What's new

Yellow Sea drill involves no aircraft carriers: US

challenger

BANNED
Reaction score
Yellow Sea drill involves no aircraft carriers: US
Foreign 2010-08-20 15:35

Yellow Sea drill involves no aircraft carriers: US | My Sinchew

SEOUL, Friday 20 August 2010 (AFP) -- A joint US-South Korea anti-submarine exercise in the sensitive Yellow Sea will not involve a US aircraft carrier, the US military said Friday.

Yonhap news agency had quoted government sources as saying the September exercise would be on smaller scale than a previous drill involving US aircraft carrier the George Washington.

The two allies have been carrying out a series of exercises in a warning to North Korea in the wake of the sinking of a South Korean warship, the Cheonan, near disputed waters off the western coast, claiming 46 lives.

Seoul blames the loss of the warship on a torpedo attack by a North Korean submarine, an allegation that Pyongyang has vehemently denied.

The United States and South Korea, which hosts 28,500 US troops, moved an exercise in July from the Yellow Sea to the eastern side of the Korean peninsula after Beijing raised concerns about regional tensions.

"The September exercise is an anti-submarine drill and will not involve any US aircraft carrier," Spokesman Kim Yong-Kyu of the US Forces in Korea told AFP.

The Pentagon said Wednesday the two allies would continue a series of exercises that are of a defensive nature and are designed to send "a clear message" to North Korea.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the exercise would be held in international waters.

Military drills involving the United States in the Yellow Sea are a sensitive issue because of the proximity to China and the disputed maritime boundary between South and North Korea.

China, North Korea's closest ally and its most important source of economic and other aid, has refused to criticise Pyongyang over the Cheonan and has repeatedly warned Washington and Seoul against the exercises.

South Korea and the United States are currently engaged in their latest exercise, a round of war games involving tens of thousands of troops that began on Monday.

Still an excercise to show support for South Korea in the yellow sea so not a big deal.

Assuming this news is true of course. Seems to come squarely from Yonhap, with most/all other newspapers sourcing it. No reason to believe its false despite it seeming to come from only one source, and mostly being taken up by CCP state owned sites (at least 2 sourcing Yonhap, others unread beside the title) and the mentioned Yonhap. I have seen it on at least one defense site, though that also uses the Yonhap news agency as a source, otherwise it seems to be absent.

Yellow Sea drill involves no aircraft carriers: US - ASDNews

Still an excercise to show support for South Korea in the yellow sea so not a big deal.

Assuming this news is true of course. Seems to come squarely from Yonhap, with most/all other newspapers sourcing it. No reason to believe its false despite it seeming to come from only one source, and mostly being taken up by CCP state owned sites (at least 2 sourcing Yonhap, others unread beside the title) and the mentioned Yonhap. I have seen it on at least one defense site, though that also uses the Yonhap news agency as a source, otherwise it seems to be absent.

Yellow Sea drill involves no aircraft carriers: US - ASDNews

What are you talking about? Are you drunk or ....?

Lets see what the Voice of America has to say:

The United States and South Korea plan a second combined naval exercise meant to send a message to North Korea. But these maneuvers, to be held in the Yellow Sea closer to China, will not involve a U.S. aircraft carrier.

US, South Korea to Stage War Games in September | News | English

Honestly saying, I was expecting the carrier in Yellow sea, it would awaken up China.

Hope, China learns its lesson this time. Increasing the number of thermo nuclear warheads and ICBMs and submarines and developing longer range stealth bombers is what China needs to focus on now.

The United States and South Korea plan a second combined naval exercise meant to send a message to North Korea. But these maneuvers, to be held in the Yellow Sea closer to China, will not involve a U.S. aircraft carrier.

Honestly saying, I was expecting the carrier in Yellow sea, it would awaken up China.

Hope, China learns its lesson this time. Increasing the number of thermo nuclear warheads and ICBMs and submarines and developing longer range stealth bombers is what China needs to focus on now.

Good news, as you said, a reminder that we need to upgrade our military strength quick.:china:
Bro, what you expect from him, check out all his posts, you can smell them from miles away.:azn:

Good news, as you said, a reminder that we need to upgrade our military strength quick.:china:
Bro, what you expect from him, check out all his posts, you can smell them from miles away.:azn:

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah... I knew. ;)

All I can say is that article wasn't there when I looked for it.

also it is indeed confirmed AFP: Yellow Sea drill involves no aircraft carriers: US

Nuclear warheads are a deterrant. If China actually needs to use them it's already lost regardless and there is no possible way China could 'beat' the US in a nuclear war (if there could even be called a winner). No need to waste money creating and maintaining more. More nukes wouldn't change the calculations of any other powers and would hurt China's media image as an opponent of proliferation to the general media if not the general public.

longer range stealth bombers are fine but they are fairly expensive and China would effectively be trying to beat the US at its own game while it has loads more experience. Better to look for relatively cheap options that nullify US advantage in space, air, and naval operations, not expensive options that could not possibly be construed as defensive and more importantly would only serve to fight the US on its own battlefield allowing it to use its capabilities to its fullest.

I read on Tiexue that besides the long range rocket launcher test in the East China Sea China also fired a large number of anti-ship missiles (not ballistic) in the same area. Is this reported in Western News?

I think this comic describes the situation pretty well

image.php

Back
Top Bottom