What's new

Zardari asks UN for international flood appeal

Roybot

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
KARACHI: Pakistan on Thursday asked the United Nations to issue an international appeal for humanitarian assistance for up to five million people affected by the recent monsoon rains, an official said.

“President Asif Zardari talked to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon by telephone today and requested him to issue an international appeal for assistance to the flood-affected people,” presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar told AFP. “Our foreign office is sending a formal letter to the United Nations in this regard,” Babar said.

He said Zardari visited his native Nawabshah and other flood-affected towns to review the relief work before speaking from Karachi with the UN chief.Monsoon rains in Pakistan have killed 138 people in a month and affected up to five million more, according to the National Disaster Management Authority.

Southern Sindh, a flood-prone province where authorities said more heavy rains were expected in the coming days, was the hardest-hit area, with crops and many houses destroyed. Last year, the worst floods in Pakistan’s history affected 21 million people and killed an estimated 1,750, with the south again taking the brunt of mother nature. The meteorological office has forecast more rain this week.

Zardari asks UN for international flood appeal | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

How bad is this years flood? Hardly any news in the international media.:undecided:

How bad is this years flood? Hardly any news in the international media.:undecided:
Is this is an attempt to milk the world for more funds to nourish his already bloated personal coffers....or perhaps of the military.

248049-floodsPPI-1315500432-294-640x480.jpg

Such flood is always bad but I think, and hope, this one is not a repetition of last year.

You are right, not many are reporting on flood this year which has already affected many.

I hope pakistan will get it this time.... :)

(If this is for flood affected ppl in *real*)

Did he go with tht picture of BB with him, somebody should shoot at him when he does that. In a country where the Governor of Sindh asks the US consulate to mend relationship between PPP and MQM, what do you expect?

BTW, did someone see xhis footage today? He walked with shalwar on the knees in nawabshah i think, and walked in flooded streets and hugged the civilians there. What a Bast.ard.

no Aid is needed .. this is not a disaster like previous year .. Pakistan is able to handle this crisis on its own .

but hamare sadar sahab ki aadat hai maangne ki hamesha .

Zardari is ultimate BAGHAIRAT. Asking UN to help PAkistanis but won't even get out president house to help them.

We had the same problem last year - and monsoons have been occurring forever (a really long time)- Why can't Pakistanis ever seem to get anything done without someone else kicking them up their behind to get things done? Not a failed state? OK, sure

I think Zardari will go to every country in the world asking for money.

Judging from response of members here , I think Pakistan does not need aid for these floods.

---------- Post added at 05:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 AM ----------

I think China will help them with a few billions this time .

Majority of areas got under flood attacks when influential landlords broke the barrages (bunds) to save their own lands.

He will hardly be obliged for his appeal. His reputation is well known. He might get some interest bearing loans.

I think pak should invest more in building flood Barages and Dams
Every yr millions of Cusec of water just drains into the Arabian sea , this water should be harnessed to provide relief durring Summer Draughts as well as generate electricity

I read somewhere that Indus River if Dammed properly can generate some 20000 MW of electrcity alone , enough to solve power crises in Pak for 10 yrs
It can alleivate the status of Zardari in minds of pak from a thief to a statesman , if he manages to implement these projects effectively

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom