Saif al-Arab

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
World's oldest bread found at prehistoric site in Jordan

Will Dunham
3 MIN READ

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Charred remains of a flatbread baked about 14,500 years ago in a stone fireplace at a site in northeastern Jordan have given researchers a delectable surprise: people began making bread, a vital staple food, millennia before they developed agriculture.

Amaia Arranz-Otaegui, a University of Copenhagen postdoctoral researcher in archaeobotany, and Ali Shakaiteer, a local assistant to researchers working at an archeological site in the Black Desert in northeastern Jordan, are seen collecting wheat in this image provided July 16, 2018. Joe Roe/Handout via REUTERS

No matter how you slice it, the discovery detailed on Monday shows that hunter-gatherers in the Eastern Mediterranean achieved the cultural milestone of bread-making far earlier than previously known, more than 4,000 years before plant cultivation took root.

The flatbread, likely unleavened and somewhat resembling pita bread, was fashioned from wild cereals such as barley, einkorn or oats, as well as tubers from an aquatic papyrus relative, that had been ground into flour.

It was made by a culture called the Natufians, who had begun to embrace a sedentary rather than nomadic lifestyle, and was found at a Black Desert archeological site.

“The presence of bread at a site of this age is exceptional,” said Amaia Arranz-Otaegui, a University of Copenhagen postdoctoral researcher in archaeobotany and lead author of the research published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

A stone structure at an archeological site containing a fireplace, seen in the middle, where charred remains of 14,500-year-old bread was found in the Black Desert, in northeastern Jordan in this photo provided July 16, 2018. Alexis Pantos/Handout via REUTERS

Arranz-Otaegui said until now the origins of bread had been associated with early farming societies that cultivated cereals and legumes. The previous oldest evidence of bread came from a 9,100-year-old site in Turkey.

“We now have to assess whether there was a relationship between bread production and the origins of agriculture,” Arranz-Otaegui said. “It is possible that bread may have provided an incentive for people to take up plant cultivation and farming, if it became a desirable or much-sought-after food.”

University of Copenhagen archeologist and study co-author Tobias Richter pointed to the nutritional implications of adding bread to the diet. “Bread provides us with an important source of carbohydrates and nutrients, including B vitamins, iron and magnesium, as well as fiber,” Richter said.

Abundant evidence from the site indicated the Natufians had a meat- and plant-based diet. The round floor fireplaces, made from flat basalt stones and measuring about a yard (meter) in diameter, were located in the middle of huts.

Arranz-Otaegui said the researchers have begun the process of trying to reproduce the bread, and succeeded in making flour from the type of tubers used in the prehistoric recipe. But it might have been an acquired taste.

“The taste of the tubers,” Arranz-Otaegui said, “is quite gritty and salty. But it is a bit sweet as well.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...efends-record-in-senate-hearing-idUSKBN1K91A7

Yet again the Arab world is a pioneer and more precisely the Arab/Semitic Near East.

As a side note the population of the Arab/Semitic Middle East has been more or less the same since the Neolithic period which explains why Neolithic mummies from the Natufian culture (most advanced and the first Neolithic culture in the world) cluster with modern-day Saudi Arabians (in particular), Jordanians, Palestinians, Egyptians etc.

DNA results from 2016:

https://plot.ly/~PortalAntropologiczny9cfa/1.embed?share_key=za9Lb3y1UX6nJRG9v4EXOL

Here is the entire report:

http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2016/06/16/059311.full.pdf

http://anthromadness.blogspot.com/2016/06/natufians-and-neolithic-levantines-lack.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5003663/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natufian_culture

@Falcon29 @OutOfAmmo @Gomig-21 @SALMAN F @The SC etc.

Fascinating stuff.

Last edited:
Talk about the bread resembling modern-day Arabic breeds.

It would not surprise me the slightest if that bread resembled the bread of the Bedouins of Jordan and the region overall.

