What's new

WSJ How China's Growing Nationalism Changes Views of the West

Run away success doesn't mean that it has to be in top 10.

Dangal is by the way at 41.

But more than that, Dangal had very little advertising and sustained itself purely on word of mouth.

I can bet you won't find any Chinese movie even in the top 50 for either the US or India, despite the fact that the US/Indian markets are more open to Chinese films than vice versa.
Chinese dramas and movies are popular in east and south east Asia, it's a cultural thing, almost all top viewing dramas in Vietnam are Chinese dramas, but don't say we shine on that as you claim.

Chinese dramas and movies are popular in east and south east Asia, it's a cultural thing, almost all top viewing dramas in Vietnam are Chinese dramas, but don't say we shine on that as you claim.

Oh I know that! But even in East Asia, Japanese and Korean cultural imports usually beat Chinese ones by a fair margin.

And please explain to me, how there is NO, not even one single original Chinese movie in the top grossing list for HK?

Any Indian movies there? Hong kong is just a city, China is the world biggest movie market in the world, second to none, one can't make any claims without having any kind of impact in this number one movie market.

Wait, when did China become the largest market? Sources please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_India

The first task of the film industry is to satisfy local demand.

Look at the top grossing Indian movies. Only 4 are American. The Indian film industry actually dominates India and the neighboring countries like Bangladesh etc.

It is also slowly moving out, and has started reaching out to gulf countries etc.

A recent TV show, Sacred Games on Netflix, had 3 times more viewers outside India, compared to India.

In China, despite all the censorship issues, and the movie quota on outsiders, 21 out of the top 50 are foreign films. Apart from that, illegal access of foreign films and TV shows is extremely high compared to paying capacity.

Any Indian movies there? Hong kong is just a city, China is the world biggest movie market in the world, second to none, one can't make any claims without having any kind of impact in this number one movie market.

And how does HK being "just a city" negate anything?

Isn't it a Chinese city? Doesn't it watch and produce movies?

Wait, when did China become the largest market? Sources please?
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/c...merica-its-time-to-start-worrying-1201949453/

And I said Indian movies maybe popular in south Asia but it's far from having any impact in the world, maybe not even close to what Hong kong Kungfu movies did globally, I never claim Chinese movies shine globally as you said about Indian movies. I just tell you don't make tall claims like India shines globally in pharmacy and movies.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/c...merica-its-time-to-start-worrying-1201949453/

And I said Indian movies maybe popular in south Asia but it's far from having any impact in the world, maybe not even close to what Hong kong Kungfu movies did globally, I never claim Chinese movies shine globally as you said about Indian movies. I just tell you don't make tall claims like India shines globally in pharmacy and movies.

This link proves nothing.

The first quarter, which includes the spring festival or CNY is always the bigger than other quarters, and doesn't depict the overall trend.

In fact, this article is from last year, and last year at least, the Chinese movie market didn't beat out US.

This link proves nothing.

The first quarter, which includes the spring festival or CNY is always the bigger than other quarters, and doesn't depict the overall trend.

In fact, this article is from last year, and last year at least, the Chinese movie market didn't beat out US.
Remember, I never claim Chinese movies popular, I just Indian movies are not popular here as you claimed, I said China lead in such and such and you said India shines in pharmacy and movie making, which are not true.

Did I say Chinese movies popular globally like you said about India's?

You just said that China's movies and shows are popular in East and South East Asia, which the movie figures don't show.

In fact, China's market itself has a very significant foreign presence, despite being heavily controlled.

I didn't say India dominates movies, but India does have a competitive advantage in the sense that India is a net exporter of movies, is able to largely completely satisfy domestic demand, is popular across South Asia, and is penetrating further afield, including in China.

Post it in a relevant thread, this one is about China and the west.

You just said that China's movies and shows are popular in East and South East Asia, which the movie figures don't show.

In fact, China's market itself has a very significant foreign presence, despite being heavily controlled.

I didn't say India dominates movies, but India does have a competitive advantage in the sense that India is a net exporter of movies, is able to largely completely satisfy domestic demand, is popular across South Asia, and is penetrating further afield, including in China.
I told you in China Indian movies got no influence at all, I m here in China, and pharmacy you actually depend on China, that's my point, I never intend to show that Chines movies popular, actually Chinese dramas are much popular than movies in this region, but that's also not my point.

Top 2019 Movies at the Worldwide Box Office

See also: Top 2019 Domestic - Top 2019 International

This chart contains the total worldwide box office for the top 100 movies released in 2019.

1 Avengers: Endgame $2,795,473,000 $858,373,000 $1,937,100,000 30.71%
2 The Lion King $1,618,617,304 $535,617,304 $1,083,000,000 33.09%
3 Spider-Man: Far From Home $1,128,215,390 $389,466,018 $738,749,372 34.52%
4 Captain Marvel $1,126,129,839 $426,829,839 $699,300,000 37.90%
5 Toy Story 4 $1,058,033,979 $432,533,979 $625,500,000 40.88%
6 Aladdin $1,037,662,942 $355,162,942 $682,500,000 34.23%
7 Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw $755,885,174 $170,613,810 $585,271,364 22.57%
8 Ne Zha Zhi Mo Tong Jiang Shi $719,994,753 $3,470,710 $716,524,043 0.48%
9 Liu Lang Di Qiu $692,163,684 $692,163,684
10 How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World $519,235,419 $160,799,505 $358,435,914 30.97%

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/worldwide/all-movies/cumulative/released-in-2019

No, your figures show Chinese movies are not at the very top or dominating of foreign blockbuster box office scenes that are still mainly controlled by U.S. media circles far beyond pure film production. Which no one claimed and you just keep strawmanning with because you have no figures that back up your own claims about the Indian movie industry when called out on your fantasy "facts".

Meanwhile the same figures show the same for Indian movies.
But somehow that doesnt make Indian movies unpopular by the same flawed logic you try to use deny Chinese movie popularity. We all know why.

Last edited:
Chinese contemporary culture would have perform much better if there's less censorship. I've seen all kinds of silly reasons why some Chinese dramas/movies are restricted. Period dramas, topics of superstitions, and heck even portraying school bullying gets you a restriction. What a waste of sweat and blood from the production crew.

Back
Top Bottom