What's new

Y-20 chief designer and engineer both resigned

Is the product complete ?? or was it just a technology demonstrator ??
Why u think Y-20 just a technology demonstrator, coz D-30 engine ? No matter D-30 or WS-20, Y-20 all can fly engines not a problem for China. The design work is done no changes, Y-20 project is successful and rest is going into Manufacturing ... as an engineer, i say right now there's not the business for our R&D engineers, rest is the job of SE & PE engineers in manufacturing factory. We can have a rest !
20141031171011497845.jpg

The Y-20 has essentially finished development, buddy.
Indeed but i'm suspect the performance of the y-20. THe y-20 seems to be assembly off of the Il-76 frame. Near identical physical specs of both aircraft. Even the cargo bay is the same size. I doubt its performance given even the Indians have already used them at Leh airfield and have issues with power. The Russians were actually surprised the Indians did this.
Now I suspect the PLAAF would only want a limited number. If i'm right. most of this is still lic, production which would only fill a limited domestic demand. The PLAAF will want something bigger and exacting to specifications. The engine, is the big issue. No one has the edge more so than America. Their air lifters are the best and most abundant. So if the PLAAF can't match America is quality, they'd have to numbers and for this it'll be a big budget.

... THe y-20 seems to be assembly off of the Il-76 frame. Near identical physical specs of both aircraft. Even the cargo bay is the same size. ....

Not sure what You were smoking, but the Y-20 is never "modelled" or "assembled off of the Il-76 frame" and it also does not "have a cargo bay of the same size". This images scaled to identical size of the engines shows that very clearly.

Y-20 vs. Il-76MD diameter.jpg

Not sure what You were smoking, but the Y-20 is never "modelled" or "assembled off of the Il-76 frame" and it also does not "have a cargo bay of the same size". This images scaled to identical size of the engines shows that very clearly.

Source: Y-20 chief designer and engineer both resigned | Page 2
Well i'll be damned but that still looks like a cousin of the Il-76. And I suspect it is an improvement on the short comings of the Il-76. Still I think the cargo bay may actually be near the same size.
And if you can't see the Soviet connection IDK what your smoking.

Steel beam construction for the wings?

Well i'll be damned but that still looks like a cousin of the Il-76. And I suspect it is an improvement on the short comings of the Il-76. Still I think the cargo bay may actually be near the same size.
And if you can't see the Soviet connection IDK what your smoking.

Steel beam construction for the wings?

Better you compare Y20 to C17 which everyone considered as the original design

Better you compare Y20 to C17 which everyone considered as the original design

Source: Y-20 chief designer and engineer both resigned | Page 2
I think the C-17 is a bench mark goal. Its what the Y-20 wanted to be but with the technology available only allowed for Antoniev or Illusion or any ex USSR company to join the bidding. I don't think they got the machinery from the states. However, I do suspect commercial companies involved native to China. Its better than starting the same assembly line of anything on market, just improve it. Its built on proven aircraft/fuselage, and that for certain. Also the engine, will be an incredible challenge that will prove the success of the aircraft. Since the PLA isn't transparent, time will tell of its success or short comings.

I think the C-17 is a bench mark goal. Its what the Y-20 wanted to be but with the technology available only allowed for Antoniev or Illusion or any ex USSR company to join the bidding. I don't think they got the machinery from the states. However, I do suspect commercial companies involved native to China. Its better than starting the same assembly line of anything on market, just improve it. Its built on proven aircraft/fuselage, and that for certain. Also the engine, will be an incredible challenge that will prove the success of the aircraft. Since the PLA isn't transparent, time will tell of its success or short comings.

Its role is heavy cargo lifter. I am not satisfied with the conclusion without any evidence of full loaded Y-20

Back
Top Bottom