The very famous Youtuber Mark Wiens and his trip to Jordan (watched by millions on Youtube, several videos, just posting 2)

6.1 million views.

It's an art form on its own like genuine traditional Arab cuisine is mostly and any reputable cuisine of the world.

Cool staff

4 million views

@OutOfAmmo @Malik Alashter

Arabic breads are hugely popular in Europe and gaining popularity by each year. Numerous Arabic restaurants and shops are full each morning and people waiting in large lines to buy Arabic breads.

Seen it in person in France, Spain, Scandinavia, Germany and the UK. Even gaining ground in the US as well due to the 3.5 million big Arab-American diaspora and the many Arab students in the US.

Anyway for most people in the West it all goes by the name of "pita". From what I have experienced what they are selling in those big markets across Europe is a very cheap imitation of the real deal yet it is quite popular. Strange stuff for me. Similar to the shawarma, falafel and kebab that is being sold in Europe by large. Low quality but people love it by large. Even more genuine traditional Arab restaurants (high-quality) should be created for people to taste the "real deal". It is a shame otherwise.

Also bread is eaten fresh. Rule number 1. Not that frozen joke that I have seen.

4 million views

@OutOfAmmo @Malik Alashter

Arabic breads are hugely popular in Europe and gaining popularity by each year. Numerous Arabic restaurants and shops are full each morning and people waiting in large lines to buy Arabic breads.

Seen it in person in France, Spain, Scandinavia, Germany and the UK. Even gaining ground in the US as well due to the 3.5 million big Arab-American diaspora and the many Arab students in the US.
Every one like the good old stuff I've seen it here they buy the Iraqi bread

And they like the food too except our stuff never been in media to beknown

Every one like the good old stuff I've seen it here they buy the Iraqi bread

And they like the food too except our stuff never been in media to beknown

Actually in Europe Arabic cuisine is widely popular (especially among the youth) and gaining ground. Most people know falafel, shawarma, hummus, coffee (an Arab invention), various Arabic breeds, Arabic salads etc.

Take a look at the arguably most famous/most watched food/cuisine Youtuber (Mark Wiens) and his videos from Arab countries are the most watched.

I linked to two of his videos when he visited Jordan.

This one from the UAE, has 8.6 million views alone. His most watched video if I am not wrong.

However the more traditional dishes and signature dishes are indeed much lesser known and not widespread. Which frankly speaking is a good thing as there will be more left for us Arabs to eat.:lol:

Also genuine Arab food is something that can take several hours (sometimes days if the feast is big and there are a lot of dishes) to prepare so not the perfect restaurant food that you can make within a short timespan.

For example how are you going to make this dish in your usual restaurant?

3.8 million views.

7.5 million views.

How I make Hijazi mandi for example.

Such cooking methods cannot be used in most restaurants in the West.

No tradition for preparing meat that way nor the right infrastructure. I have only seen it in 2 Arab restaurants in Europe. 1 in Paris and the other in London. Basically the two capitals in Europe and where many Arabs live.

Or for example Masguf? Have you ever eaten a genuine masgouf dish in Europe prepared the traditional way?

It's imposible to get a fresh fish like you would in say Baghdad or Basra.

Obviously I have not visited every single Iraqi or other Arab restaurants in Europe (not even 0,5% most likely) but yet to see it, hear about it, hear from other Iraqis and Arabs etc. that there is a restaurant that serves genuine masgouf.

Easier to eat such food at home.

A few years ago I was looking for genuine kleicha (either the Iraqi or Najdi version) in markets in Europe and shops and the only thing I found was some cheap mass-produced (a joke) kleicha cakes in a plastic bag made by a firm whose name I have never heard about. Meanwhile if visiting homes of elders, they will make their own bake-owned kleicha.

Or Arabic bakeries. There they will have it.

