What's new

Zaheed, first Bangladeshi to be Google director

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Zaheed, first Bangladeshi to be Google director
Reaz Haider
  • Published at 05:54 pm May 4th, 2019
https://www.dhakatribune.com/featur...aheed-first-bangladeshi-to-be-google-director
web-zaheed-1556971049382.jpg

File photo of Zaheed Sabur Collected

He is currently working at Google’s Zurich office as the principal engineer

Zaheed Sabur has become the first Bangladeshi to be a director at world’s leading technology company Google.

Zaheed started his career as a software engineer at the Google's backend system development project in 2007 at India’s Bangalore office, and six months later in the California office.

On Thursday (May 2) he was promoted as the Director and the number one code generator of the tech giant.

He is currently working at Google’s Zurich office as the principal engineer.

Sixteen years and some months ago he sat through his orientation class at American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB) in pursuit of becoming an engineer. He has completed his graduation from the university with CGPA 4, making a record in the university’s history.

“Context is equally important in life. From where I started, then a least developed country, with nothing but desire to work hard, having never cheated or harmed a soul, having never taken a dime from my parents since my 2nd semester at AIUB (maintained full scholarship throughout), having never benefited from any family connections or taken any shortcuts in life - putting all that into context, it’s beyond my wildest imagination where I’ve reached in my mid-30s. The destination I’ve reached is certainly very special but it’s the journey that led me here is what I’m most proud of, and grateful for” he wrote on his Facebook wall.

“All special people in my life, and most of all, the Almighty, thank you from the bottom of my heart — I couldn’t have done it without all your blessings,” Zaheed added.

Being a Patuakhali native, Zaheed was born in Saudi Arabia where his father used to teach at King Faisal University. At the age of eight, he along with his family returned home and he took admission at Manipur High School. Later he went to Oxford International School.

Lol. More like Bangali Saudi Arabian becomes first Director in Google.

Slowly i see more and more bangladeshis becoming successful in the corporate world. It pays to be secular and focus on self development.

He came to Bangladesh at age 8. Graduated from Bangladeshi university AIUB. Completed school level at Manipur High School and Oxford International School. How he has become Saudi Bengali?
Most likely his dad was working in SA

Slowly i see more and more bangladeshis becoming successful in the corporate world. It pays to be secular and focus on self development.

Most likely his dad was working in SA

Yes at King Faisal University

Career levels at Google:

• L1: really really basic level.
  • L2: entry level. This level only exists in non-Tech.
For the rest, the Tech levels are as below:

• T3: Tech’s entry level, also known as Software Engineer II.
    • Yeah don’t be surprised why SWE II is T3 - just historic reason I guess, and it’s too hard to fix.
    • Fresh BS / MS without any industry experience is normally hired at T3.
  • T4: Also known as Software Engineer III
    • When T3 become independent, and get good projects done, they are promoted to T4.
    • Fresh PhD without any industry experience is normally hired at T4.
  • T5, also known as Senior Software Engineer.
    • When T4 demonstrates leadership to lead a small team, and ability to design complex system, they are promoted to T5.
  • T6, also known as Staff Software Engineer.
    • When T5 demonstrates leadership to lead a large team, and ability to design really complex system, they are promoted to T6.
  • T7, also known as Senior Staff Software Engineer.
    • When T6 demonstrates even strong leadership to lead one really large team, or multiple large teams, and ability to design significant system, they are promoted to T7.
  • T8, also known as Principal Software Engineer.
    • This is Director level of scope, but requires technical depth.
  • T9, also known as Distinguished Software Engineer.
    • This is Senior Director level of scope, but requires technical depth.
  • T10, also known as Google Fellow.
    • This is VP level of scope.
  • T11, also known as Google Senior Fellow.
    • This is SVP level of scope.
    • This is Jeff Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat level.
    • Btw, there’s a common rumor that Jeff Dean is the only Google Senior Fellow. That’s not true, Jeff and Sanjay were always the same level for many years. They were promoted to Google Fellow together, and they were promoted to Google Senior Fellow together. It just happens that Jeff is a lot more externally known, and Sanjay rarely shows publicly. They both get the same level of respect from the rest of the company.
This ladder is known as Technical Ladder. Promotion on this ladder is measured by technical complexity and project depth (along with impact and leadership, of course).

Now to make the landscape complicated (which is what Google Engineering likes to do), there is a parallel Eng Management Ladder.

• T5, also known as Eng Manager I.
  • T6, also known as Eng Manager II.
  • T7, also known as Eng Manager III.
  • T8, also known as Eng Director.
  • T9, also known as Senior Eng Director.
  • T10, also known as Eng VP.
https://www.quora.com/What-are-all-the-job-levels-in-Googles-technical-career-track

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom