What's new

Yom Kippur War 1973: Why did Syria fail to take the Golan Heights?

for example using water in the bar liv line came from a young officer
i believe syria has done well in this war and manage to inflict good number of losses to isreal

He was an engineer that participated in building the high dam , he told Sadat and others, i have the solution for what you are confused about, then he told them about the high pressure water pumps and that he used this technique during building the high dam

I know the basic details around the Yom Kippur War. Egypt and Syria launched a surprise attack on Israel on October 6, 1973. Egypt was able to cross the canal and establish a defensive perimeter 12km deep and use its SAM missiles to establish air cover over its forces.

At the same time Syria launched a massive armored offensive to take the Golan Heights. But somehow Israel was able to stop the Syrian offensive and then with Syria under pressure, Sadat ordered the Egyptians to launch an offensive attack deep into the Sinai which was a total failure.

This weakening of Egyptian Forces allowed the Israelis to cross the canal and encircle the Egyptian 3rd Army.

The lynchpin seems to be the Syrian attack on the Golan Heights. Had the Syrians been successful, the Arabs would have won and would have dictated the terms to Israel.
Failed 14th oct Egyptian offensive was just one of many mistakes which led to encirclement.

1) They did not close the gap between the armies although they had more than a week to do so.
2) Egyptians gave false reports about crossed Israeli forces on 16 oct as result they did not react in time and as result 23th brigade was destroyed on 18 oct.
3) They refused to send troops back to the west shore, instead making senseless attacks which led to destruction of 25th brigade.

And they did not attack just for Syrians. They made attacks before that too. They had plans to reach Mitla and other passes.

But can someone explain as to why Syria failed to take the Golan Heights?
Frontal attacks against the Israeli armor were devastating and Israeli reserves came much sooner than they expected.

Failed 14th oct Egyptian offensive was just one of many mistakes which led to encirclement.

For your information, the encirclement of the 3rd army was just a tv show by Israel, you know why ? because the Israeli forces were also surrounded between the 2nd Egyptian army and the 3rd Egyptian army. so it was a 1-1 situation ! the two sides reached a dead end, both armies got encircled, Israel thinks they encircled the 3rd army, while in fact Israeli military was the one surrounded and encircled between 2nd army and 3rd army, what's worse than that ?! huh ?!

For your information, the encirclement of the 3rd army was just a tv show by Israel, you know why ? because the Israeli forces were also surrounded between the 2nd Egyptian army and the 3rd Egyptian army. so it was a 1-1 situation ! the two sides reached a dead end, both armies got encircled, Israel thinks they encircled the 3rd army, while in fact Israeli military was the one surrounded and encircled between 2nd army and 3rd army, what's worse than that ?! huh ?!
Another genius. Israeli forces nowhere were cut of their supplies. While 3rd army was cut of all their supplies and lacked air defence cover. They basically left in open desert with no food and no protection. Educate urself:

25 Oct 1100 hours: A meeting of the Armed Forces Supreme Council, the first since the outbreak of war. ...The main topic was, of course, how to open the road to Third Army. But though everyone spoke with passion, nobody could come up with a realistic plan.

"My men and I are ready to die to open the road to the Third Army," Qabiyl (Brigadier of the 4th Armored division) said. "But I have to say I do not think we will succeed. And if our division is destroyed the road to Cairo will be wide open."

To stay alive the Third Army needed rather over 150 tons of supplies a day. The vast column of soft-skinned vehicles needed to carry such quantitiies would simply be an added burden on the tank crews of 4th Division as they fought their way down the road.

And after. On October 30, when the plight of Third Army was desperate, the Egyptian newspapers appeared with banner headlines: "Our forces are in complete control of the West Bank of the Canal between Deversoir and Suez Town" and: "The Third Army is Receiving Supplies in the Normal Fashion." The whole world was being told of the encirclement of Third Army except the wives, mothers, sisters and sweethearts of the men suffering out there. Of course, rumors began to circulate. It was a catastrophe too big to hide.

1973_sinai_war_maps2.1414315717.jpg

I'm not going to read your bullshit, i know very well what im talking about, the fking Israeli bullshit forces were also encircled, end of discussion .

מבצע אבירי לב – ויקיפדיה

OH BTW, that page is in Hebrew , so of course it will be biased towards Israeli military and claim Israel's victory , because it was written by a fking Israeli crap bullshit person, unfortunately i couldn't find an English page for it, which will be un-biased

I'm not going to read your bullshit, i know very well what im talking about, the fking Israeli bullshit forces were also encircled, end of discussion .

מבצע אבירי לב – ויקיפדיה

OH BTW, that page is in Hebrew , so of course it will be biased towards Israeli military and claim Israel's victory , because it was written by a fking Israeli crap bullshit person, unfortunately i couldn't find an English page for it, which will be un-biased

I've got nothing to say except that your picture suits your writing style.

Another genius. Israeli forces nowhere were cut of their supplies. While 3rd army was cut of all their supplies and lacked air defence cover. They basically left in open desert with no food and no protection. Educate urself:

25 Oct 1100 hours: A meeting of the Armed Forces Supreme Council, the first since the outbreak of war. ...The main topic was, of course, how to open the road to Third Army. But though everyone spoke with passion, nobody could come up with a realistic plan.

