What's new

Y-20 heavy transport aircraft News & Discussions

Do you really think, that flight testing of a completely new engine not yet in service anywhere on a new version will only last one year?
I don't think they are testing a completely new engine. If not, they would have strap 2 D30kp and 2 WS-20 together combo which is much safer for a 4 engines plane.

More like this is just a simple routine QC check before final handover to production unit to fitted on new Y-20. It will not take long.

Video of Y-20 with WS-20 engines in flight.
This should settle it.
1.gif

Do you really think, that flight testing of a completely new engine not yet in service anywhere on a new version will only last one year?
I think new engine has been tested for quite a while, otherwise they will not replace all 4 engines on Y-20.

Initially they only replace 1 engine out of 4 on IL-76

I think new engine has been tested for quite a while, otherwise they will not replace all 4 engines on Y-20.

Initially they only replace 1 engine out of 4 on IL-76

Yes for sure, but it is one thing to test an engine so that it is mature to be tested on its definitive aircraft - this part is surely concluded - and a second one to rush thru all operational trials with a new engine and this part is surely not done yet.

As such, I'm sure the engine runs reliably under regular flight characteristics but has it been tested frontline, under rough field conditions, hot&high and does it run reliably under these operational conditions too? IMO this was not yet done and will surely take longer than one year.

Yes for sure, but it is one thing to test an engine so that it is mature to be tested on its definitive aircraft - this part is surely concluded - and a second one to rush thru all operational trials with a new engine and this part is surely not done yet.

As such, I'm sure the engine runs reliably under regular flight characteristics but has it been tested frontline, under rough field conditions, hot&high and does it run reliably under these operational conditions too? IMO this was not yet done and will surely take longer than one year.
Reliable test can be done on IL-76. I think it's more about aerodynamics test of WS-20 integration with Y-20

Reliable test can be done on IL-76. I think it's more about aerodynamics test of WS-20 integration with Y-20

But no operational-like tests were done with the WS-20, at least not with a Il-76 using four WS-20s

Below is from Huitong's Chinese Military Aviation:-

" A recent news (November 2020) suggested that a Y-20B prototype (S/N 7810) powered by the indigenous WS-20 turbofans made her maiden flight. It features a flood light mounted on the leading edge of the vertical fin, probably for night operation (inflight refueling?) purpose "

Back
Top Bottom