What's new

Zardari to return to lead PPP campaign

Tiki Tam Tam

<b>MILITARY PROFESSIONALS</b>
Reaction score
Zardari to return to lead PPP campaign

ISLAMABAD: Former premier Benazir Bhutto’s husband, Asif Ali Zardari, is returning to Pakistan to lead the PPP’s campaign in Punjab, Daily Times has learnt. “Yes, Zardari is coming to Pakistan soon, most probably next week. He will be leading the party’s campaign in Punjab. However, the date for his return has not been finalised,” said a senior party leader. He said that since Benazir was facing security problems in running her election campaign, the party has assigned Zardari to lead all party rallies. “He will be leading rallies, while Bhutto will be addressing public gatherings,” the party leader added. Zardari would also contest NA elections from NA-213, Nawabshah, in the by-elections. staff report

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

If I am not mistaken Zardari is known in Pakistan as Mr 10%.

If that be the case, would it be for a confirmed bribe taker to lead any election campaign?

Agencies inciting defections from PPP: Benazir

* PPP chairwoman says Aitzaz should clarify whether he is with PPP or with former CJP
* Says military regimes responsible for social ills

QUETTA: Pakistan People&#8217;s Party (PPP) Chairwoman Benazir Bhutto on Sunday accused secret agencies of pressing her party leaders to change their loyalties ahead of the general elections.

Speaking at a press conference at the end of her two-day visit to Quetta, she said President Pervez Musharraf was not justified in asking political parties not to make pre-poll rigging allegations because many of her party leaders were already being approached by the secret agencies to give up their party affiliations.

Such actions, she said, amounted to pre-poll rigging which would seriously undermine the polls&#8217; credibility. &#8220;If the role of the intelligence agencies is not curtailed, it may lead to a civil war and serious political turmoil in the country,&#8221; she said.

She demanded that the role of the intelligence agencies in politics should end.

Aitzaz: She said, &#8220;PPP leader Aitzaz Ahsan should respect the party decision regarding the elections. He has to clarify whether he is loyal to the party or to the former chief justice supporting the polls boycott decision,&#8221; she questioned.

Past military governments: She held the past military governments responsible for the increasing sectarian violence, inflation and political instability in Pakistan. She also visited the house of late Nawab Akbar Bugti, and offered condolences to his son, Talal Akbar Bugti.

She warned if the ongoing military operation in Balochistan was not stopped immediately, it would compel the Baloch people to secede from the federation.

She said some former federal ministers had asked her for party tickets, NNI reported.

To a question regarding nationalist parties boycotting the polls, she said boycotting the polls in the current situation amounted to deepening the crisis. staff report/agencies
Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

All these accusation could be that she is not too sure that she will win the elections?

All these accusation could be that she is not too sure that she will win the elections?

She is corrupt - but not a fool. She knows that the popular opposition to Musharraf has been over his perceived dismantling of public institutions and "mismanagement" - things that neither BB or NS are respected for either - and that the anti-Musharraf "popular movement" was never on behalf of any of the political parties.

Almost every single Pakistani Newspaper has forecast a hung parliament in the coming elections - the "rigging" accusations are her way of deflecting the reality that the PPP is no more the "popular peoples party".

thats very good news for pakistanis all around!

it will make musharaf more popular than ever.....cause ,he is the 1 , who is responsible of all this tragdy which is going on right now????

and , thats how he is going to make pakistan the most CROUPT country of tne world.

thats very good news for pakistanis all around!

it will make musharaf more popular than ever.....cause ,he is the 1 , who is responsible of all this tragdy which is going on right now????

and , thats how he is going to make pakistan the most CROUPT country of tne world.

Please do explain how Musharaf is responsible for this "tragedy"? If Musharraf had not imposed the emergency, the SC would have likely declared him ineligible to be president - and then BB and NS would have come back in, and the PML-Q, which is barely surviving right now, would have splintered and been reabsorbed back into the PML-N and PPP in the blink of an eye.

So then you would have had a two way race being led by two of the most corrupt individuals in Pakistan's history, who would have easily garnered the two thirds majority required to overturn every sensible check on Prime Ministerial powers Musharraf has introduced, and soon we would have been preparing for the new "amir-ul-momineen" (NS already tried, and check out the powers BB wants to give the PM in her manifesto).

At least now the PML-N and PPP will have to share seats with the PML-Q, diluting their power - and some of the more "principled" and extremely popular opposition figures, such as AItazaz Ahsan etc. have refused to contest the elections, despite their "wondrous leaders" decision - and have exposed those "wondrous leaders" for the shams they are.

Please explain to me how the second scenario, without Musharraf, would have been any better?

Well this thread should be named as Mr.10&#37; to return to lead PPP campaign.

Please do explain how Musharaf is responsible for this "tragedy"? If Musharraf had not imposed the emergency, the SC would have likely declared him ineligible to be president - and then BB and NS would have come back in, and the PML-Q, which is barely surviving right now, would have splintered and been reabsorbed back into the PML-N and PPP in the blink of an eye.

So then you would have had a two way race being led by two of the most corrupt individuals in Pakistan's history, who would have easily garnered the two thirds majority required to overturn every sensible check on Prime Ministerial powers Musharraf has introduced, and soon we would have been preparing for the new "amir-ul-momineen" (NS already tried, and check out the powers BB wants to give the PM in her manifesto).

At least now the PML-N and PPP will have to share seats with the PML-Q, diluting their power - and some of the more "principled" and extremely popular opposition figures, such as AItazaz Ahsan etc. have refused to contest the elections, despite their "wondrous leaders" decision - and have exposed those "wondrous leaders" for the shams they are.

Please explain to me how the second scenario, without Musharraf, would have been any better?

AM,

If I should give a dispassionate and non partisan view.

While it is not a tragedy, the Emergency does not appear a very 'democratic' a move. This is more so since the events preceding it like the CJ's sacking, NS being shoved back to Saudi A and other such unilateral and unusual moves.

However, given the nature of Pakistan's polity this Emergency was natural and essential or else the situation would get into a tailspin with greater negative consequences. The unfortunate part is that this Emergency has been portrayed by vested interests as draconian and the slur has stuck.

It will have to be conceded that it does not appear very democratic to sack Judges who are not toeing the line. Judiciary has to be independent and this sacking and filling the Bench with amenable Judges does appear to be rather extraordinary and unusual. It also gives the impression of creating a kangaroo court. This does nothing to the image of Musharraf, who has done immensely for Pakistan.

That said, what is the option left for Pakistan?

Democracy is essential for Pakistan. Of that there is no doubt.

But then, if the option is to have acknowledged corrupt politicians alone who are the future, it is a bleak time in the future. Corruption is there in politics, but then the two who are in the fray for the PMship have excelled themselves in the field as per the general reports in the Pakistani news media. If they are the future, then it is worth a thought.

Musharraf is no angel. But then, he is head and shoulders above all to deliver Pakistan towards its destiny!

dear, mr, AGNOSTIC who is responsible for letting these two most croupt people come back to pakistan?

why , mushy cant stand against the, very idea of reconciliation , which was put in by MRS, CONDALEZA RICE?

why mushy needed to hold talks with BB, what was the trouble? cant pakistan run without these thugs?

if, BB AND NS were most croupt ones, than musharaf is the absolte croupt.

musharaf is the one who opened the door for another episode of LOOT LOO PAKISTAN.

i think i have made my point very clear.

dont, just fall in love with mushy, his days in pakistan are numbered! NOT MORE THAN 2 YEARS?

be , habbitiual for next episode of SUPER CROUPTTION , of our SUPER POLITICIANS+ SUPEREM COMMNDER of our SUPER PAKISTAN.

its now upto USA what, are their NATIONAL INTERSTS??????

Janto,

It is politics.

Essential and inevitable.

One must read between the lines!

Salim,

An excellent commentary, and I couldn't agree more. That Musharraf's actions were undemocratic there is no doubt. The question that history will have to answer is whether his actions served to better Pakistan or not, and at this point, looking at the options that awaited Pakistan had he simply gone on his way, I am willing to give him this chance - no matter how dejected the dismissal of the judiciary made me. But that could also simply be the "ever optimistic" side of me. I remember shedding tears at his overthrow of Nawas Sharif, the impact on our democratic progress evident to me even at that age, but I was soon his staunch supporter.

Hopefully that faith and support will not be dashed, but we shall wait and see.

Salim, your post is excellent, but I have to disagree with it.

I think one of the biggest problems in regards to discussions of Pakistan and it's relationship with democracy is that the people who are the most vociferous about this don't seem to put events and actions into perspective. Instead the straitjackets of this all-encompassing, near omnipotent entity of "democracy" are pulled out faster than John Wayne's six shooter and imposed forcibly upon Pakistan before a true objective analysis can be made.

What people need to understand is that Musharraf wrested power as a dictator-general and that is exactly what he was until the day he officially resigned his commission. Just because the west insisted on referring to him as "president" didn't really change anything; nor did the spate of shoddy elections he attempted to hold in his tenure so far. As dictator his word was law and it was the CJs who were technically not in compliance with the legal norm... also as the de facto leader, it was totally up to Musharraf to change the legislative branch as he saw fit. Hence, deeming selective actions of an autocrat "un-democratic" is beyond ridiculous considering that the premise of the entire argument is faulty. In fact, it is far more logically sound to refer to his acts as draconian... but certainly not "un-democratic."
But as Agnostic Muslim rightly points out, at the end of the day what matters is how his decisions affected Pakistan and it's people.

Salim said:
Democracy is essential for Pakistan. Of that there is no doubt.
How can you be so sure???? History has repeatedly contradicted this assertion. It is abundantly clear that Pakistan can exist very well without democracy.

How can you be so sure???? History has repeatedly contradicted this assertion. It is abundantly clear that Pakistan can exist very well without democracy.

Democracy gives respectability.

I wish Pakistan well.

what kind of democracy?
IMPORTED......i guss, any way , any how in any other country, can any of croupt politicians become PRIME MINISTERS ???
what, about INDIA? MR, SALIM?

crouption cant be justifiyed , in any where around the world . this isnt politics, musharsf can fire all the CJs and hang the country on uncertantity just for become WHAT HE WANTED?

he was doing fine but , i think last 6 months , he lost his mind.

I realy wana see mr, ZARDRI become , PM OF PAKISTAN:crazy:

Democracy gives respectability.
Only if it is a healthy democracy; for which the nation itself has to mature up to a certain level. Pakistan for many reasons hasn't been able to do this.

This is why IMO Pakistan must first be left alone and given the opportunity to stabilize itself without any outside pandering or interference (granted this will be very very difficult). Only after a period of stability and true upward mobility (not engineered by an outside power) can one start thinking about democracy.

By pushing the whole democracy issue on a dictator, the world has managed to do just the opposite. It has weakened Musharraf who was the first Pakistani leader in a very long time to have actually taken Pakistan on an upward trajectory... this in turn has now de-stabilized the entire nation and opened up the prospects for other politicians who are known to be parasites. Also given the torrid history between all the three figures, it is more than likely that the coming years will be spent settling old scores and exacting revenges. Unfortunately all of this is bound to be done at the cost of the Pakistani people. Meanwhile the USA will keep pumping money into Pakistan and favors will be sought from China which will only keep Pakistan at the mercy of benefactors thereby perpetuating the vicious cycle.

Back
Top Bottom