"My men and I are ready to die to open the road to the Third Army," Qabiyl (Brigadier of the 4th Armored division) said. "But I have to say I do not think we will succeed. And if our division is destroyed the road to Cairo will be wide open."

To stay alive the Third Army needed rather over 150 tons of supplies a day. The vast column of soft-skinned vehicles needed to carry such quantitiies would simply be an added burden on the tank crews of 4th Division as they fought their way down the road.

And after. On October 30, when the plight of Third Army was desperate, the Egyptian newspapers appeared with banner headlines: "Our forces are in complete control of the West Bank of the Canal between Deversoir and Suez Town" and: "The Third Army is Receiving Supplies in the Normal Fashion." The whole world was being told of the encirclement of Third Army except the wives, mothers, sisters and sweethearts of the men suffering out there. Of course, rumors began to circulate. It was a catastrophe too big to hide.

1973_sinai_war_maps2.1414315717.jpg

333333334.jpg

you cant believe that you would win anything if war continues like i said a million time we can survive losses you cant at that point your losses were very high considering the population of isreal and you economy stoped .our army did what he was sent to do despite some mistakes we were better trained more ready to die for our country and have a realistic plan knowing what we want and how to get it

Doesn't anyone find it strange that Syria did not use anti-tank weapons in the Golan!?
I think it was deliberate, since another 400 destroyed Usraeli tanks could have had seen the US forced to intervene with its own army. Or Usraeli army would have been gone to the abiss of history. But the Arabs just wanted to send the IDF to it temporarily and for a lesson in warfare and history, knowing quite well that the American and European intervention would be imminent as was proven after the 5th day of the war, and yet covertly much before that.
The Syrian commandos took mount Hermon, the best defended and harshest to get to of any IDF defense positions in the firs 12/24 hours of the conflict.
The other strange fact is why Syrian armored divisions stopped short of taking the bridges (they were at about 15/20 km from them when they have stopped) which the Usraeli reinforcements were forced to take, to come to the rescue of their surrounded and badly beaten units in the Golan. and all of this has happened in the first 48 hours of the conflict!

Syria failed to get Golan Heights because their *** is kicked by bunch of Israelites
simple answer:-)

Simple raw courage and training of israeli tank gunners led by kahlani.And the syrian tankers used poor cavalry or mobile artillery style tactics.Centurion tank 105 mm gun had better range and accuracy than syrian t-series guns.Its better gun elevation also meant that it could fire from better terrain cover without exposing the vulnerable hull.Hope to one day expand on these points in detail.
Soviet tanks have always had poor gun depression in comparison to western counterparts. This gave a clear advantage to the Israelis who were able to use defensive hull down positions and knock out Syrian armor

1) They did not close the gap between the armies although they had more than a week to do so.
2) Egyptians gave false reports about crossed Israeli forces on 16 oct as result they did not react in time and as result 23th brigade was destroyed on 18 oct.
3) They refused to send troops back to the west shore, instead making senseless attacks which led to destruction of 25th brigade.

And they did not attack just for Syrians. They made attacks before that too. They had plans to reach Mitla and other passes.

Frontal attacks against the Israeli armor were devastating and Israeli reserves came much sooner than they expected.
1) why? do you think they were stupid after having destroyed much of the IDF tanks and warplanes in the Sinai?
2) Again why? not a deal reached with the US?
3) Why? they couldn't or answer 2 is enough?

You answer your own questions without knowing it, it only means that you are half brained, a symbol of ignorance, and have reached the summum of stupidity.

Doesn't anyone find it strange that Syria did not use anti-tank weapons in the Golan!?
Because Syrians were attacking while ATGM is defensive weapon.

1) why? do you think they were stupid after having destroyed much of the IDF tanks and warplanes in the Sinai?
2) Again why? not a deal reached with the US?
3) Why? they couldn't or answer 2 is enough?

You answer your own questions without knowing it, it only means that you are half brained, a symbol of ignorance, and have reached the summum of stupidity.
Because they had the same denial mode as u have. On 16 oct when Israel sent a tank battalion to West shore they reported there is just 5 tanks and sent a battalion to suicide attack.

On 18 oct when Israel sent 2 brigades of tanks they reported there are only 10 tanks and sent the entire 23th brigade to suicide.

Last edited:
Because Syrians were attacking while ATGM is defensive weapon.

Because they had the same denial mode as u have. On 16 oct when Israel sent a tank battalion to West shore they reported there is just 5 tanks and sent a battalion to suicide attack.

On 18 oct when Israel sent 2 brigades of tanks they reported there are only 10 tanks and sent the entire 23th brigade to suicide.
Your mind is in denial mode. You know the truth, if not, read the comments of Golda.
We know why they found only 5 tanks (a lie), and the whole brigade that was decimated was of you "special forces", you know it too, but too painful to bear.

You should see also the Egyptian count of it, they have real documentaries filmed during the war. There are also a lot of sites with no bias and where one can find truth, untold events and policies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom