What's new

World’s Best Main Battle Tanks

wOnDeR-ChAp

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
From basic ‘landships’ to flame-throwing dragons, a concept of tanks – ‘the killing machine’ was first used in 1916 in WWI as there was a need for a deadly weapon that could cross No-Man’s Land, crush the barbed wires and destroy the enemy’s trenches, by staying protected from enemy attacks. Tanks have played an important part in both the wars. The largest tank battle in history was in WWII at Kursk, Russia, in 1943, in which almost 9,000 German and Russian tanks jarred.

Early tank designs sometimes killed their own occupants as the tank cabins were extremely hot and filled with fuel fumes, a single spark could ignite the entire crew. Loosened rivets, pieces of shells, armour-piercing rounds would bounce back in the cabin. As the war progressed, designs were improved. A new design was introduced in WWI, with crew in the front, engine in the back, and a fully rotating gun or cannon turret at the top, and later in WWII tank design became bigger, heavier, faster with increased firepower. With the passage of time tanks became offensive and defensive weapons as well as recovery and salvage vehicles.

There are 3 main characteristics of tanks; good firepower, protection and mobility. With advanced technology, tank guns are larger with enhanced engines and more sophisticated and thicker armour, high-tech sensors, electronic/communication equipment, and cutting edge weaponry combined together to create state-of-the-art piece of military equipment.

Among so many origins and models of main battle tanks; top 5 world’s best tanks in the world have been analyzed. The selection is based on available technical specifications in terms of good protection, firepower, accuracy and mobility. All of the tanks mentioned here are incredibly powerful and lethal, and have their own capabilities. However, none of them have come face-to-face in any battle.

K2 Black Panther South Korea

k2blak.jpg
It is the most contemporary Main Battle Tank (MBT), manufactured by Hyundai Rotem for the Korean Armed Forces that comes with more mobility, high fire power and self-protection. It has a German based MTU-890, comprising a Doosan Infracore Corporation, 4-cycle, 12-cylinder water-cooled diesel engine with 1,500 hp; however locally designed Korean based engine shall be used in future. It has maximum speed of 70 km/h for paved road and 50 km/h for cross country, with a cruising range of 450 km. It uses S&T Dynamics transmission system and In-arm Suspension Unit (ISU), which allows the tank to sit, stand, kneel, and lean.

The primary weapon is a 120mm smoothbore gun, developed by Hyundai Wia which can fire advanced kinetic energy ammunition and is equipped with autoloader for on-the-go ammunition loading, even in rough terrains. The secondary armament includes 7.62 mm coaxial gun and K6 heavy machine 12.7 mm guns. The sophisticated fire-control system (FCS) is linked to an extremely high frequency radar system. It has advanced munitions with indigenously developed improved tungsten Armour Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarcting Saloot (APFSDS) kinetic energy penetrator. It is also using Korean Smart Top-Attack Munition system (KSTAM), that comprises of soft-kill and hard-kill anti-missile defence systems.
It has state-of-the-art features; enhancing crew situational awareness, C4I (Command, Control, Communications, Computers, and Intelligence) uplink, GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) uplink, IFF/SIF (Identification Friend or Foe/Selective Identification Feature) system compliant with STANAG 4579 and Battle Management System (like Inter-Vehicular Information System) allows the data sharing with other friendly armoured vehicles and helicopters. It uses a 3D detection, tracking radar and a thermal imager to detect the enemy.

It has a composite armour, Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA) for all-round protection against direct fire. In addition Non-Explosive Reactive Armour (NxRA) is also under consideration. The ammunition rack also employs blow-off panels to protect against explosions.

M1A 2 Abrams U.S.

A third generation tank, proven as MBT by U.S. Army, is designed by General Dynamics Land Systems. This tank has incredible technology offering enhanced firepower, smooth mobility and superior armour. It is claimed as one of the most feared MBTs.

m1a2.jpg
A Honeywell AGT1500C multi-fuel gas turbine engine offers good performance, but requires a lot of maintenance, extra fuel and logistics. The turbine is very quiet when compared to other diesel engines and produces reduced sound, for which the tank is known as "whispering death". However, General Dynamics is working on diesel engine to replace the gas turbine engine which would be lighter, low fuel consuming, produces less heat and is less audible. It has maximum speed of 67.5km/h and cruising range of 426km with six speed Allison X-1100-3B Hydro-Kinetic automatic transmission. Its suspension system is made up of high-hardness-steel torsion bars with rotary shock absorbers. The tank has a halon fire fighting system to automatically extinguish fires in the crew compartment.