Last edited:
World's oldest bread found at prehistoric site in Jordan

Will Dunham
3 MIN READ

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Charred remains of a flatbread baked about 14,500 years ago in a stone fireplace at a site in northeastern Jordan have given researchers a delectable surprise: people began making bread, a vital staple food, millennia before they developed agriculture.

Amaia Arranz-Otaegui, a University of Copenhagen postdoctoral researcher in archaeobotany, and Ali Shakaiteer, a local assistant to researchers working at an archeological site in the Black Desert in northeastern Jordan, are seen collecting wheat in this image provided July 16, 2018. Joe Roe/Handout via REUTERS

No matter how you slice it, the discovery detailed on Monday shows that hunter-gatherers in the Eastern Mediterranean achieved the cultural milestone of bread-making far earlier than previously known, more than 4,000 years before plant cultivation took root.

The flatbread, likely unleavened and somewhat resembling pita bread, was fashioned from wild cereals such as barley, einkorn or oats, as well as tubers from an aquatic papyrus relative, that had been ground into flour.

It was made by a culture called the Natufians, who had begun to embrace a sedentary rather than nomadic lifestyle, and was found at a Black Desert archeological site.

“The presence of bread at a site of this age is exceptional,” said Amaia Arranz-Otaegui, a University of Copenhagen postdoctoral researcher in archaeobotany and lead author of the research published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

A stone structure at an archeological site containing a fireplace, seen in the middle, where charred remains of 14,500-year-old bread was found in the Black Desert, in northeastern Jordan in this photo provided July 16, 2018. Alexis Pantos/Handout via REUTERS

Arranz-Otaegui said until now the origins of bread had been associated with early farming societies that cultivated cereals and legumes. The previous oldest evidence of bread came from a 9,100-year-old site in Turkey.

“We now have to assess whether there was a relationship between bread production and the origins of agriculture,” Arranz-Otaegui said. “It is possible that bread may have provided an incentive for people to take up plant cultivation and farming, if it became a desirable or much-sought-after food.”

University of Copenhagen archeologist and study co-author Tobias Richter pointed to the nutritional implications of adding bread to the diet. “Bread provides us with an important source of carbohydrates and nutrients, including B vitamins, iron and magnesium, as well as fiber,” Richter said.

Abundant evidence from the site indicated the Natufians had a meat- and plant-based diet. The round floor fireplaces, made from flat basalt stones and measuring about a yard (meter) in diameter, were located in the middle of huts.

Arranz-Otaegui said the researchers have begun the process of trying to reproduce the bread, and succeeded in making flour from the type of tubers used in the prehistoric recipe. But it might have been an acquired taste.

“The taste of the tubers,” Arranz-Otaegui said, “is quite gritty and salty. But it is a bit sweet as well.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...efends-record-in-senate-hearing-idUSKBN1K91A7

Yet again the Arab world is a pioneer and more precisely the Arab/Semitic Near East.

As a side note the population of the Arab/Semitic Middle East has been more or less the same since the Neolithic period which explains why Neolithic mummies from the Natufian culture (most advanced and the first Neolithic culture in the world) cluster with modern-day Saudi Arabians (in particular), Jordanians, Palestinians, Egyptians etc.

DNA results from 2016:

https://plot.ly/~PortalAntropologiczny9cfa/1.embed?share_key=za9Lb3y1UX6nJRG9v4EXOL

Here is the entire report:

http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2016/06/16/059311.full.pdf

http://anthromadness.blogspot.com/2016/06/natufians-and-neolithic-levantines-lack.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5003663/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natufian_culture

@Falcon29 @OutOfAmmo @Gomig-21 @SALMAN F @The SC etc.

Fascinating stuff.

That's really neat stuff. Explains why bread making was already quite well advanced when civilisation emerged in Sumeria and Egypt.

That's really neat stuff. Explains why bread making was already quite well advanced when civilisation emerged in Sumeria and Egypt.

Actually agriculture itself originates in the Arab world (like so much else), more precisely Sham/Levant, Mesopotamia and Northern Arabia.

