What's new

World's oldest bread (14,500 years) found at prehistoric site in Jordan

Yep, I love Keema Naan also. I think Muslims brought bread to sub-continent, not good in history so I may be wrong. Love all middle eastern breads, my favourites are Turkish, Iraqi, Pita and Afghan breads, don't like Lebanese bread though..

It's great indeed. I need to learn how to make it on my own.

Just saw your flag (Australia). Lebanese are one of the largest, if not the largest, Arab/Middle Eastern community in Australia.

7 million views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih7whQtCUQM

@Saif al-Arab
It is just incredible that yesterday I was reading a scientific study about agriculture in ancient Egypt.. and they talked about bread being made before agriculture in the region.. It was a bit intriguing..and the article above confirms the theory..

in northeastern Jordan have given researchers a delectable surprise: people began making bread, a vital staple food, millennia before they developed agriculture.
Why the surprise? People ate fruits before cultivating fruit trees, too.

I like barbari bread, which is also commercially sold in Food Basic (Canada). I love all kind of wheat-based food but am still acutely aware that no human beings have ever been able to fully break down gluten.

Indian naan bread with cheese is also a great feast!

I am yet to visit Canada but I believe that the Lebanese community is the largest Arab community in Canada although many Lebanese are actually of Palestinian origin. That might explain the prevalence of Lebanese cuisine. Also most Westerners will like Lebanese cuisine as it is one of the least spicy in the Arab world. Although I like Lebanese cuisine, there are IMO, numerous better Arab cuisines out there. Iraqi, Saudi Arabian, Jordanian, Yemeni, Egyptian, Moroccan etc. to mention a few. However I understand the appeal of Lebanese cuisine for the average Westerner. It's the cuisine that many are most familiar with when Arab cuisine is discussed. It has also great similarity (in many ways) with Southern European cuisines, in particular cuisine from Greece and Southern Italy. That can be said about many Arab cuisines but Lebanese is probably the closest. You also got French influences due to past French presence in Lebanon.

However the more "exotic" Arabic cuisines are IMO better and have much more to offer. After all Lebanon is not the largest country in the world and regional diversity is comparable to its size. A great cuisine though, no doubt about it.

I believe that Indians and South Asians in general would feel much more familiarity with other Arab cuisines than the Lebanese one. For instance the Moroccan, Saudi Arabian, Iraqi, Yemeni, Omani etc. Most of the spices are similar for instance.

This is true...I completely understand what you mean...I can see the variance even among the lebanese as to who have stuck to more original recipe in the bread and who have modified more to western palate.

You are right I have tried the more authentic stuff from Egyptian, Moroccan etc...restaurants too....its definitely more to my tastes...but more harder to find in Canada generally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom