as 4th extension is not yet complete but from what I see this project has everything ready to go.

The other one is bhasha dam. Progress has been very slow in trying to get funding for that, but based on what I hear I think we'll get there given how much work is being done to close out that project.

11, 000MW electricity to be added to grid by June 2018: Awais Leghari
By INP -
December 26, 2017

Power-696x339.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Power Awais Ahmed Leghari on Tuesday said that after the completion of the mega hydel-power project of Neelum Jhelum, a total of 11,000-megawatt electricity will be added to the national grid by June 2018, to address the issue of load shedding.

Speaking to a launch ceremony of Roshan Pakistan application in Islamabad, he said the government, for the first time in the country’s history, has given an excess of information to the public for maintaining transparency and provision of accurate information.

He said that the mobile application will give access to the consumers for vital information on billing and power supply situation.

He said that now after launching of the app, feeder to feeder information would be collected for maintaining transparency and accountability in the country.

He said any consumer can get the update through this application about billing, net metering and feeder wise information about the supply of electricity. It would also serve as bill calculator.

He said the app would provide information about all the ten distribution companies and any consumer can have access to it by entering his consumer number.

Replying to questions by the reporters, the minister said the power division was proud that four thousand and five hundred megawatts surplus electricity was available in the national grid.

He said in the next summer season, additional power generation would be available than its demand. Awais Leghari said the problem of overbilling would be resolved once the law on the subject passed by the Senate.

He said the law provides a punishment of three years imprisonment for overbilling and has already been passed by the National Assembly. The federal minister said that with great effort, the government has been able to bridge the demand and supply gap.

While, highlighting the main features of the mobile app, secretary power division Yousaf Nasim Khokhar said that app was bilingual to facilitate the consumers in both English and Urdu language.
Is he drinking or what? Do he even knows how much is 11,000 MWs ... Pakistan total production in winter season is below that and in summer it moves around 16,000 MW at max ... Neelum Jehlum capacity is less than 1,000 MW I don't know from where this additional 10000 MW electricity will arrive ...

Is he drinking or what? Do he even knows how much is 11,000 MWs ... Pakistan total production in winter season is below that and in summer it moves around 16,000 MW at max ... Neelum Jehlum capacity is less than 1,000 MW I don't know from where this additional 10000 MW electricity will arrive ...
Its more than that:

Anyway here is the 11,000

upload_2017-12-28_2-55-12.png

I see you are an accountant.

See how few right moves change everything in a nation's perspective.

Last edited:
Its more than that:

Anyway here is the 11,000

View attachment 445187

I see you are an accountant.

See how few right moves change everything in a nation's perspective.
Well Mr. then OP is reporting it incorrectly ... It should be mentioned that progress is from last 4 years furthermore, this is not something to be proud of as most of these projects are on heavy loans and our nation is in debt heavily ... Real measure of performance is growth rate, inflation rate, unemployment, social index, education and health ...

Unfortunately, none is favourable except for window dressing ...

Back
Top Bottom