So scientists finding the oldest traces of bread in the world dating back almost 15.000, more or less corresponding with the first Neolithic civilization in the world (Natufian) in Southern Levant, makes perfect sense.

Jordan (modern-day nation state) is basically a state that incorporates (geographically as well most importantly) features from next door Arabia, Levant and to a lesser extent Iraq.

Personally I was not the least surprised about this news having read a lot about the Natufian culture and finding out how many ancient practices and traditions derive from this ancient culture and how it influenced later cultures and civilizations in the Arab world. Quite a few felt to this very day. For instance I find it unbelievable that this bread showed great similarities with modern-day versions of Arabic breed. Case in point the bread that Bedouins make in the very same Jordan. Imagine how many generations this method of bread making has travelled. Around 500 generations!

Actually agriculture itself originates in the Arab world (like so much else), more precisely Sham/Levant, Mesopotamia and Northern Arabia.

So scientists finding the oldest traces of bread in the world dating back almost 15.000, more or less corresponding with the first Neolithic civilization in the world (Natufian) in Southern Levant, makes perfect sense.

Jordan (modern-day nation state) is basically a state that incorporates (geographically as well most importantly) features from next door Arabia, Levant and to a lesser extent Iraq.

Personally I was not the least surprised about this news having read a lot about the Natufian culture and finding out how many ancient practices and traditions derive from this ancient culture and how it influenced later cultures and civilizations in the Arab world. Quite a few felt to this very day. For instance I find it unbelievable that this bread showed great similarities with modern-day versions of Arabic breed. Case in point the bread that Bedouins make in the very same Jordan. Imagine how many generations this method of bread making has travelled. Around 500 generations!

No wonder Arab bread (Pita etc) tastes so great, it has great heritage!

Over here in Canada, the most popular Arab cuisine is from Lebanon I would say. Lot of places bake their own bread....or acquire from a local arab bakery fresh. It makes all the difference.

Very interesting find. No I know why middle eastern breads are so yummy. They have more experience than anyone else...

Very interesting find. No I know why middle eastern breads are so yummy. They have more experience than anyone else...

Indian naan bread with cheese is also a great feast!

No wonder Arab bread (Pita etc) tastes so great, it has great heritage!

Over here in Canada, the most popular Arab cuisine is from Lebanon I would say. Lot of places bake their own bread....or acquire from a local arab bakery fresh. It makes all the difference.

I am yet to visit Canada but I believe that the Lebanese community is the largest Arab community in Canada although many Lebanese are actually of Palestinian origin. That might explain the prevalence of Lebanese cuisine. Also most Westerners will like Lebanese cuisine as it is one of the least spicy in the Arab world. Although I like Lebanese cuisine, there are IMO, numerous better Arab cuisines out there. Iraqi, Saudi Arabian, Jordanian, Yemeni, Egyptian, Moroccan etc. to mention a few. However I understand the appeal of Lebanese cuisine for the average Westerner. It's the cuisine that many are most familiar with when Arab cuisine is discussed. It has also great similarity (in many ways) with Southern European cuisines, in particular cuisine from Greece and Southern Italy. That can be said about many Arab cuisines but Lebanese is probably the closest. You also got French influences due to past French presence in Lebanon.

However the more "exotic" Arabic cuisines are IMO better and have much more to offer. After all Lebanon is not the largest country in the world and regional diversity is comparable to its size. A great cuisine though, no doubt about it.

I believe that Indians and South Asians in general would feel much more familiarity with other Arab cuisines than the Lebanese one. For instance the Moroccan, Saudi Arabian, Iraqi, Yemeni, Omani etc. Most of the spices are similar for instance.

Indian naan bread with cheese is also a great feast!

Yep, I love Keema Naan also. I think Muslims brought bread to sub-continent, not good in history so I may be wrong. Love all middle eastern breads, my favourites are Turkish, Iraqi, Pita and Afghan breads, don't like Lebanese bread though..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom