What's new

ZDK-03 Karakoram Eagle AWACS inducted in Pakistan Air Force Squadron 4

Encouraging Development for PAF after a long time. I think this ZDK03 has something to do with JF 17 Program while for F16 SAAB EREIYE is used.
Ironically the painting depicts the KE flying in formation with F-16s.

presenting-a-painting-of-awacs-copy-jpg.196856

Some questions please..
If these are allocated to No. 4 Squadron, then which Squadron is operating Saab? And what does Re-equipment means? What was previously operated by Squadron No. 4?
Also i want to know, is this possible for Vipers to data-link with Karakoram Eagle? If they cant data-link directly, is there an indirect data sharing? Like Eagles--->C4I---->F16s
Thanks in advance
@Horus @Manticore @Dazzler @fatman17

I hope the Chinese AWACS are as good as the American AWACS. I also hope we won't let the Indians shoot one of these down.

Congratz!! But just a doubt!! How would you Data Link a Chinese Stuff with American Aircrafts?? Or is it just to Support your Fleet of JF-17's and other future Chinese Aircrafts?

Some questions please..
If these are allocated to No. 4 Squadron, then which Squadron is operating Saab? And what does Re-equipment means? What was previously operated by Squadron No. 4?
Also i want to know, is this possible for Vipers to data-link with Karakoram Eagle? If they cant data-link directly, is there an indirect data sharing? Like Eagles--->C4I---->F16s
Thanks in advance

No. 4 Squadron History: 1947-1982

In January, 1958 a maritime flight consisting of two maritime aircraft SA-16 was established as part of No. 12 Composite Squadron stationed at Mauripur. On 15th August, 1959 its strength was raised to four Bristol Freighter and four SA-16. No. 4 Squadron started functioning independently with two SA-16 and 2 H-19D aircraft. Its role was search, rescue, casualt evacuation and maritime reconnaissance; in the field of search and rescue, its performance was very successful. During the September, 1965 war, the SA-16 was given maritime role of detecting and reporting movement of any kind of ship, particularly the enemy aircraft carrier 'VIKRANT'. H-19D was called upon to help the Pakistan Army to search suspected enemy personnel around Karachi. The squadron during this period was under the command of Sqn. Ldr. M. Asfar Khan. On 19th August, 1968 the SA-16 Albatross was placed in storage, bringing to close the varied career of a worthy aircraft which had always been there to lend a helping hand in the hour of need.

PAF Falcons - PAF s' Squadrons

Some questions please..
Thanks in advance

no 13 squadron is operating saab.

Congratz!! But just a doubt!! How would you Data Link a Chinese Stuff with American Aircrafts?? Or is it just to Support your Fleet of JF-17's and other future Chinese Aircrafts?
A bit off-topic but nonetheless relevant, this aircraft was given as a prime example of ingenuity and utilisation, a Russian designed fighter, built by the Chinese, supporting Pakistani designed drop tanks, , the pilot sits on a British Martin Baker ejection seat and it fires American missiles.....once this could only happen in Pakistan.

f6landing.jpg

Last edited:

Using new fangled ideas like programming protocols. Never been done before.

Back in 2011, we were ALREADY beyond linking these aircraft together using relay stations to DIRECT links between a SAAB-2000 and a JF-17 and a ZDK and a F-16.

The two bottom left look more like JF-17/Mirage, and the ones on the bottom right as F-16s.

Anyway, why did it take so long for the 4th aircraft to be delivered?

There is no 4th aircraft yet. Look closely in pics it was 001-003 ZDK

There is no sign of 4th ZDK. Anyways, what this ceremony signify is ZDK's has become operational after 4 years of first induction. Training has been completed. Playbook has been developed in which scenarios ZDK can/will be used. Maintaining and troubleshooting ZDK has been mastered i.e Final Operational Capability achieved

I have been watching ZDKs flying from Base Faisal since many years so they are definitely operational.

American F-16's have Link 16, it's tactical communication between and only for American weapon platforms.

America isn't going to let anyone into the coding for this link, as to why Pakistan bought the ZDK AWACs.

Saab is for the F-16s and other American/ NATO platforms. I think Chinese platforms have JTIDS?

I have been watching ZDKs flying from Base Faisal since many years so they are definitely operational.

There is a a difference b/w IOC and FOC. Consider example of Eurofighter, It would achieve it's FOC this year in example, 10-11 years after its induction,

American F-16's have Link 16, it's tactical communication between and only for American weapon platforms.

America isn't going to let anyone into the coding for this link, as to why Pakistan bought the ZDK AWACs.

Saab is for the F-16s and other American/ NATO platforms. I think Chinese platforms have JTIDS?

There are hardware out there which can communicate directly with Link-16 enabled aircraft. e.g. German rohde and schwarz Software defined radios which are installed in chinese aircrafts comes with the capability of talking with Link-16. What remains for Pakistani side is to configure (write software for ) German SDR. There is already open literature about Link-16, how to communicate with it. Which protocols could work with it. So all in all. what Oscar said is pretty possible

Back
Top Bottom