The tank is armed with two 7.62mm M240 machine guns and a .50 cal M2 machine gun and can store 42 rounds of 120mm, 11,400 rounds of 7.62mm, 900 rounds of 50 calibre ammunition, 32 screening grenades and 210 rounds of 5.56mm ammo.

The tank offers major protection against all well-known anti-tank weapons integrated with heavy exterior composite armour and steel-encased depleted uranium armour at forward hull and turret. Few Abrams tanks are equipped with a Softkill Active protection system, the Missile Countermeasure Device AN/VLQ-6 (MCD) used to hamper the guidance systems of some Semi-Active Control Line-of-sight (SACLOS) wire and radio guided anti-tank missiles and infrared homing missiles.

The tank can also be fitted with a Tank Urban Survival Kit (TUSK), which is a field-installable kit that can upgrade the tanks without depositing to a maintenance or service depot. It enhances survivability in built-up environment.

Leopard 2A7 Germany

leopard.jpg
This tank is MBT of German Army which is an upgraded version of Leopard 2A6. It is manufactured by Krauss-Maffei Wegmann Kiel (KMW). It is powered by a heavy duty MTU MB 873 Ka-501 liquid cooled V-12 Twin turbo diesel engine, developing 1,500hp at 2600 rpm with a maximum speed of 72km/h and cruising range of 450km. Although weight is increased, the vehicle also has increased mobility due to improved torsion bar suspension components and advanced friction dampers. It can drive through 4 metres deep water using snorkel and 1.2 metre without it. It can climb vertical objects over one metre high. It is well protected against conventional war, provides all-round protection from anti-tank missiles, RPG fires, mines and IEDs through multiple armour modules.

This tank has better accuracy and longer range of fire as compared to other tanks due to its powerful gun and advanced fire control system. It is armed with 120mm L55 smoothbore gun capable of firing standard NATO ammunition and new programmable 120mm HE-rounds. The smoke grenade launchers on either side of turret conceal the tank from enemy observation. It can be fitted with additional attachments, like mine roller or a dozer blade for clearing mines and obstacles. It is equipped with Drager NBC and fire protection system.

Type 10 (TK-X) Japan

It is an advanced fourth-generation MBT manufactured by Japan for Ground Self Defence Force. It is claimed as the most advanced main battle tank in the world. It is light in weight giving outstanding mobility.

type10.jpg
It has a 4-stroke cycle V8 water-cooled diesel engine with 1,200hp, 2300 rpm giving a maximum speed of 70km/h and range of 480km. It is equipped with Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) that allows the tank to reach 70 km/h forward as well as reverse and sophisticated hydropneumatic active suspension system which allows it to adjust its stance and absorbs recoil when firing.

It has advanced fire control system, with 120mm smoothbore gun, a 12.7mm heavy machine gun and Type 74 7.62mm cannon. It also has advanced C4I (Command, Control, Communication, Computer & Intelligence) system which ensures interoperability with the ground troops through infantry's outdoor computer network "Regiment Command Control System" (ReCS). Furthermore, it is networked to enable sharing of information among same tanks. It has day/night sights mounted around the turret giving a full 360° coverage and input to the C4I system.

T-90MS -Russia

tgoms.jpg
This new tank is a modernized version of the T-90, designed by Kartsev-Venediktov and manufactured by Uralvagonzavod. It has new armour, new engine, improved gun. turret, updated observation and aiming system. And a V-92S2F engine at 1,130hp rated power with 72 km/h maximum road speed and range of 550 km has typical drivetrain arrangement, with rear placed engine and transmission. Its main armaments are a 2A46M smoothbore tank gun, one coaxial machine gun 7.62mm and remote weapon system with 7.62mm on the top of the turret. The automatic machine gun of the turret is designed to destruct stationary and moving targets. The machine gun mount with two-axis stabilization enables the tank commander to deliver effective fire from his station inside the vehicle at a halt and on the move independently of the main armament. There are six smoke-grenade dischargers mounted on each side of the turret. The ERA modular based panels mounted on rear and side of the tank offer protection against small weapons and shell splinters.

Al-Khalid is Main Battle Tank of Pakistan Army and upgraded version of Chinese Type 90-II tank, manufactured locally by a joint venture of Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) of Pakistan and China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO). It is named after the dauntless Muslim commander Hazrat Khalid bin Waleed. It has two variants (Al Khalid I & II).

alkalid.jpg
It has a Ukrainian based KMDB 6TD-2 liquid-cooled diesel engine at 1,200hp rated power with 72km/h maximum road speed. It is designed with a 125 mm smoothbore and a 7.62 mm-coaxial machine gun, a 12.7 mm externally mounted air-defence machine gun. With hunter-killer capability, it has modular composite armour and explosive reactive armour (ERA), high hardened steel plates over rolled homogeneous (RHA) layers. The crew is protected by NBC system comprising of internal fire extinguisher and explosion-suppression systems.

The tank is equipped with a laser warning system and is itself coated in IR (infrared) reflective paint to lower the thermal signature, Al-Khalid-II is equipped with an Active Protection System (APS). Pakistan’s aim of self-reliance has been achieved and the upcoming variants of this tank would allow us to compete with the current advanced warfare environment, thus forming the backbone of Pakistan’s defence capability as well as defence industry.
maj_sana_nasri.jpg

Written By: Maj Sana Nasri

The last time I spoke with Lt. Gen Tariq Khan, he told me that the T-80UD are the best tanks we have in our inventory.

The last time I spoke with Lt. Gen Tariq Khan, he told me that the T-80UD are the best tanks we have in our inventory.
The writer spoke / write her piece of mind or what she observe. She is not writing about the best in our inventory but she wrote about best and modern in the world.
By the way the best we have is Al Khalid MBT.

So you are right and the man who is known as the Tank Commander (Gen Tariq Khan) is wrong ? The best that we have is T-80UD. Tariq Khan has the authority and you cannot deny that. Anyways, good luck.

So you are right and the man who is known as the Tank Commander (Gen Tariq Khan) is wrong ? The best that we have is T-80UD. Tariq Khan has the authority and you cannot deny that. Anyways, good luck.
Kindly prove me that Mr. Tariq Khan said what you are quoting here.:sick:

I don't need to. Find out yourself. You may ask anyone to arrange a one on one meeting with Gen Tariq Khan in D.I Khan. Maybe then you'll find out :)

You'd be surprised to hear that generals or senior officers barely know anything about weapons like tanks or their specifications .. It's not their job.. Their job is to command.

The oldies trained on the older tanks while they were in the regiments.. Tanks like T-56,T90 and UDs.

Ask any Armour unit officer and you will get a more detailed reply.

Or you can compare the basic specs of both tanks yourself.

I don't need to. Find out yourself. You may ask anyone to arrange a one on one meeting with Gen Tariq Khan in D.I Khan. Maybe then you'll find out :)

I met him at an ex at Tilla ranges a few years back... Armour (AZs),Mech Infantry and arty (both Self propelled and towed) were involved.. UAV arty obs was also tested from the control centre from Mangla..

A relative of mine in 6 Armoured Div is still serving and has served previously under Gen Tariq Khan. I met Gen Tariq almost 4 months ago in D.I Khan. After all, we are entitled to our own opinions but to good to know that you met one of the best Generals to brace our Army.

A relative of mine in 6 Armoured Div is still serving and has served previously under Gen Tariq Khan. I met Gen Tariq almost 4 months ago in D.I Khan. After all, we are entitled to our own opinions but to good to know that you met one of the best Generals to brace our Army.
I met mikhail Kalashnikov and he told me M-16 was best and don't ask me proofs go google it.:lol:

Best tanks in World (can be called 4th Generation)

K1A2 Black panther
T14 Armata
Type10
Altay
Leo2A7+
Merkava IVm

(3+ Generation tanks)

OplotM
T99A2
T90MS
Ariete C2
Leclerc S2
Challenger 2
M1A2Sep
PT16
Leo2A6-7

In 3rd Generation there are many tanks.
Al Khalid is perhaps the best tank in South Asia, but I will still include it in 3rd Generation category.

Last edited:
The greatness of tanks is measured by 4 things dynamic Mobility,armor,firepower and most importantly it's design.
The faster it's produced the better. Terrain is also a factor that can affect the performance of a tank.

Best tanks in World (can be called 4th Generation)

K1A2 Black panther
T14 Armata
Type10
Altay
Leo2A7+
Merkava IVm

(3+ Generation tanks)

OplotM
T99A2
T90MS
Pt15
Challenger 2
M1A2Sep
PT16
Leo2A6-7

In 3rd Generation there are many tanks.
Al Khalid is perhaps the best tank in South Asia, but I will still include it in 3rd Generation category.

So, we disregard:
AMX LeClerc (France) at least 3rd
C1 Ariete Mk1 (Italy) 3rd
C2 Ariete Mk2 (Italy) 4th
Type 90 Kyū-maru-shiki-sensha (Japan) 3rd
Type 10 Hitomaru-shiki sensha (Japan) 4th
Arjun (India) 3rd
EE-T1/T2 Osorio 3rd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_main_battle_tanks_by_generation

Back
Top Bottom